• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eric Cantor PAC supprting gun-hating Lugar over gun rights supporter Richard Mourdock

Repeater

Has anyone heard about this?

Cantor-allied Young Guns Network urges non-Republicans to vote in Lugar race
Barney Keller, a spokesman for the Club for Growth, which has been laying down heavy cash on Mourdock's behalf, said of the mailer, “Regrettably, Eric Cantor’s actions confirm the worst of what grassroots conservatives dislike about a Washington Republican leadership that is more interested in protecting its own than in promoting conservative principles and candidates.”

David Codrea writes about this today:

Republican ‘Young Guns’ solicited Democrats to support anti-gun Lugar
The strategy is insidious: “t is targeted to non-Republicans, as it reminds voters that Indiana's GOP primary is an open one in which Democrats and independents can vote.”

There is no principle the so-called “moderates” will not forego, and no constituency they will not abandon in their single-minded party über alles focus. Thus scare tactics are being employed, often, and by those who know how, with fear-generating headlines like “[Democrat Joe] Donnelly has a better chance of beating Mourdock than Lugar in the general election.”

As far as pure gun owner interests go, so what? He’s a damn sight better than Lugar.

Here is the 'Young Guns' flier -- Remember, it's for the Children!

120427_mailer_on_lugar_1100.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Eric has never given much but lip service to 2A, and most of that has been weak.

But in politics the incumbent is always preferable to the challenger. Even when the incumbent is tainted. To be otherwise is to admit the possibility of losing one's own place at the trough.

Why else do they spend millions in campaigns to get jobs that do not pay enough to make the one of Obama's ($250,000)millionaires?*

stay safe.

*That's a rhetorical question. Really it is.

The Wolfhound

Clearly not a 2A fan

Eric Cantor is only a Conservative to the national TV audience. We in Virginia (especially those of us in the 7th District) know better. I do support his votes about 70% of the time. For the other 30% he is just damed wrong!:D

Last edited:

Repeater

Cantor seems worried -- Robo-Calls alerting supporters of Primary Challenge

Cantor seems worried. He wants his supporters to place yard signs supporting him for the June 12th Primary.

Of course, he doesn't mention his challenger by name. He won't even debate him.

His challenger at least belongs to the GOA and VCDL, unlike Eric.

scouser

Eric Cantor is a *****. Got absolutely zero respect for him. If he'd like to argue his case then I'm more than willing to explain it to his face at a location :p of my choosing. He's welcome to contact me through pm here

riverrat10k

Another black mark against Cantor.

I would really like to see high turnover in congressional representation. Maybe these guys would start governing instead of campaigning.

Last edited:

Repeater

Another black mark against Cantor.

I would really like to see high turnover in congressional representation. Maybe these guys would start governing instead of campaigning.

Governing requires courage. Cantor has none:

GOP leaders go slow on Eric Holder contempt vote
Hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt? Not so fast, says House Republican leadership.

Speaker John Boehner of Ohio, Majority Leader Eric Cantor of Virginia and Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy of California have decided to slow Rep. Darrell Issa’s drive to hold the attorney general in contempt over the controversial Fast and Furious program, a move that could infuriate conservatives who have been calling for Holder’s resignation.

The delay could be a month or even longer, according to lawmakers and aides familiar with the issue.

Some within House GOP leadership circles would like Issa to abandon his plan for a committee and floor vote, which was sparked by a 64-page memo last week, which laid out the case for contempt.

They fear negative political fallout from citing the U.S. attorney general with contempt of Congress in an election year.

House GOP leaders are remaining mum on their plans. On Wednesday, Boehner, Cantor and McCarthy met privately — without any staff present — to discuss how to handle what many House Republicans complain is a glacially slow investigation into the scandal, according to several sources with knowledge of the meeting. Under the Fast and Furious program, federal agents allowed roughly 2,000 guns illegally purchased in the United States to “walk” to Mexican drug cartels as part of a botched plan to track down who was behind the purchases.

GOP = Cowards and Fools.

An alternative.

riverrat10k

Thanks for spoiling my day, Repeater!

Can't imagine why investigating a CRIMINAL would be politically dangerous, though. *sigh* except that acceptance of blatant criminality seems to be the norm nowadays. God (Allah, Bhudda, voices telling me what to do, etc.) help us.

TFred

So I guess now the question is, will Cantor support the nominee, Mourdock?

I haven't looked to see if anything's been said yet.

TFred
I don't really trust MSNBC, but this is interesting. If the reporting is accurate, it would seem that at least Cantor knows when to cut his losses. This article was published just prior to the primary election:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/08/11602290-cantor-distances-himself-from-lugar

Although, from the end of the article:

"A GOP campaign operative called Cantor’s move “wise” and said any further connection to Lugar would “hurt him with the activist base of the party.”"

I think that ship has sailed, and is already half-way to France.

TFred

streetdoc

I wish there was a viable alternative to Cantor! Sometimes I vote for the best candidate, lately it's been more of who will do the least amount of damage. I won't throw away a symbolic for somebody that has no chance just to make a statement.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I wish there was a viable alternative to Cantor! Sometimes I vote for the best candidate, lately it's been more of who will do the least amount of damage. I won't throw away a symbolic for somebody that has no chance just to make a statement.

In almost every election, I have to vote for the better of the bad.:banghead:

richarcm

Eric Cantor had a big event at the Hylton in Short Pump about a month ago or so. I debated going and open carrying and eventually did. I got there a little late so I couldn't get inside of the actual ballroom but I did see/hear most of it from the doorway. There was CIA and Secret Service there watching me but they never said a word to me. Nobody did.....