Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The day I decided to get armed. A very near miss story.

First time poster here. My particular story is somewhat lamer than most of yours. Two guys in a pickup truck pull beside me in a parking lot in broad daylight. They then signal me to roll down my window; I wasn't extremely suspicious at this point, so I did. They then told me they had a $9000 LED TV they were willing to sell me for cheap. They wanted me to pull over and talk about it. When I said that I wasn't interested, they became irritated and almost insistent, asking me to pull over and "make them an offer". Now, I'm only 20, so I obviously can't carry a handgun, but I do have a decent knife with me. Anyways, after about the third time I told them 'no', the guys started looking around suspiciously. One of the guys yells OK, and they drive off. Here is what I concluded afterwards: 1. No TV that can fit in a truck bed costs $9000 2. Something about it just didn't feel right: I'm almost certain they were targeting me, thinking I was some kind of ignoramus. My guess is the tv was broken or stolen, and they were trying to pawn it off on me. Maybe they had something more sinister in mind?

New member and first time poster.
    Back in Oct. 2011 my fiance and I were headed to my dad's house one night. Traveling through a part of down nick-named "The war zone". (Central and Wyoming for those who live in Albuquerque) Was around 2130. Came to stop light next to bus stop. Four druggies immediately come up to my car. Two of them stand in front and two on the passenger side where my fiance was sitting. They start hitting the window trying to break it. At the time I was unarmed. I called the police right away but I would've hated myself if they got into my car. Light turns green and I start inching my car forward letting the two druggies, in front of my car, know I had no intention on staying there. The next day I went out and purchased myself a P95 that I carry in my car or openly on my hip. Working on scheduling a CC class.

Welcome to OCDO!

Quote Originally Posted by bwiltgen2 View Post
    .... I start inching my car forward letting the two druggies, in front of my car, know I had no intention on staying there. The next day I went out and purchased myself a P95 that I carry in my car or openly on my hip. ....
    So you start out with 280,000,000 grains* at - what? - 42.33 fps** and are now dropping down to 124 grains at 1120 fps? Sure shows the compromises one makes for convenience, doesn't it?

stay safe.

* about 2,500 lbs.

** about 0.5 mph
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by pyite View Post
    Self Repost:
    Driving home late one night, bartender....its raining. I lived in downtown Hampton, Va at the time and take a shortcut through the ghetto (Shell road > Quash). The road takes a 90 degree turn and I see a big hooptie (caprice, town car, etc...) in the middle of the road. I immediately think "break down" but grab my pistol anyway (it was in the cup holders, yeah yeah it was a long time ago). An urban gentleman gets out of the passenger side of the vehicle and approaches my window. I had it open about 3 inches bc I had been smoking a cig. He pulls out a knife (no clue what kind - shiny - metal) and says "Get out the car." I point my pistol at his chest and say "No." I could think of nothing witty at the moment. He bolted, tripped over something, got in the car, the driver backed up and hit a chain link fence and took off. I sat there and was all , WTF, WTF. Then I sped home. Didnt report it to the police, didnt get the license plate number, there are many hoopties around hampton and I couldnt even tell what color it was. Oh well. Hopefully homey shat himself.
    I don't know - I think that was quite appropriate. I'm glad it had the reaction it did, too.

Hmmm...

This was back in the early 80s. I was in the US navy and assigned in San Diego. I had taken a few days off to go watch the second landing of Columbia at Edwards Air Force Base. I had hitch-hiked up to Lancaster and had a motel room for the night. The next day I hiked and hitched out to the base entrance, I got a ride from a guy in small foriegn vehicle and told him that I had military ID an could get us to a closer public viewing area. The regular public area was about three miles from the strip. But the military and news media viewing area was only one mile from the strip. I got us in on my military ID and we watched a great landing. When we were getting ready to leave, I mentioned that I was going to catch a train to San Luis Obispo to meet a friend. He said that he could take me to Glendale and that I could catch the train there.

