• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry and Becoming a Police Officer

Ballistic Otters

Hey everyone! First post here on OpenCarry.org after a lot of lurking.

I live in Farmington, Maine, and I'm one of three people who OC in the town. I get stopped every now and again due to "man with a gun" calls, even though most people are pretty good about it.

I've always had a desire to eventually become a LEO, and a Sheriffs' deputy I know told me that Open Carry would all but shatter that pipe dream of mine. According to the officer, when they do the background check, the hiring agency likes to contact the Police Department in your town, and being known as a proponent of OC would likely result in my not being hired. Can anyone shed some light on whether or not this guy was speaking legitimately? If so, what the hell is wrong with the world?

Thanks,

John

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Has that deputy suggested that your history of driving a car, or of writing, or even eating donuts, will stand in the way of becoming a LEO? Those are all skillsets that LEOs need to be proficient in.

Or is the deputy trying to suggest that the police in your town would report you as a "troublemaker" or "unsavory character" or even "a dangerous person" because you are known to them as someone who exercises their right to OC?

So you are/have been the subject of MWAG calls. Have the responding officers discovered you committing any violation of the law when OCing?

Or is the deputy trying to use your known desire to become a LEO as leverage to impose his personal opinion about OC and those that are secure enough in themself to make you want to change your ways? If that's what he is doing, or you just think it is what he's doing, it deserves a formal complaint to his Sheriff and the Internal Affairs section of his department. Deputy sheriffs should not engage in attempts to intimidate citizens.

And that's what is wrong with the world regarding this situation. He's trying to intimidate you into not only changing your behavior but into abdicating your right to lawfully OC.

stay safe.

PS - please excuse my lapse in manners. Welcome to OCDO!

Last edited:

Ballistic Otters

Thank you!

Thanks a lot for your response! I got the inkling that he might be trying to intimidate me into not carrying, but wasn't quite sure. I've never been found doing anything illegal while carrying, and have a pretty good reputation with the community and the local LE agencies. Thanks for welcoming me!

John

sudden valley gunner

Your acquaintance may have some points that may influence the departments hiring of you. But who cares, go for it. We need LEO who respect individual rights.

And Good luck! (sincerely not meant as sarcasm)

DocWalker

It is funny the deputy said OCing legally as a non-LEO can keep you from OCing (as in police officer wearing a sidearm) as part of your duties. One would think that the department would like to have people that up hold the US Contitution.....but then again the goverment to include local goverments are moving away into dictatorships.