• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP Application question

tag

Here's my situation: I live in Montgomery County (VA) for the school year (in an apartment, not on campus). During the summer I will most likely be going back to Fairfax County. My license has my Fairfax County Address. The CHP application asks for residential address. Can I put my Montgomery County address and apply in Montgomery County, or do I need to apply in Fairfax County? Montgomery County doesn't fingerprint, so that is my preference if I have a choice. Do I need to change the license on my address (I'm not really sure when the DMV considers you 'moved' if you're living at two addresses...)?

One other question. Was the issue of providing a driver's license and having it copied when submitting an application ever settled? I recall some threads arguing whether or not it was an extralegal requirement, but I can't remember or find the outcome.

TFred

Here's my situation: I live in Montgomery County (VA) for the school year (in an apartment, not on campus). During the summer I will most likely be going back to Fairfax County. My license has my Fairfax County Address. The CHP application asks for residential address. Can I put my Montgomery County address and apply in Montgomery County, or do I need to apply in Fairfax County? Montgomery County doesn't fingerprint, so that is my preference if I have a choice. Do I need to change the license on my address (I'm not really sure when the DMV considers you 'moved' if you're living at two addresses...)?

One other question. Was the issue of providing a driver's license and having it copied when submitting an application ever settled? I recall some threads arguing whether or not it was an extralegal requirement, but I can't remember or find the outcome.
I don't know if your school address is considered your "legal address" or not. Need someone smarter than me to answer that one.

As far as providing your driver's license, I am sure that that is not a legal requirement at this time, but I suspect that most jurisdictions still require it.

Sooner or later "we" are going to have to decide weather or not we want to push that as an issue, especially after July 1st, when SB563 goes into effect.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Are you old enough to vote? If so, have you registered to vote? That would be where you are a resident. BTW, federal law allows college students to vote either at their "home of record" or where they attend college. You could change your residence to Montgomery County and not only apply for the CHP there but qualify for lower insurance and personal property tax rates.

If you change your residence to Montgomery County, all you need to do is fill out the back of the DMV registration card with your new address and maik it in to them. Your current DL will still be good and you could use it as your state-issued picture ID for firearm purchases, but would need two other forms of ID with matching Montgomery County address.

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Are you old enough to vote? If so, have you registered to vote? That would be where you are a resident. BTW, federal law allows college students to vote either at their "home of record" or where they attend college. You could change your residence to Montgomery County and not only apply for the CHP there but qualify for lower insurance and personal property tax rates. ....

+1 - Your residence is the place where you reside. It's that simple. You pick. In order to generate documentation of present address for the clerk's purposes, all you really need is some mail addressed to you that you received at that address, a copy of a lease, or as Skid says, a voter registration card. You need a government-issued photo-identification card when you present your CHP upon demand by a law enforcement officer, but you do not need one in order to apply (except for nonresident permits, the rules are different).

tag

Thanks for the fast responses. I'll be applying in Montgomery County soon, then.

Riana- I was under the impression that Fairfax County fingerprinted, but I guess my information was outdated. Regardless, I think it's cheaper to apply in Montgomery County, that's still my preference.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the fast responses. I'll be applying in Montgomery County soon, then.

Riana- I was under the impression that Fairfax County fingerprinted, but I guess my information was outdated. Regardless, I think it's cheaper to apply in Montgomery County, that's still my preference.

$50 is $50, whether inside the Beltway or out in the tulies. Unless you were going to sucumb to the extralegal demand of Fx (have they quit yet?) to make additional copies and bring in a SASE.

stay safe.

tkd2006

You know with the address on your chp and your drivers license being different you would not be able to use them when you purchase a firearm. You would need something else that matches your drivers license. Just a heads up.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
really? does montgomery county have a bad rep?
for reference, greene county is $15.

Not to my knowledge they don't.

I frequently hear that some municipalities try to charge more than is allowed. One charging less is startling to say the least :eek:

mk4

i don't doubt for a minute, either, that many charge the statutory maximum.

Blk97F150

Good grief, that is ridiculous. Two questions:

Has anyone forced their hand by submitting only the items that are required by law and then pushing them through the process to get the CHP?

and

Has anyone told them that their bullying days are over in less than 2 months?

TFred

I'm not FFX Cty.... but I have been trying to persuade a buddy from work to submit ONLY the required paperwork. I don't know what he is going to do (or has already done...).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
According to their website, the filing fee is only $15.

http://www.montgomerycountyva.gov/content/1144/100/197/1744.aspx

If so, they may in violation of the law. The Clerk must charge $10. I'm pretty sure that the State Police are not going to give up their $5. Does anybody know if the FBI does not charge for providing criminal history record information - especially since the law makes provision for paying them for that information?

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

K. ... The clerk shall charge a fee of $10 for the processing of an application or issuing of a permit, including his costs associated with the consultation with law-enforcement agencies. The local law-enforcement agency conducting the background investigation may charge a fee not to exceed $35 to cover the cost of conducting an investigation pursuant to this section. The $35 fee shall include any amount assessed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation for providing criminal history record information, and the local law-enforcement agency shall forward the amount assessed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation to the State Police with the fingerprints taken from the applicant. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5 to cover their costs associated with processing the application. The total amount assessed for processing an application for a permit shall not exceed $50, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the application. Payment may be made by any method accepted by that court for payment of other fees or penalties. No payment shall be required until the application is accepted by the court as a complete application.

If in fact the FBI does not charge, there is a good argument that the $35 that goes to the local cops is excessive and CHP holders are due a refund.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
But, But...if they don't charge the $50.00, they will have to raise property taxes to cover the shortfall
162019_158468014197255_2734108_n.jpg

Last edited:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Unless you were going to sucumb (sic) to the extralegal demand of Fx (have they quit yet?) to make additional copies ...

stay safe.

Fauquier Co. has the same requirements for extra copies, and every page of every copy must be notarized. My CHP expires in July, and I've missed the window for the renewal to be tacked on to my current permit, so come July 1, I'm going to submit my renewal with only one copy :D

Roscoe