While in route we had some small talk, but then he started putting his hand on my leg. I moved it off several times, trying to be polite (I was tryiing to hitch to Glendale) and then told him that I was not interested and that I was hetero. He seemed to accept that and he took me to the train station. I went in and bought my ticket and noticed him hanging around in the back of the terminal. I was hungry and hadn't eaten much that day. I had about an hour before my train was there, so I asked if there were any fast-food joints around and someone told me there was a McDonalds a few blocks away. So I set off for a gnash, and this guy starts following me. I am carrying my camping backpack, which had a hatchet loaded last, at the top. After a few blocks this guy is closing and I really don't know what his intentions are. When he gets within about 20 feet he starts to talk to me. I turn around and tell him again that I am not interested. He continues to advance. I take the pack off of my back and pull out the hatchet, my only weapon. I explain that now he has crossed a line and that his only chance for survival is to walk away. (it was actually a little more crude than that, but memory fails me as to the exact wording). He makes a quick apology and does an about-face and heads back to the train terminal, where he left his car.

So far, that is the closest I have been to having to defend myself.

David

Ugh, sick weirdos! Glad you didn't become a rape victim. People do not think it happens to males, but it does. No, means no.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Bear View Post
    First time poster here. My particular story is somewhat lamer than most of yours. Two guys in a pickup truck pull beside me in a parking lot in broad daylight. They then signal me to roll down my window; I wasn't extremely suspicious at this point, so I did. They then told me they had a $9000 LED TV they were willing to sell me for cheap. They wanted me to pull over and talk about it. When I said that I wasn't interested, they became irritated and almost insistent, asking me to pull over and "make them an offer". Now, I'm only 20, so I obviously can't carry a handgun, but I do have a decent knife with me. Anyways, after about the third time I told them 'no', the guys started looking around suspiciously. One of the guys yells OK, and they drive off. Here is what I concluded afterwards: 1. No TV that can fit in a truck bed costs $9000 2. Something about it just didn't feel right: I'm almost certain they were targeting me, thinking I was some kind of ignoramus. My guess is the tv was broken or stolen, and they were trying to pawn it off on me. Maybe they had something more sinister in mind?
    You can carry a rifle, head over to the Texas subforum for more information if you're interested!

Quote Originally Posted by pyite
    ...it's raining ... An urban gentleman gets out of the passenger side of the vehicle and approaches my window. I had it open about 3 inches ... He pulls out a knife ... and says "Get out the car."
    I wonder how many people that would work on?
    I'm in a steel cage, door is locked, window is mostly up, he'll have a hard time getting to me before I can drive away, yet he thinks I'm going to abandon my safe place to get closer to a strange guy holding a knife on me?
    He's an idiot, & anyone who would do what he says is a worse idiot.

I know someone who did basically the same thing, only leaving her house.
    Two gals came to confront her about her putting her hands around their son/nephew's neck a bit earlier.
    Tell her to step out on the porch, & like the idiot she is, she did.
    They beat her up.
    Then she called the cops.
    I figure, if you're going along with the proposed plan when you could easily stay safe, you want to participate in the fight.

I point my pistol at his chest and say "No."
    That works for me.
    Despite what Hollywood would have us believe, there's no need to be witty (or coarse).
    Clear concise communication gets the job done.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Thats why I never go walking in the neighborhood, or on a trail anywhere without my CC gun. NEVER! There is to many crazy people out there, and I have run across some.

As far as giving people the finger and cursing at them, I also have to watch myself, becasue I conceal carry all the time. It has become a lifestyle for me over the almost 5 years I have been CCW. Its hard for me to restrain sometimes, because people do get on my last nerve, when Im driving, cutting me off, on my bumper, etc. I cant stand it, but being a responsible CCW person, I must restrain from flipping people off, cursing at them, even though I really REALLY want to, I have to stop myself. If I do have to pull the trigger sometime(God forbid) I dont want any fuel to the fire so to speak. And flipping someone off is considered a confronting, confontational gesture, especially to a prosecuting attorney. They would have field day. Dont want that.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman1 View Post
    Thats why I never go walking in the neighborhood, or on a trail anywhere without my CC gun. NEVER! There is to many crazy people out there, and I have run across some.
    Dudeman1 welcome to the forum.

