• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Seattle OC

fire suppressor

Two weekends ago my girlfriend and I decided to spend the day in Seattle, not for anything in particular just to go and explore. I do not normally go to Seattle and when I do it is normally for a formal occasion where open carry is not appropriate. Having never open carried in Seattle before I thought this was as good of a time as any. I was a little nervous about Seattle I have been carrying on this side of the water for years and feel like I know what to expect and how to handle my local police but Seattle is new territory and I have no idea what to expect when dealing with police in the big city.

We parked on the Bainbridge side and walked on to they ferry. I have also never opened carried top side of a ferry and was a little nervous because a year or two ago I remember reading one of our members got detained for open carry at the bremerton ferry terminal. I made it on and off the boat no problems that made me feel better.

Walking off the boat my girlfriend asked me to take her to pioneer square because she has never been there. It was a good day for it a mariner's game had just let out and the usual rift raft where no where to be seen we where lost in a sea of mariner's fans and baseball hats.

Our first stop was to the kilt store where because I am half Scottish browsed for a while until I decided I could not afford one. Then we walked the rest of the stores until we found a business called klondike penny on washington. It is a photo studio that takes your picture and makes it look like you are in the 1800's.

We decided it sounded like fun and where able to walk in and get our photo taken right away. When we where done and paying the woman behind the counter finally saw the gun on my belt despite the fact I walked in with it. While I was paying I pointed out the firefighters manorial across the street to my girlfriend and told her the story of how the 4 firemen lost their lives. The woman working in the store looked confused her eyes kept going back and forth between my gun and the 9/11 tribute shirt I was wearing. She looked like she had something to say I but never did and we left.

Next stop across the street to the firefighter manorial to pay my respects. I was incredibly moved to see someone had left flowers next to every fireman. After that we walked to the public market and killed some time there. We passed a few king county sheriff's getting food from a street vender but my strong side was away from them. We killed a few more hours walking around the public market and surrounding area without any problems. My favorite part of the day was in the late afternoon while stopped waiting for our cross walk light to turn my girlfriend looked down and me and yelled "oh you are open carrying today! I did not notice!" That got me laughing so hard we almost missed our light.

We had sushi had a nice place near the public market and came home. All and all a great day and a very positive open carry experience. Now that I have open carried in Seattle I think I would be more likely to do it again. No one seemed to care or noticed that surprised me

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I have been OC in Seattle for the past 2 years or so and I was again today. I was just not downtown. My daughter and I went to opening day/Windermere Cup on the Montlake Cut and then up the Ave to the Bookstore and EJ's Burgers. No issues today in the U district.

Deros, M1Gunr, Squeak and others have walked downtown, the Market and other spots many times with no fanfare. For the most part I don't think anyone notices.

I have also OC'd at the Torchlight Parade, Pride Parade and many other events in downtown with SPD pretty much ignoring me....

DCKilla

I don't venture into Seattle very often. In fact, I avoid it like the plague, well almost. I do find that OCing there once in a while would be a good thing for our movement and to reduce criminal activity. A large majority of voters live in and around Seattle, so, having a positive effect on the people their would be extremely beneficial. I'm stating the obvious, but good stories encourage me.

amlevin

Our first stop was to the kilt store where because I am half Scottish browsed for a while until I decided I could not afford one.

They've got a "special" for those that are only half Scottish. Half a kilt for half the price. Your choice, front or back. Only catch is that you have to leave the store wearing it in the "traditional style" ;);)