• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC banned at Poulsbo sportsman club

papa bear

how would OC be ny less safe than CC and how would insurance know the difference ?

if i am not safe on their property, than i am not safe any where

massivedesign

Er, RFGC doesn't allow any loaded firearms when entering the property:
FIREARMS: No concealed firearms are allowed on R. F. & G. property. All firearms must be
unloaded when entering R. F. & G. property.

Plus, they have the stupid 1 round rule:
RIFLE RANGE: No more than ONE round will be loaded at a time in any rifle or clip/
magazine. No rimfire (.22 or .17) rifles on the rifle range w/o the Rangemaster’s permission.

And forget about approaching the pistol range while open carrying your unloaded firearm:
PISTOL RANGE: No quick-draw shooting is permitted. No speed shooting. No pistols in
holsters. Keep off all dirt banks and berms.

Touche'!

But I guess an unloaded open carried pistol is still an open carried pistol. And the pistol side will allow you to have a gun in a holster (unloaded) as long as you tell them you will NOT be shooting that gun.

ManInBlack

Touche'!

But I guess an unloaded open carried pistol is still an open carried pistol. And the pistol side will allow you to have a gun in a holster (unloaded) as long as you tell them you will NOT be shooting that gun.

Hmm...did you read the same thing I did?

No pistols in holsters.

No distinction between loaded/unloaded.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I've OC'd at the Marksman no problem. I also shot that gun at the range, un-holstered, dropped the mag with the good stuff, and fired the cheap stuff.

ManInBlack

I've OC'd at the Marksman no problem. I also shot that gun at the range, un-holstered, dropped the mag with the good stuff, and fired the cheap stuff.

I assume you mean "dropped the mag with the good stuff and the round in the chamber." ;)

There no reason to carry any defensive weapon that is not loaded to its maximum capacity.

Whitney

Open Carry @ PSC

For some unknown reason to me I was up early today and decided to go shooting. I had not been to the Poulsbo sportsman club in a while and it is so close it sounded like a good option. When I got there I signed in and read their rules, term and conditions posted on the wall. The rules had recently been revised and had a fairly recent date in it. I was surprised when I read "open carry is not allow with exception to organized events, concealed carry allowed".

Now lets get things strait I am not complaining or trying to speak down on the club it is their property and they can do what ever they want. I am not trying to bash them or go off on a rant but this is a open carry forum and this is open carry related.

I shot for about an hour with some nice people to my left and right. The range officer was present but was not over aggressive and stayed out of your way. All and all it was a nice day to get out and shoot without having to drive a distance. I was a little surprised with the printed no open carry rule as I do not remember seeing it posted before but I did not allow it to ruin my day

Here You Go it is part of the range rules.

I conceal most of the time I shoot there (rifle).
I have been told there is a certain amount of liability with allowing shooting from the holster. To preclude this type of shooting open carry is not allowed. While I do not necessarily agree I understand the theory of planning for the lowest common denominator. Every persons level of expertise is different.

Range Rule
13. No open carry is allowed on the range except for organized matches. Concealed carry is allowed

~Whitney

waterfowl woody

Oh. Ok. Well the Washington Arms Collectors has just as much to do with this thread as the Washington Administrative Code does.... absolutely nothing, NADA, ZIP.

really nada nothing zip, huh? This is very relavent as we are all here to see open carry not be discriminated against, but time and time again gun business are the ones banning our right to open carry. Washington Arms Collectors is a huge deal as they are a non profit organization that says they fight for our 2A, but give every anti fuel when they make rules against our rights.
I see this gun range the same way as the WAC group and both are part of the NRA.

I see this issue spreading around the state with all gun related businesses. What kind of message does this show others.

Yes I know they are on private property, but what isn't.

I guess I will only be able to open carry on my own property, state land, and the woods. soon the last two will be private as well with permitted access, oh wait they are. where does it stop!

Wow there should be a web site with people for open carry so we can tell these businesses that we don't like it and won't support it.

Ah your right nothing NADA.

Vitaeus

The more I read about the various outdoor ranges the less likely I am to give them my money. The indoor range I use in Tacoma doesn't care if I OC, I get head of the line as a member, I can change my targets anytime I want to bring it in, and I can bring extra folks in easily.

fire suppressor

If you want to complain about WAC, then start a thread complaining about WAC. This thread is to complain about Poulsbo Sportsman Club. Otherwise lets just complain about EVERY place that has a firearms restriction right here on this thread.

Not trying to complain just spread the knowledge, how you interpret the message is up to you

fire suppressor

The more I read about the various outdoor ranges the less likely I am to give them my money. The indoor range I use in Tacoma doesn't care if I OC, I get head of the line as a member, I can change my targets anytime I want to bring it in, and I can bring extra folks in easily.

Bully's eye?

tombrewster421

I've not had a problem OCing at the Tacoma sportsmans club. I even read their posted rules when I was there last month. I just checked their website and could find no mention of rules. :)

fire suppressor

As much as I would prefer the gun club would allow me to open carry I could still see myself going back. If we get right down to it and be honest about it, it comes down to money. The PSC is only a few miles away from my place and the cost of gas it would take me to drive to port orchard or across the hood canal bridge every time I want to shoot would quickly add up to more than my cost of the range fee for the day.

Unless I start having negative experiences at PSC I could see myself going back. Its not always easy but I am choosinga not to let the new rules get to me

Last edited:

kparker

Shooting from your holster is not mentioned in the rules I could find but I have been told many times by different range officers it is not allowed because it is a "unsafe practice" and potentially dangerous to the people around you.

Depends on the design of the range, but to address just one aspect: if the firing line is on a concrete pad rather than soft dirt or sod, then yes indeed it's an unsafe practice--any ND while drawing is an immediate danger to those near you on the line.