Have to wonder why you start off with 4 posts to threads that are over 2 years old - that is severe necro posting and will not earn bonus points. Please stay more current.

Also stessing that you CC only is intended to convey what message? I'd rather prevent negative encounters w/BG than "surprise him.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

As far as giving people the finger and cursing at them, I also have to watch myself, becasue I conceal carry all the time. It has become a lifestyle for me over the almost 5 years I have been CCW. Its hard for me to restrain sometimes, because people do get on my last nerve, when Im driving, cutting me off, on my bumper, etc. I cant stand it, but being a responsible CCW person, I must restrain from flipping people off, cursing at them, even though I really REALLY want to, I have to stop myself. If I do have to pull the trigger sometime(God forbid) I dont want any fuel to the fire so to speak. And flipping someone off is considered a confronting, confontational gesture, especially to a prosecuting attorney. They would have field day. Dont want that.
    Imo, one has a moral duty to treat others with kindness and respect. Although some people certainly test my adherence to that principle. And granted given sufficent buttmunchery on the other's part, you can't fault too heavily the average job who gives in and devolves to their level of flipping somebody off or whatnot.

However, I strongly agree that WHEN CARRYING one has a much stronger duty to not only refrain from being a jerk towards others, but a duty to avoid confrontation if at all possible. If you can walk away, even if in the legal right not to, just wallking away from somebody who is trying to instigate is clearly the only policy when CCing or OCing.

Ime, most OCers/CCWers to a very large extent ARE exercising restraint when carrying. They are an incredibly responsible and low crime demographic I might add

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Have to wonder why you start off with 4 posts to threads that are over 2 years old - that is severe necro posting and will not earn bonus points. Please stay more current.

Also stessing that you CC only is intended to convey what message? I'd rather prevent negative encounters w/BG than "surprise him.
    I posted because did not pay attention to the date, and I will stay current from now on. CC=Conceal Carry. Anytime you can walk, drive away from a threat, its a very good thing,and I have many times. Concealed carry is just that, concealed, people cant see it. Open carry is just that, open. It can be seen. This can do one of three things, deter the situation, get your gun taken from you and used against you, or just get you shot when the criminal sees your gun on you if you walk in on a robbery or something to that nature. Concealed carry is said to be concealed, as it is named, and you surprize the criminal when you have to draw your weapon and stop the threat. :
    Last edited by dudeman1; 08-09-2013 at 01:55 PM.

I posted because did not pay attention to the date, and I will stay current from now on. CC=Conceal Carry. Anytime you can walk, drive away from a threat, its a very good thing,and I have many times. Concealed carry is just that, concealed, people cant see it. Open carry is just that, open. It can be seen. This can do one of three things, deter the situation, get your gun taken from you and used against you, or just get you shot when the criminal sees your gun on you if you walk in on a robbery or something to that nature. Concealed carry is said to be concealed, as it is named, and you surprize the criminal when you have to draw your weapon and stop the threat.
    I really don't care how a responsible person carries as it is a matter of personal choice. Still repeating urban myths will gain you no traction here.

These "could happen" scenarios have been thoroughly debunked countless times.

Show me/us one verifiable cite where an OCer was subject to a gun snatch, preemptively taken out or had his gun stolen as a primary factor anywhere in these United States in modern times - military, security & LEO excepted. Many have searched - none passed the test......none.

Will it likely happen sometime, someplace....sure, but when it does the resultant ratio will resemble something like .00001% I like those odds.

Then consider that a CCer looks just like a typical victim, zero deterrent value. I'd sincerely prefer to not have to "surprise" anyone and if the SHTF who amongst us is not faster at drawing from OC as opposed to CC?

