• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out

Maine CWP Training

Damaged mailbox leads to charges

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

CHESTERVILLE — Two residents face charges after a verbal dispute over damage to a mailbox escalated into a threat with a loaded pistol, police said.

Michael L. Jacques, 46, of Sand Pond Road in Chesterville was arrested on a felony charge of criminal threatening with a firearm on Saturday, Franklin County Sheriff Lt. Niles Yeaton said Monday.

Michael Maillett, 21, also of Sand Pond Road in Chesterville, was issued a summons on misdemeanor charges of criminal mischief and violation of condition of release in connection to another case.

There are mailboxes in a group and Jacques' saw that his was dented in the front, Yeaton said. He thought he knew who did it and confronted the man.

Maillett is accused of damaging the mailbox, he said.

Jacques and Maillett were in a verbal discussion that escalated to the point they were going to fight, he said. Maillett picked up an aluminum pipe about 5 feet long, Yeaton said, according to Cpl. Ken Charles' report. Jacques went to his truck got a pistol and loaded it, Yeaton said.

Witnesses said Jacques was armed and threatened to kill Maillett, Yeaton said.

Witnesses said Maillett got rid of the pipe and went back to his house.

Jacques posted $3,000 cash bail Saturday to get out of Franklin County jail in Farmington. He is scheduled to appear on July 25 in Franklin County Superior Court.

Maillett is scheduled to appear June 28 at Farmington District Court.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Think that Mr. Jacques is likely going to have difficulties. He apparently safely withdrew from the situation/threat and returned armed - he became part of the problem.

All he needed to do was call 911 and follow through with reporting the incident, being a good witness. We shall see.

Maine CWP Training

We know that section 105 of the criminal code permits "a reasonable degree of nondeadly force upon another person when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes it necessary to prevent . . . criminal mischief. There is (nor could there be logically) a duty of retreat for THAT. We also know from State v. Lord that "threatened use of deadly force is the equivalent of non-deadly force". Absent some screwy provocation facts, this should be an easy one. No charges for Jacques -- if the investigation sustains the newspaper version of events.

Ballistic Otters

I think we need to understand the logistics of the situation before passing judgment. We can't know whether or not he's guilty yet, but perhaps Yeaton followed him, or he could not have safely driven away. Maybe he was just shaken up from the confrontation and decided that leaving his house (and family?) at the mercy of this guy while he left and phoned 911 was a bad idea. We really need to know the layout of the area and the movements of the two individuals before we can pass judgment.

ManInBlack

All he needed to do was call 911 and follow through with reporting the incident, being a good sheep. We shall see.

Fixed it for you. ;)

I know it's the law and all, but I really don't have a problem with citizens handling things in their own neighborhoods without involving armed strangers who happen to work for the State.

Maillett picked up a deadly weapon with intent to cause harm. Jacques retrieved a deadly weapon of his own, and deterred violence. Both of them ended the encounter without injury.

From a natural law perspective, I don't see that Jacques did anything wrong whatsoever. If I were on a jury, and knew only the facts I know now, I would vote to acquit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

All he needed to do was call 911 and follow through with reporting the incident, being a good witness. We shall see.

Fixed it for you. ;)

I know it's the law and all, but I really don't have a problem with citizens handling things in their own neighborhoods without involving armed strangers who happen to work for the State.

Maillett picked up a deadly weapon with intent to cause harm. Jacques retrieved a deadly weapon of his own, and deterred violence. Both of them ended the encounter without injury.

From a natural law perspective, I don't see that Jacques did anything wrong whatsoever. If I were on a jury, and knew only the facts I know now, I would vote to acquit.

Changed it right back too.

Might surprise you, but I don't find that funny. I really meant what I said - it was serious thing. I admit I do not know your state laws as well as I might Virginia's - I do know that withdrawing from the situation and getting a gun and coming back will make you at least part of the problem. If someone dies, you may well be charged with at least manslaughter and be convicted.

It could not be called self-defense IMO, because when he left/withdrew there was nothing from which to defend. He returned armed (mucho macho) and he became the aggressor. I'm sure you heard that "two wrongs don't make a right" - apply as needed.

We are not vigilantes, we do not take the law into our own hands. OCDO even has a rule that relates to this:

• (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Maine CWP Training

Jacques went to his truck got a pistol and loaded it, Yeaton said.

Witnesses said Jacques was armed and threatened to kill Maillett, Yeaton said.

Witnesses said Maillett got rid of the pipe and went back to his house.
Nowhere in the article does it state Jacques returned to the threat. It simply states he retrieved his unloaded firearm from his vehicle and loaded it and employed non-deadly force; justifiable under Maine law as the article describes the circumstances.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nowhere in the article does it state Jacques returned to the threat. It simply states he retrieved his unloaded firearm from his vehicle and loaded it and employed non-deadly force; justifiable under Maine law as the article describes the circumstances.

Hmmm - you may well be right - I seem to have exceeded the facts.

Would be nice to check further, but the is no cite/link.

ManInBlack

We are not vigilantes, we do not take the law into our own hands. OCDO even has a rule that relates to this:

• (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Turn down the crank-o-meter.