Thread: OC while on the water

OC while on the water

I was kayaking the other day and was thinking what about open carry on the rivers of Missouri. Does anyone have any knowledge or insight they can offer?

Carry on navigable streams, rivers, or other "waters of this state" will come under the same provisions as carry on land. With that said, you would need to be very careful on bordering waters such as the Mississippi River where it borders both MO and IL, where IL has certain jurisdiction on waters of THEIR state.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by cshoff View Post
    Carry on navigable streams, rivers, or other "waters of this state" will come under the same provisions as carry on land. With that said, you would need to be very careful on bordering waters such as the Mississippi River where it borders both MO and IL, where IL has certain jurisdiction on waters of THEIR state.
    Yes, and wasn't there a great deal of debate regarding the "Ozark National Scenic Riverways" and the state park status, which is a non-issue now.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    Yes, and wasn't there a great deal of debate regarding the "Ozark National Scenic Riverways" and the state park status, which is a non-issue now.
    That is correct. It was an issue prior to National Park Carry being allowed, if allowed under state law.
    Last edited by cshoff; 05-06-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cshoff View Post

Would their also be increased sense of concern if the waters also traveled through the municipalities that are unfriendly to OC? Just asking.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    Would their also be increased sense of concern if the waters also traveled through the municipalities that are unfriendly to OC? Just asking.
    To some degree, yes. As I mentioned above, carry on navigable streams, rivers, or other "waters of this state" will come under the same provisions as carry on land, so you are subject to the laws of whatever jurisdiction you happen to be in at the time as far as OC is concerned. That said, I don't think you'll find many cities or municipalities along any major waterways in this state that will attempt to enforce city or municipal code out on the water (they leave that up to the MO Water Patrol), but once you step out of the boat or pull up to a dock in their jurisdiction, it might be a different story.

While I have never OCed while on the water, I have carried shotguns and Rifles as well as my pistols in my boat while fishing or trapping or just going camping... I have never had a problem and have even talked to water patrol and game wardens with the weapon in plain sight. Never had a problem. I am hesitant to carry on me simply because of fear of going in the water with my firearm. I usually am more worried about water moccasins and the like more than a human threat though. I should also point out this is mainly on the local rivers around me (Big Piney, Meramac) rather than the Lake of the Ozarks or the bigger rivers on the border.