Bottom line - don't spend much of your credibility trying to convince us that CC is better. It is an option, but it is not superior. That and personally I would never celebrate (dancing banana) at being put in the position of using lethal force.

Yata hey

Open carry is just that, open. It can be seen. This can do one of three things, deter the situation, get your gun taken from you and used against you, or just get you shot when the criminal sees your gun on you if you walk in on a robbery or something to that nature. Concealed carry is said to be concealed, as it is named, and you surprize the criminal when you have to draw your weapon and stop the threat.
    I think you are on the wrong web site. This is OPENCARRY.ORG it is about open carry if you haven't guessed. I have my CCW cards from Idaho, Arizona, and Utah but I usally open carry. It is my choice and it usally gets a great response if they even notice.

If you could please site a case or two of a open carrier (other than a cop) that has had his gun taken from him and shot with it? Good Luck

As it was said why have to suprise the criminal when you can just deter him from starting crap in the first place. I know I have detered a crime as I was in our local liquor store a guy came and as he headed for the counter he seen me and my pistol. He stopped and quickly ran out of the store. 15 minutes later the guy robbed a gas station down the street. My OC prevented the liquor store from being robbed, he went and found an easier target.

Re: The day I decided to get armed. A very near miss story.

I posted because did not pay attention to the date, and I will stay current from now on. CC=Conceal Carry. Anytime you can walk, drive away from a threat, its a very good thing,and I have many times. Concealed carry is just that, concealed, people cant see it. Open carry is just that, open. It can be seen. This can do one of three things, deter the situation, get your gun taken from you and used against you, or just get you shot when the criminal sees your gun on you if you walk in on a robbery or something to that nature. Concealed carry is said to be concealed, as it is named, and you surprize the criminal when you have to draw your weapon and stop the threat.
    Please cite one instance where a person OCing got shot because of there OCed gun. And no the guy that had his gun grabbed and then chased the thief does not count. I almost always have a CCed bug when I OC thus if you grab for the primary and somehow manage to defeat my SA and level 3 Safariland holster you have just invited me to shoot you repeatedly with my BUG.

Sent from my AOSP on geeb_att_us using Tapatalk 2
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

God almighty, I have never ever seen a bunch of grown *** men get their panties in a wad about open carry. Listen, I am all for open carry, concealed carry, the second amendment, our gun rights. If someone wants to carry open, more power to them, I fully support it. It scares me personally to do it, but I support it, anything with carrying, open or concealed I support. Carry on.

Just making conversation, didnt mean to get everyone mad.

Moderators, if im not welcome on here, ban me. But im all for gun rights just like all of you. And as far as the dancing banana , ****** ********. I wasnt making fun of open carry or carrying or using a gun in any way.
    Last edited by dudeman1; 08-09-2013 at 01:53 PM.

I never ever said CC was better then OC. Never, because I do not think that. Its a personal choice,a nd I support both, but do just one unless im hunting, or at the range. I never said I was trying to convince or persuade any of you to CC over OC. Over reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by PALO View Post
    Imo, one has a moral duty to treat others with kindness and respect. Although some people certainly test my adherence to that principle. And granted given sufficent buttmunchery on the other's part, you can't fault too heavily the average job who gives in and devolves to their level of flipping somebody off or whatnot.

However, I strongly agree that WHEN CARRYING one has a much stronger duty to not only refrain from being a jerk towards others, but a duty to avoid confrontation if at all possible. If you can walk away, even if in the legal right not to, just wallking away from somebody who is trying to instigate is clearly the only policy when CCing or OCing.

Ime, most OCers/CCWers to a very large extent ARE exercising restraint when carrying. They are an incredibly responsible and low crime demographic I might add
    Thank you for the kind words, and understanding Palo. I think you get me. OC and CC are both good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

The dancing banana is off the post. Sorry if it offended you.

