• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under 21 OC in Arizona

bwyand92

So I have down some browsing on this forum and I am coming to the conclusion I am allowed to carry a handgun as long it is in plain view.

I have also noticed some talk about the type of holster. Obviously a hip one is for sure, but I am more concerned about chest ones, or one I can strap to my leg.

I deal phones, and buy them on craigslist, and riding around Phoenix with a couple Gs in cash on you is a little scary, especially when your not the biggest guy.

I know where I am from originally, you cannot OC, but basically if you are carrying due to having a lot of cash on you and is real business related (not drugs) your going to get let go, and if it ever makes it to court its going to get dropped before you get there.

So my 3 questions:

1) Can I open carry under 21

2) If so, what are my limitations? I would assume I could go anywhere in public unless posted other wise (no bars, schools, or any other official stuff I would assume).

3) What type of holster do I need to have?

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Having cash is not a part of the law. I would have a recorder

You can carry openly if you are 18 years old, but not yet 21. Having cash is not a part of Arizona law on open carry, but some police might think it makes your open carry more understandable.

The real risk you have is uninformed or anti-gun police, so I would carry a recorder with you. As you deal in phones, perhaps you have one that can perform this function.

There is the federal Gun Free School Zones law that could be used against you if you are carrying within a thousand feet of an elementary or high school, but I have never heard of it being enforced in Arizona. The first version was ruled unconstitutional in 1995, in Lopez v. U.S., but president Clinton managed to push another, almost identical bill through Congress that year. It has never been constitutionally challanged, which is why I think so few people are charged under it. The federal government does not want to lose a case like this in the Supreme court.

Then again, very few people want to be the test case.

I am not a lawyer.

I think you would want to use a retention holster, such as the Serpa. Others on this forum have found it to be useful.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

I know where I am from originally, you cannot OC, but basically if you are carrying due to having a lot of cash on you and is real business related (not drugs) your going to get let go, and if it ever makes it to court its going to get dropped before you get there.

Just curious, where is this magical land where the police are reasonable and only enforce laws dealing with actual damage to persons and property? Here in the real world, police see large amounts of money, seize it as prima facie evidence of drug dealing, and the onus is on you to prove you acquired it legitimately. A gun carried in violation of the letter of the law, in addition to a large amount of cash? You can kiss it goodbye (it's a proceed of your drug dealing enterprise, after all), and you can say hello to a felony charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asset_forfeiture#United_States
In civil forfeiture cases, the US Government sues the item of property, not the person; the owner is effectively a third party claimant. Once the government establishes probable cause that the property is subject to forfeiture, the owner must prove on a "preponderance of the evidence" that it is not. The owner need not be judged guilty of any crime.

Various states have their own asset forfeiture regimes.

bwyand92

I am originally from a small town in Ohio. Youngstown to be specific, and anyone who lives or knows anything about youngstown should understand why cops turn the over cheek when you have a 9mm strapped to your side.

Yeah any dick head cop can rape you left and right if he wants too, but like I said, judges who are from youngstown understand how bad of an area it is. More or less a Highway State Patrol told my father that he is insane not carrying a gun around when he empties his cash machines (he can empty anywhere from 1-5 grand a night).

Someone mentioned the Serpa holster. Is that on the belt or what? I honestly really want to avoid a belt one, and would really like a shoulder of leg on

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Here is a link with information on Serpa holsters. Thigh holsters are available

I am originally from a small town in Ohio. Youngstown to be specific, and anyone who lives or knows anything about youngstown should understand why cops turn the over cheek when you have a 9mm strapped to your side.

Yeah any dick head cop can rape you left and right if he wants too, but like I said, judges who are from youngstown understand how bad of an area it is. More or less a Highway State Patrol told my father that he is insane not carrying a gun around when he empties his cash machines (he can empty anywhere from 1-5 grand a night).

Someone mentioned the Serpa holster. Is that on the belt or what? I honestly really want to avoid a belt one, and would really like a shoulder of leg on

Here is a link. There are many models of Serpa holsters:

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/SERPA-Tactical,1416.htm

Sonora Rebel

Avoid being 'cute' or 'Ramboesque' when you open carry. Just use a decent retention holster... such as a Blackhawk Serpa, Galco, Uncle Mike. Retention is not required but advisable. They are 'belt' holsters.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
........you cannot OC, but basically if you are carrying due to having a lot of cash on you and is real business related (not drugs) your going to get let go, and if it ever makes it to court its going to get dropped before you get there.

Extremely unlikely and very poor advice IMO.

bwyand92

Retention holster hold it in pretty good?

Basically you gotta give it a decent pull to get it out.

I ride a street bike a lot, and really rather not have a 9mm fall out its holster doing 90 down the 202 :p

azcdlfred

Looks like everyone has provided good advice. I would add that it's best to go to the source. The law regarding carrying under 21 is ARS-13-3102.B.3 . I would also recommend purchasing the Arizona Gun Owner's Guide .

Someone mentioned dressing like an adult? Under 21 and carrying a gun you are a cop magnet. Take out the piercings, cover the tattoos and dress like Chatsworth Osborne, Jr.

Regarding holsters - the Miami Vice (shoulder holster) and Rambo (thigh holster) look will draw unwanted attention to you (remember, you are a cop magnet). Go with the professional look - belt holster and don't forget the spare magazine on your support side (assuming a semi-auto).

Finally, if you want to help restore your right to carry whatever way you want, join AzCDL .

My 2 cents,
Fred

Sonora Rebel

I ride a street bike a lot, and really rather not have a 9mm fall out its holster doing 90 down the 202 :p

Uh... no. Serpa's feature a finger release detent button and the rest have thrumb break snaps. You'd have a really hard tiime losing a pistol from a Serpa. Riding a bike is much like riding a horse. I use a full flap holster (M1916 or UM-84) for that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Pictures of recent motorcycle vs deer impact at 55 pmh from the VA sub-forum - both trashed completely.

Rider and gun grip scratched up some - came to a rolling stop together, gun still in holster as designed.

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

Morbidph8

Pictures of recent motorcycle vs deer impact at 55 pmh from the VA sub-forum - both trashed completely.

Rider and gun grip scratched up some - came to a rolling stop together, gun still in holster as designed.

Wow, I no longer have a bike, but dang I have never hit a deer. Awesome the gun stayed put. Did ya eat the deer? :D

Phoenix David

You may wish to be a good citizen and portray OC in a good light by doing the speed limit.

sharkey

You may wish to be a good citizen and portray OC in a good light by doing the speed limit.
Only

Hahaha! Only snowbirds and people doing illegal things do the speed limit or less here.

If you do the speed limit you'll be viewed as suspicious and pulled over for sure. I get passed doing 85 on the 202 and 101 all the time.

ETA: When I see cops I slow down to 80 unless I'm on the I-10 near Phoenix (70 -75 there) and the cops pass me. I love Arizona!

Last edited:

JesseL

This is me a couple weeks ago, visiting friends in the valley:

NightRider1.jpg

(I'm a lefty, so my pistol isn't visible in the pic)

Didn't catch a bit of grief.

sharkey

This is me a couple weeks ago, visiting friends in the valley:

(I'm a lefty, so my pistol isn't visible in the pic)

Didn't catch a bit of grief.

A long gun on opencarry.org :shocker:

OK, sorry, bored. Carry on.

Oh wait, this was about the pistol on your other side.