• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The cop took my gun...

love4guns

Thursday I was leaving work and on my way home I got pulled over for doing 55 in a 35. I had my handgun laying on the seat next to me. The cop walks up to my door and says, "Oh I see a gun there", thats when I say to the officer "yes sir I am OCing and I am going to grab my car regristration out of the glove box now." Thats when he says to me, " Let me remove that pistol for my own safety". Not knowing if the cop had that right or not, I told him ok. So he took my gun unloaded the mag and went back to his patrol car. I am sure he ran the serial numbers to check to see if the gun was stolen. My question is could I have lawfully stopped the cop from removing my firearm? He turned out to be pretty damn cool in the end. He came back and said since you were so cool with me I only going to give you a ticket for "failure to obey a traffic sign-$30 fine". Then he asked me to open my trunk so he could leave me 9mm there. I popped the truck and layed the gun back there. All and all not a big deal but I wasnt aware a police officer had the right to remove my gun without cause for it....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
When you were pulled, you were under arrest and he could secure the gun if he wanted.
Yeah, it sucks!

I'm sure he did run the serial number. Sell the gun and buy a private sale replacement.

I have a lockable holster so I can give him the whole thing, but he can't see the serial number and yes, he would have a fit and yes, that would pretty much guarantee a ticket.

Where was this?

Last edited:

MuchoUno

I don't like the idea of opening my trunk for him. That gives him access to search.

love4guns

When you were pulled, you were under arrest and he could secure the gun if he wanted.
Yeah, it sucks!

I'm sure he did run the serial number. Sell the gun and buy a private sale replacement.

I have a lockable holster so I can give him the whole thing, but he can't see the serial number and yes, he would have a fit and yes, that would pretty much guarantee a ticket.

Where was this?

This was in Lynchburg about 45mins from Roanoke. Why do u suggest selling the gun is my firearm now in some database for law enforcment?

lockman

State Researcher
He ran your S/N, he got a visual search of your trunk, you got a ticket and you think the cop was cool.

Kudos to the police trainers for a job well done.

love4guns

He ran your S/N, he got a visual search of your trunk, you got a ticket and you think the cop was cool.

Kudos to the police trainers for a job well done.

LOL I went from owing over $200 to the city to $30 I think thats pretty damn cool. Also I have nothing to hide in my trunk. You telling me you'd rather pay $200 over $30???????

TFred

LOL I went from owing over $200 to the city to $30 I think thats pretty damn cool. Also I have nothing to hide in my trunk. You telling me you'd rather pay $200 over $30???????
It is unfortunate about the unnecessary serial number search, but he could have been charged with reckless driving as well, since it was 20 over. Add higher insurance premiums for several years to that fine as well.

TFred

TFred

Since the LEO appeared to be asking... I wonder what he would have done if the driver had said, "Why don't you let me pop my trunk and you can just put the gun right in there?" Somehow I doubt it would have been sufficient at that time, even though it was obviously sufficient after he ran the serial number...

TFred

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Here is a datum of the dollar value of ones rights.

We have only the rights that we defend. A civil servant per se has only powers.

user

Accomplished Advocate
As a purely technical matter, no, the cop didn't have the authority to take the gun unless he had some objective reason for believing that you represented a present danger to him or others. It would generally be best, I think, to "secure" the gun in a "closed container in the vehicle" before the cop gets out of his car, to avoid the whole scene. Other comments are valid, such as 20+ mph over is a crime, not a traffic ticket, he did get a search of the records and the trunk for free, but then, well, he asked, and you said, "yes", so no harm done, and everything was perfectly legal. If you'd said, "no", as a practical matter (here's where we get out of technical legal land) you'd have had problems, and the local magistrate and GDC judge wouldn't care in the least whether what the cop did was legal.

scouser

Of course there is always the simple solution of remaining within the speed limit while driving with a handgun on your seat. That way the cop wouldn't have had a reason to stop you and wouldn't have had any cause to take your gun, run your serial number and search your trunk. Also, there's a really good chance that the time you saved by driving so quickly was all lost while you were sat on the side of the road being victimized

twoskinsonemanns

Well said. I cannot in good conscience say I agree with the choice to bend over for the cop to try to save a few dollars.
We must preserve our rights

mk4

Of course there is always the simple solution of remaining within the speed limit while driving with a handgun on your seat. That way the cop wouldn't have had a reason to stop you and wouldn't have had any cause to take your gun, run your serial number and search your trunk. Also, there's a really good chance that the time you saved by driving so quickly was all lost while you were sat on the side of the road being victimized

good advice!

and another side note / suggestion for the op, fwiw...
open carry in a holster vs laying it on the front seat. leo might never have seen it and it's much much better than having your firearm flying off the seat in a sudden stop or accident.

PeteXD

I fully agree

good advice!

and another side note / suggestion for the op, fwiw...
open carry in a holster vs laying it on the front seat. leo might never have seen it and it's much much better than having your firearm flying off the seat in a sudden stop or accident.

and that ^^^ is why...

sawah

People that go 20mph over should have their licenses suspended and go to jail, IMO. You got off light. Slow it down.