God almighty, I have never ever seen a bunch of grown *** men get their panties in a wad about open carry. Listen, I am all for open carry, concealed carry, the second amendment, our gun rights. If someone wants to carry open, more power to them, I fully support it. It scares me personally to do it, but I support it, anything with carrying, open or concealed I support. Carry on.

Moderators, if im not welcome on here, ban me. But im all for gun rights just like all of you. And as far as the dancing banana goes, lighten up man, ****** ********. I wasnt making fun of open carry or carrying or using a gun in any way.
    No one was rude or disrespectful too you, but don't expect that erroneous information will go unanswered.

You didn't make anyone mad, you are welcome here - hope you stay and keep an open mind. Saying that you are scared of OC is OK too - its not for everybody. You might try to attend a local meet n' greet and gain some insight as to what OC is really like.

As far as lighting up on use of lethal force - that's not liable to happen any time soon - waay to serious a subject. where there are no winners.

You will note that some verbiage was edited in you prior/quoted post. We are a widely read public forum and do not speak in a manner that grandmothers, children, ministers, etc. might find offensive.

We are all asked to be self-moderating on OCDO, so a formal introduction to a Moderator should not be necessary. Nevertheless I will say again "Welcome to OCDO".

Yata hey

Moderators, if im not welcome on here, ban me. But im all for gun rights just like all of you. And as far as the dancing banana , ****** ********. I wasnt making fun of open carry or carrying or using a gun in any way.
    I've always wanted to say this. Thanks for the opportunity.

IBTL! (In before the lock for those thast do not want to bother looking it up.)

Normally I'd add my "Welcome to OCDO" to everybidy else's, but it seems you are intentionally making it hard to extend that greeting. You are the FNG here but start off in a forum dedicated to promoting the lawful OPEN CARRY of holstered handguns by putting down the notion of open carrying and by making statements about the use of lethal force in circumstances where it has not been reasonably established that the "standard" of imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury has been established.

I openly and freely admit to being suspicious, often to the point of bordering on paranoia. Your choice of threads to respond to as your first contacts with us (yes, this is more than a mere forum - it is a social association of sorts) being threads that were left sleeping does make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Had you, being interested in the topic, responded by both introducing yourself and suggesting a notion that did not seem to have been covered in the original discussion, I might not be as suspicious.

We do not require anybody to submit a resume or curriculuum vitae - unless they are holding themself out as a subject-matter expert - but it always helps to both introduce yourself and to "get the flavor of" the forum and some of the posters before jumping in telling us how and why we are all wrong.

The moderators and administrators have a great deal of patienc, as they hold the belief that folks can learn and change behavior. But you have managed to be put on short notice a lot quicker than many other newbies who have not been involved very long in the open carry "movement". FYI - the members of the forum who are not moderators or administrators seem to have less patience than those "in charge". Which, I suppose, is why we are not in charge.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    FYI - the members of the forum who are not moderators or administrators seem to have less patience than those "in charge". Which, I suppose, is why we are not in charge.

stay safe.
    dam Skidmark you got us figured out....lol

Thank you for the kind words, and understanding Palo. I think you get me. OC and CC are both good.
    Glad we can agree on such an important topic, one that ultimately can have life or death consequences.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by slowfiveoh View Post
    I suggest you evaluate realistically.

"Less than 2 seconds", while seated (seatbelt on) in a vehicle, weapon concealed under fabric on your person, is simply not a reality.

Was the firearm in a glovebox or other external area?

Even then, less than 2 seconds is not a reality.

Two seconds while seated a vehicle is very realistic with the right carry position and holster.

Yes if one is not paying attention and has their firearm at the 4 o'clock with their seat belt holding their shirt or jacket down over their firearm. It could be very well slow your draw down a lot.

Left handed people have a lot harder time to driver side threats then right handed people.

I offer a firearms in and around vehicle training course that could and can help you understand the realities of use of your personal defensive weapons around your vehicle.

Here's a link o one of my clients experience with the training.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...round-vehicles
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast