• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Southpark Mall

Hareuhal

Hey all,
New member, been reading the Hell out of this website for the last couple days as I've finally purchased my handgun and set an appointment for my CCW.
I've also been enjoying the freedom of OC since finding out Ohio allows it.

I was just curious what your experience has been with Southpark mall in Strongsville?
I just called them and spoke with Security regarding their firearm policy and he informed me that their policy is that of the state.
When I explained that I wanted to OC, he was unsure so he brought a Strongsville police officer in on the conversation.

First off I want to say I was impressed that the officer was completely aware of the law, and he further stated that he doesn't know of any No-Gun signage at the mall. The security guy came back and informed me that they DO allow concealed carry, but he wasn't sure about OCing. I then had a brief conversation with the police officer and we discussed all of the pros and cons of carrying, concealed and Open, before the security member came back and stated that they would prefer me NOT to OC, and I explained that I would respect their wishes.

Overall I was impressed with them, they were very polite and the officer was very knowledgeable. I thanked him for knowing the laws, as I know many do not.

I was just curious if anyone had any actual experience with OCing there, and if so did they give you a hard time?

Thanks.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
PLEASE don't call places and ask what their policy is.

If a place doesn't have signage or hasn't thought about the matter, you have just put the issue on their radar. Bad move. Most people/places are risk averse, and your call can put the matter front and center. Not good.

If a place does have signage/doesn't want guns, you have a) encouraged them to post/post more signage, and b) informed yourself rather than forcing them to inform you by "conspicuous" signage which you must "knowingly" ignore in order to (hopefully not) be sucessfully prosecuted.

It's much better to use your suave, debonair, and informed manner to deal with issues that may arise rather than bringing them up ahead of time.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

In other words, you called a place that had no 'rules' against OC. Now they do.

This was not 'progress'.

Welcome to the forum! :D Keep open carrying! :D Don't call ahead. :cry:

If you are not comfortable entering a location, let us know (by editing your profile here) where you are in Ohio. There is probably a member that will join you in OC'ing on your shopping trip.

Last edited:

JSlack7851

If you going to OC as a way of life, don't forget one thing, a VOICE RECORDER, and a good set of batteries. This will protect you against a different kind of thug and it only takes once and its paid for itself a dozen times over.

Welcome to the Forum.

Hareuhal

In other words, you called a place that had no 'rules' against OC. Now they do.

This was not 'progress'.

Welcome to the forum! :D Keep open carrying! :D Don't call ahead. :cry:

If you are not comfortable entering a location, let us know (by editing your profile here) where you are in Ohio. There is probably a member that will join you in OC'ing on your shopping trip.

PLEASE don't call places and ask what their policy is.

If a place doesn't have signage or hasn't thought about the matter, you have just put the issue on their radar. Bad move. Most people/places are risk averse, and your call can put the matter front and center. Not good.

If a place does have signage/doesn't want guns, you have a) encouraged them to post/post more signage, and b) informed yourself rather than forcing them to inform you by "conspicuous" signage which you must "knowingly" ignore in order to (hopefully not) be sucessfully prosecuted.

It's much better to use your suave, debonair, and informed manner to deal with issues that my arise rather than bringing them up ahead of time.

Hmm..Guess I never saw it that way. Sorry fellas ;[

Also, I'll be editing my profile with my actual location as you stated..I've gone to a few places and so far haven't had any problems (yet), guess I'm just trying to build up to when I do have a problem. Maybe one day I'll meet up with one of you!

MyWifeSaidYes

Come on down to Waverly, OH on June 8th. There will be quite a few 2A supporters in town that morning.

There is a trial (hopefully) for an open carrier who was wrongly arrested.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...port-for-US-veteran-needed-in-Waverly-on-4-27

We'll be meeting at the Tim Horton's in Waverly at 7am. Tim Horton's is OC friendly.

If you can make it down (many are carpooling), I'll buy you a donut!

Hareuhal

Come on down to Waverly, OH on June 8th. There will be quite a few 2A supporters in town that morning.

There is a trial (hopefully) for an open carrier who was wrongly arrested.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...port-for-US-veteran-needed-in-Waverly-on-4-27

We'll be meeting at the Tim Horton's in Waverly at 7am. Tim Horton's is OC friendly.

If you can make it down (many are carpooling), I'll buy you a donut!

Yes I saw that. I'd really like to come. I'd like to be more than just a forum-member.

jackson

Carpool to Waverly Court House 6/8/12

I intend to be there for this trial. Anyone carpooling from Lebanon?

Malcolm

How is Strongsville with OC?

My father lives in North Royalton, and I'm currently living in Tucson. I'm thinking of moving to the Cleveland area in a few months. I've never seen anyone OC in Ohio before.

Strongsville mall is the place to be in that part of the state though. People from all around. I'd like to see some OC'ers there, maybe it will be me in a few months.

What about Randall Park mall? OC an AR-15? I haven't been there since I was a kid, and even then it was a pretty shady place to be.

Anyway, good luck with the trial. My regards to anyone who has to go through that kind of injustice.