• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Target shooting on Fed/state/county public lands?

NMOCr

Anyone know what the requirements are for target shooting on Federal/state/Mckinley county lands? Do you have to have written permission as I think the NM department of gaming says you do with private land? I know there is a 150yrd requirement from occupied buildings, that you can not shoot across public streets (according to game and fish website). They have a private shooting range here but I really cant afford the yearly fees plus the required NRA membership to join them. I'd just like to be able to go out to some hoggback and do some recreational shooting. Thanks.

ManInBlack

Anyone know what the requirements are for target shooting on Federal/state/Mckinley county lands? Do you have to have written permission as I think the NM department of gaming says you do with private land? I know there is a 150yrd requirement from occupied buildings, that you can not shoot across public streets (according to game and fish website). They have a private shooting range here but I really cant afford the yearly fees plus the required NRA membership to join them. I'd just like to be able to go out to some hoggback and do some recreational shooting. Thanks.

Every land management agency is going to have its own rules. Forest Service and BLM rules are posted on their websites. Go to the website actual area you plan on doing your shooting in so you can be aware of any special closures. I would google or call the state and county for their rules.

Wherever you go, please pick up whatever you use for targets as well as spent brass. People who trash out areas are the reason some of them get closed.

OC for ME

Sorry in advance.

But, do you have any unmanned shooting ranges in NM. We have a few scattered around MO in some of our state parks. Quite remote. I typically inform one of the park rangers on what day that I will be doing some shooting when we pull in for a camping trip.

AH.74

Sorry in advance.

But, do you have any unmanned shooting ranges in NM. We have a few scattered around MO in some of our state parks. Quite remote. I typically inform one of the park rangers on what day that I will be doing some shooting when we pull in for a camping trip.

Yes, I have two areas of BLM land I go to regularly. One spot is just a favorite in the woods, another has berms along the edges of some open space.

At the second one I have seen rangers driving through once or twice in all the time I've spent there. In the last year or so there has also been a volunteer hanging around occasionally. He's a friendly guy and just checks to make sure you're following the rules and shooting in a safe manner.

elebuttfish

Some what familiar, but I will be living between Los lunas and Belen, maybe. I use to go out to the Rio Puerco and shoot in the arroyos but I don't know how much stuff has changed. Thanks any way. 15 years ago there was a burger place called "The Real Burger" on Don Gaspar, are they still around?