• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prom Cut Short Bomb Scare, real life Q

Minnesota

heres the story:
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/05/06/prom-cut-short-in-brooklyn-center-after-bomb-scare/

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Sighs of relief in Brooklyn Center Sunday morning after a bomb threat called into a venue where a prom and two weddings were taking place turned out to be nothing.

Just to be safe, police evacuated the Earle Brown Heritage Center at about 9:15 p.m. Saturday night while a thorough sweep of the facility was made. Armstrong High School was holding their prom in the building, which was supposed to go until 11:30 p.m.

Instead the kids were evacuated and only got about an hour of their prom.

The caller allegedly told police that there was an explosive device planted somewhere in the Center, however a team of bomb-sniffing dogs failed to find anything suspicious.

Police are now looking to tie the dangerous prank to someone at the prom or one of the two weddings

So I have a question for all who are reading.

You are out and about your day with the family. (i know all this is unlikly) You are in a busy place when someone yells/metions they have a bomb. I understand there are A LOT veriables in this!

But in general, what would you do if you were in said place with a bomb threat and you could not clearly exit and the person with said bomb was there.

If you want to knock one of the biggest veriables out is said bomber doesnt have a dead man switch( bomb goes off when he dies, finger off button)

My girlfriend is from Robbinsdale MN, Plymouth MN. This prom was here cusins prom. I understand the prom was a "school" event so no guns but lets say this bomb threat you walked into was some where you could 100% carry no problems.

The girlfriend and I were just wondering what we would do, we talk a lot about these "what if's" since I now have a permit to carry. We both love the feeling of having me armed 24/7 incase we need it.

So its all up to you now to type, what would you do?

robdoar

That's a lot of what ifs.

Theres only 1 question to ask when debating if you should use deadly force.

"Is this worth dying or spending my life in jail for."

You will have a prosecution team that gets paid to try and figure out how you screwed up, and a jury that has all the free room and board they want to second guess your decision.

Were not police officers. If the fear of death or great bodily harm is present, then we need to be prepared for the potential consequences to adding a gun to.the situation.

Minnesota

That's a lot of what ifs.

Theres only 1 question to ask when debating if you should use deadly force.

"Is this worth dying or spending my life in jail for."

You will have a prosecution team that gets paid to try and figure out how you screwed up, and a jury that has all the free room and board they want to second guess your decision.

Were not police officers. If the fear of death or great bodily harm is present, then we need to be prepared for the potential consequences to adding a gun to.the situation.

Wow thats a great way to think of all my what ifs! Thanks for the advice!!

MyWifeSaidYes

I'm not an expert, so I can't tell if there is a dead man switch or not. Maybe it's on a timer that only the bomber can stop. Experiences reported from overseas is that you don't really get any warning when a bomb is detonated.

If I can't find a way out, can I make a way out?

Minnesota

I'm not an expert, so I can't tell if there is a dead man switch or not. Maybe it's on a timer that only the bomber can stop. Experiences reported from overseas is that you don't really get any warning when a bomb is detonated.

If I can't find a way out, can I make a way out?

Good point, I think if you could "make" you way out its better then being carried out in chunks... lol

Run like there is a 95%-off sale at the Cabelas gun counter.

Very good motivation to run like forest gump! :p

VII

Bomb Scare

Just a note, I graduated from Armstrong. Its sadto see what its gotten to.

Anyways, under the circumstances that you have presented, if I had no way to get out, I'd take the shot. Now I know that this is a controversial situation, butif this man with said bomb was intent to hurt my wife,my son, or my self, I promise you he would not walk away from the situation. I pray to god that I don't have to resort to lethal force, but if that's what is necessary, yeah, I'd do it.

robdoar

Just a note, I graduated from Armstrong. Its sadto see what its gotten to.

Anyways, under the circumstances that you have presented, if I had no way to get out, I'd take the shot. Now I know that this is a controversial situation, butif this man with said bomb was intent to hurt my wife,my son, or my self, I promise you he would not walk away from the situation. I pray to god that I don't have to resort to lethal force, but if that's what is necessary, yeah, I'd do it.

Be careful what you put online.

I hate answering "what ifs". God forbid I ever use a gun in self defense.... I don't need a prosecutor displaying pages of internet posts that I was "just itching to shoot someone" and "I've been dreaming about it for years."

VII

new

New to the forum, it didn't even cross my mind. The main part of what I meant to say is that I pray that i never have to use my firearm, but if I do, I know what is right and wrong. Thanks for the concern though, its appreciated.

robdoar

New to the forum, it didn't even cross my mind. The main part of what I meant to say is that I pray that i never have to use my firearm, but if I do, I know what is right and wrong. Thanks for the concern though, its appreciated.

Of course.. it's a sad world, and more sad that we have to think like that, but we have to think of all of the angles when we have taken the responsibility of self defense, when our lives, freedoms, and the well being of ourselves and families are at risk.