• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice recorder

Hareuhal

Well hello again
As I posted in my previous thread, I'm new to his whole thing.
Anytime I've gone out I've been ensuring my smartphone is recording everything, but I definitely want to go out and purchase an actual voice recorder.

With that being said, does anyone have any suggestions on which to buy? Any special features which I should search for...etc.

I don't want to buy something incredibly expensive (unless I should..), but I also don't want to buy anything cheap.

Thanks!

SovereignAxe

When I was looking for a recorder I looked mainly for ability to offload the sound files to a computer, either via USB or a memory card. I also wanted good sound quality, but AFAIK they all have decent sound quality.

I and several other members have the Sony ICD-PX312. It has both-a USB port and accepts MicroSD AND Sony's proprietary MemoryStick Micro cards. Not to mention the sound quality is fantastic.

Hareuhal

When I was looking for a recorder I looked mainly for ability to offload the sound files to a computer, either via USB or a memory card. I also wanted good sound quality, but AFAIK they all have decent sound quality.

I and several other members have the Sony ICD-PX312. It has both-a USB port and accepts MicroSD AND Sony's proprietary MemoryStick Micro cards. Not to mention the sound quality is fantastic.

Great! That's the one I was actually looking at on Best Buy's website! Luckily they have it in stock. I'll probably head over there today to purchase it.

With that being said, is there a running list of carry-friendly businesses going? It'd be a great idea to get a constantly updating thread of them!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I don't know a lot about smartphones, but I believe there is an app that will auto upload real time audio/video to an offsite server. You may want to look into that.

Hareuhal

I don't know a lot about smartphones, but I believe there is an app that will auto upload real time audio/video to an offsite server. You may want to look into that.

I'll have to look into it - I'm sure there is, but I definitely want to get an actual voice recorder. Just something that I know was designed to record voices. I don't want to rely on my phone and have it fail when I need it. I forgot today was Sunday and ventured all the way to Best Buy only to find out that I was 30 minutes late :p

N605TW

Activist Member
Modern voice recorders are great, you don't have to spend a lot to get decent recordings. I use two cheap recorders I found at wally-world. One is in the car mounted on the dash by my window for any road side chats that I might have. The other I carry on me for everyday conversations.

In Ohio, one party of a conversation must know that its being recorded. (that would be you, so you don't have to notify) Be careful if you travel, some states have laws that may require you to notify before you can record.

MyWifeSaidYes

Then you have your work cut out for you! Friend or Foe is a neat site. The gotcha is that YOU have to help make it a valuable resource.

The people at Ohioans for Concealed Carry (ohioccw.org) maintain a list of 'no guns' sites called the 'Do Not Patronize While Armed' database.

The problem with this type of resource is that the information may change at any time. A pro-gun manager may change their mind, or simply change. Don't depend on these lists.

Hareuhal

Then you have your work cut out for you! Friend or Foe is a neat site. The gotcha is that YOU have to help make it a valuable resource.

The people at Ohioans for Concealed Carry (ohioccw.org) maintain a list of 'no guns' sites called the 'Do Not Patronize While Armed' database.

The problem with this type of resource is that the information may change at any time. A pro-gun manager may change their mind, or simply change. Don't depend on these lists.

Yes, this seems to be the case. I don't have any problem with contributing. I just thought that maybe we could get a constantly updated thread on here of businesses (with locations) that are pro or anti. Make one post...everytime someone posts after that with information, the OP edits it & adds or removes information. Of course, I'm aware that the lists will update, but it's better than nothing! (At least, I think so..)

RCall

I am personally not a big fan of this particular database. There is an entry of one particular business that used to be posted and now is not. I e-mailed the address specified for changes to the database about 3 months ago and it is still listed. That makes me question the accuracy of other entries. IMO a rating system as to where folks could rate the accuracy or leave comments to verify the accuracy would better suit that specific database.

Hareuhal

Just updating that I bought this today and so far I am extremely pleased! Small and fantastic sound quality! Tested it even with music blaring and you could still clearly hear my voice. Great suggestion.

RCall

SovereignAxe

I am personally not a big fan of this particular database. There is an entry of one particular business that used to be posted and now is not. I e-mailed the address specified for changes to the database about 3 months ago and it is still listed. That makes me question the accuracy of other entries. IMO a rating system as to where folks could rate the accuracy or leave comments to verify the accuracy would better suit that specific database.

If you're referring to the friendorfoe.us site, that's because it's maintained by us, the users. The businesses have nothing to do with maintaining the validity of the listings.

If you're talking about the ohio site, I know nothing about it, so ignore this post.