• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't live in CA, but I had to write to Portantino.

Nevada carrier

I know I'm probably tilting at windmills, but I just wouldn't respect myself if I didn't put my thoughts on paper and mail them to the moonbat known as Anthony Portantino. I also wanted to share what I wrote with you all, as my letter is crossing the border into your state. You deserve to know what I'm about to mail to your legislator. I havn't sent it yet, and I wish to hear feedback before I do.

Dear sir,

My name is [name], A resident of your neighboring state to the east, Nevada. Regrettably, though I am not your constituent, I feel compelled to write to you today to express my displeasure with your recent legislation barring law abiding citizens from exercising their right bear arms in California as well as your new effort to extend that infringement to long arms.

It is unfortunate that you are reacting not to the real problem, but to a symptom of the real problem you are facing. The real problem is your state's lack of consistency and/or respect for the individual rights of the People; specifically, those enumerated by the second amendment. Your lack of respect is self evident. One need only look at your legislative accomplishments to see that.

Your lack of consistency is found in your state's failure to ensure that every qualified, law abiding Californian is afforded fair and equal access to the same right enjoyed by many in the majority of states in the union. That is to say, your state does not require every sheriff to issue a license to carry a concealed firearm to every citizen who meets a strict qualification criteria. You cannot grant arbitrary power to those with supreme authority and expect them not to abuse it arbitrarily, which is precisely what your states concealed firearms licensing system enables. Lets not mince words. Many, though not all sheriff's in California use your present scheme to facilitate outright bribery. I'm sure there is a concealed weapons permit for all who wish to contribute a sizable amount of money to their local sheriff's reelection campaign. This scheme is commonly referred to by your sheriffs as "discretionary," or "may" issue. Restore your citizen's their right not just to carry a firearm in plain sight but to a concealed firearms permit as well and you will soon find that the need for pointless legislation will evaporate. Then focus instead on guns in the hands of real criminals, rather than those who want to defend themselves and their families.

Clearly, you've failed to recognize the real issue here because you can't see the forest for the trees. You say you are appalled at the sight of People exercising their right to bear arms in protest, but you haven't taken your eyes off the firearm long enough to hear what those People have to say. Are the campaign contributions from the Brady Center really so large that they drown out the voices of the people you were elected to represent?

I'm quite certain that you are receiving enormous pressure from many who do not understand or do not even know there is an individual right to bear arms, A right that comes not from elected officials, courts or a piece of parchment, but from our creator. Because this basic understanding of civics and government isn't required to graduate high-school or cast a ballot, This lack of understanding is not surprising to me in the least. What is surprising to me is a man who is elected, and takes an oath which requires him to uphold the values this nation was founded upon, relents to the will of an ignorant mass. Rest assured, you will not fail as a leader if you loose reelection but preserved freedom for the People you represented.

If you're still inclined to pick and choose which rights the People shall enjoy, I would recommend seceding from the union which has guaranteed them. There are 49 other states that make up this nation. We are watching what you are doing and we are not amused.

Yours truly,

[name]

Last edited:

mjones

I know I'm probably tilting at windmills, but I just wouldn't respect myself if I didn't put my thoughts on paper and mail them to the moonbat known as Anthony Portantino. I also wanted to share what I wrote with you all, as my letter is crossing the border into your state. You deserve to know what I'm about to mail to your legislator. I havn't sent it yet, and I wish to hear feedback before I do.

Excellent letter! I appreciate your support.

rushcreek2

Exceptionally well composed articulation of the issue, and expressed with passion.

I think CA actually began to de facto secede from the Union back during the 1960's.

I believe such a letter should be printed in every major newspaper in CA as an open letter to that particular addressee. That way it won't totally fall on deaf ears.

Last edited:

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
"If you're still inclined to pick and choose which rights the People shall enjoy, I would recommend succeeding from the union which has guaranteed them."

The correct word is "seceding." Based on California's current tax/spend problems, I seriously doubt they'll succeed at anything, except bankruptcy.

Nevada carrier

"If you're still inclined to pick and choose which rights the People shall enjoy, I would recommend succeeding from the union which has guaranteed them."

The correct word is "seceding." Based on California's current tax/spend problems, I seriously doubt they'll succeed at anything, except bankruptcy.

Thank you for the correction, that would have been embarrassing.

acmariner99

I think this is brilliant! I think it is a good idea for out of staters to write the CA assembly and show them our disdain for the way they are running business over there. Businesses and individuals are leaving CA left and right for freer pastures if they can.

rushcreek2

The Kalifornia cure:

Increase 4 year and above university tuition by 1000+ percent,

Establish a 3.5 GPA requirement in order to qualify for sizable discount in tuition,

Veterans on the G.I. Bill should also qualify for a benefit = to full tuition, books, and fees at same discounted tuition regardless of GPA.

Universities will then cease to be incubators for leftist radical recruits.

Then maybe Californians will get California back.