• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oops, loaded OC'd in California

greengum

So I own a machine shop here in Henderson and moved here from Anaheim like 3 years ago or so. I did the whole unloaded OC and even did a couple meetups so I should really really know better. Anyways back to the story, I have been working 12 hour days for 2 1/2 weeks straight without a day off. Needless to say I'm a zombie at this point. Everything is on auto pilot, and I am burned out. Well I finished the job this Sunday, loaded up the die in my truck and left for Harbor City. I stopped at an AM/PM to get some coffee in Barstow or Victorville. I made my way to the counter and the clerk said the coffee was free officer. I was like what? Then it hit me. I AM OC'ing LOADED IN COMMIE LAND!! I grabbed my coffee and feeling like the now criminal I am started to get really nervous. I'm trying to remember the rules there. Was it the bullets have to be in the glove, or the exhaust pipe, or in my pocket? And the gun has to be unloaded out of reach? Or was it in the open but not within 1000 feet of a school pc 626 point <insert random number here> or the second Monday in May if it is raining? FUUUUUUU I found myself trying to think what a gang member would do. Then I realized I don't know any gang members let alone how one would think about hiding a gun. So I decided to unload it and put in under the back seat. Every other trip I make out there I just leave my firearm at home.

Let this be a lesson to others. Don't act like a simpleton like I did. Not passing a checkpoint into the wonderful state of California I forgot I had to give up some Rights. It just shows how silly things get sometimes. A hard working American can become a felon for crossing an imaginary line. I wish you guys the best in the fight for our Rights out there.

Sorcice

Encased and unloaded in ca unless you have a sheriff/ court issued permission slip. Used to be just unloaded open carry only but now pretty much only permission slip conceal carry is allowed unless you meet exemptions to carry openly or are on private property or have permission from a business to carry..

Edited to clarify. Further clarification below.

Last edited:

mjones

Encased and unloaded in ca unless you have a sheriff/ court issued permission slip. Used to be just unloaded but now only permission slip carry is allowed. And then it's conceal only.

Not even close to correct - please provide citations.

I'd fix it all for you, but I'm short on time at the moment....

Sorcice

Not even close to correct - please provide citations.

I'd fix it all for you, but I'm short on time at the moment....

I realize I was a bit vague but seriously. It's damn near impossible to unloaded OC when section 5 of the FAQ found here: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/53-davis-cgf-ab-144-analysis-a-faqs.html
States in a tidy list all the places you cannot go. For quick reference I've listed them below:

"5. Where do the general restrictions against carrying unloaded and exposed handguns apply?
The general restriction only applies to a specific set of eight (8) locations.

Specific public places
1. A public place in an incorporated city;
2. A public place in an incorporated city and county;
3. A public place in a prohibited area of a county;
4. A public place in a prohibited area of a city and county;

Specific public streets
5. A public street in an incorporated city;
6. A public street in a city and county;
7. A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county;
8. A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a city and county;
"
If you take that list into account(specifically #6) that leaves private property and places of business you have prior written permission from unless you qualify for one of the 116 exemptions located farther down the linked PDF. 2 of which I mentioned in the original post having to do with being licensed to carry concealed thus exempt(#38/39).

@mjones - Provided this "cite" is not good enough please provide further information.

mjones

@mjones - Provided this "cite" is not good enough please provide further information.

Thanks for the update! Yes, UOC and LOC are much more difficult then before, but not impossible. The exemption list is quite extensive.

Sorcice

Ya but primarily for Leo's and security I noticed. Not a whole lot available for unsworn citizens. Sigh. Glad I don't live there anymore. WI is so much easier to carry.

rushcreek2

While conceeding that I'm a bit of a maverick - I personally got a kick out of the OP's narrative.

Goes to show you how stupid the "laws" ( that conflict with the 2A) have become.

Just a matter of time before this issue gets resolved in the courts.

Meantime, move as far away from Kalifornia as possible.

Problem is - the sheep keep moving OUT of CA , and want to import their idiocy into the FREE STATES.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I made my way to the counter and the clerk said the coffee was free officer. I was like what? Then it hit me. I AM OC'ing LOADED IN COMMIE LAND!!

Quoted for relevance.

As I have repeatedly asserted, most people (even in California) generally assume, that if you open carry and conduct yourself with courtesy and respect for others, that you are a 'good guy'. And free coffee is a bonus.

Quickdraw559

LOC in California

Thanks for the update! Yes, UOC and LOC are much more difficult then before, but not impossible. The exemption list is quite extensive.

I've been doing some reading, but in the California Handgun Saftey Certificate Handbook, it states, "Where the population of the county is less than 200,000 persons, the licensing authority may issue a license to carry a pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, loaded and exposed. (Pen. Code, § 26150.)"

I was wondering if this permit was valid in other counties? If you get a concealed carry permit, it is valid in other counties, unless otherwise written, correct? Does it apply for LOC permits, also?

Thanks,

Quickdraw559

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I've been doing some reading, but in the California Handgun Saftey Certificate Handbook, it states, "Where the population of the county is less than 200,000 persons, the licensing authority may issue a license to carry a pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, loaded and exposed. (Pen. Code, § 26150.)"

I was wondering if this permit was valid in other counties? If you get a concealed carry permit, it is valid in other counties, unless otherwise written, correct? Does it apply for LOC permits, also?

Thanks,

Quickdraw559

The carry license in the loaded and exposed format is only valid in the county of issuance.

self preservation

I realize I was a bit vague but seriously. It's damn near impossible to unloaded OC when section 5 of the FAQ found here: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/downloads/file/53-davis-cgf-ab-144-analysis-a-faqs.html
States in a tidy list all the places you cannot go. For quick reference I've listed them below:

"5. Where do the general restrictions against carrying unloaded and exposed handguns apply?
The general restriction only applies to a specific set of eight (8) locations.

Specific public places
1. A public place in an incorporated city;
2. A public place in an incorporated city and county;
3. A public place in a prohibited area of a county;
4. A public place in a prohibited area of a city and county;

Specific public streets
5. A public street in an incorporated city;
6. A public street in a city and county;
7. A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county;
8. A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a city and county;
"
If you take that list into account(specifically #6) that leaves private property and places of business you have prior written permission from unless you qualify for one of the 116 exemptions located farther down the linked PDF. 2 of which I mentioned in the original post having to do with being licensed to carry concealed thus exempt(#38/39).

Thank God I live in Kentucky..........
:banana::monkey:banana::monkey

Justine

I am California born and raised. I moved to VA 12 years ago with the military. I decided to stay in VA due to the freedom and rights that I have in VA that I never had in CA. I miss my home state, and I pray that 2A rights are restored someday so I can move home.

Lawful Aim

Come on back! The Dick Act was passed over 100 years ago. [video=youtube;eMlzYFx2ZtM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMlzYFx2ZtM[/video]

Mindcrime121

Hell, I LIVE here, and don't even know what I can BUY, much less what I can do with it legally anymore! Since Gov. Brown-noser got into office he's declared war on everything up to and including air rifles from what I've read! I joined this site so I can start learning the ins and outs of exercising my rights to own guns without going to jail for having a .22LR rifle in the car to go squirrel hunting!! Moved to the northern end of the state at the beginning of 2012 where there are actually some people who still hunt without being chased down the street by angry mobs of tree huggers and am looking into buying some guns for it, but the more I find out the more inclined I am to buy an AR-15 .223/ 5.56, a Glock 19, and pack a proper SHTF bag for when the people of this nation reach the point that they realize votes are no longer even counted unless you are a liberal, or an illegal alien!!