• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming into L-Ville on Sat.

hogeaterf6

Anything special I need to know on carring into L-ville from Ind? I'll be on my MC and going to a liquor store and then a 'adult' estishment. Coming from NE IND to get some MM. Turn around and go home.

DrakeZ07

Anything special I need to know on carring into L-ville from Ind? I'll be on my MC and going to a liquor store and then a 'adult' estishment. Coming from NE IND to get some MM. Turn around and go home.

Citing this post about our laws here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99708-Kentucky-Gun-Laws

You may open carry, albeit unloaded, in a place that sells alcohol by the drink, and makes more than 50% of its income from said alcohol. I'm not sure about a liqour store, but I've had no problems OC'ing unloaded in the local liqour stores so far. But keep in mind the unloaded part about "adult" places, as they usually sell alcohol by the drink.

Refer to the post I linked for any other questions, and I'm sure others will be along to point you in a more informed direction~ <3

09jisaac

Citing this post about our laws here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99708-Kentucky-Gun-Laws

You may open carry, albeit unloaded, in a place that sells alcohol by the drink, and makes more than 50% of its income from said alcohol. I'm not sure about a liqour store, but I've had no problems OC'ing unloaded in the local liqour stores so far. But keep in mind the unloaded part about "adult" places, as they usually sell alcohol by the drink.

Refer to the post I linked for any other questions, and I'm sure others will be along to point you in a more informed direction~ <3

Correction: If the place sales ANY alcohol by the drink to be consumed on the premise and does not make more than 50% of FOOD with a SEATING CAPACITY of at least 50 people then you can only carry unloaded OC. If it makes most of its money on anything else (dancers, bowling, etc) then you have to do unloaded OC. Restaurants are the only exception.

But I feel that this will matter very little, most bars/strip clubs have a 'no weapons' policy. If they only have a sign but do not verbally tell you you cannot carry then you are not legally trespassing, but as soon as it is relayed to you verbally, if you do not leave, then you are trespassing.

DrakeZ07

Correction: If the place sales ANY alcohol by the drink to be consumed on the premise and does not make more than 50% of FOOD with a SEATING CAPACITY of at least 50 people then you can only carry unloaded OC. If it makes most of its money on anything else (dancers, bowling, etc) then you have to do unloaded OC. Restaurants are the only exception.

But I feel that this will matter very little, most bars/strip clubs have a 'no weapons' policy. If they only have a sign but do not verbally tell you you cannot carry then you are not legally trespassing, but as soon as it is relayed to you verbally, if you do not leave, then you are trespassing.

You just said a more specific version of what -I- said, in a manner of summing things up, albeit, if not more confusing than what I typed, as I had to read yours a couple times to understand it. I linked the OP the exact thread, where he could read the specifics anyway :p

DrakeZ07

You can OC loaded in a liquore store. They do not sell alcohol by the drink for on premesis consumption.

I wasn't really sure on the OC'ing in a liqour store, because of the clear cut guidelines in the KRS make no mention to liquor stores that I could specifically read, and as I've had no problems locally speaking OC'ing unloaded within them, was speaking solely on personal experience.

But, I appreciate you clearing that up for me, personally, and to the OP <3

Last edited:

09jisaac

I know know why this particular law is so confusing to most.

It does not matter AT ALL how much money they make on the sale of alcohol. If they sell a single drink a day to be consumed on the premises then you are limited to unloaded OC. It does not matter if they make 75%, 50%, or 1%. You said that they have to make at least 50% of their money on alcohol. This 'adult' establishment probably does not, but it would still be illegal to CC or loaded carry at all. Unless there is a separate bar then it is illegal to CC or have a loaded firearm there.

An exception to this law is "restaurants", a restaurant in this ordinance is any place that has a seating capacity of no less than 50 and makes more than 50% of its money on food. Most people say at least 51%, there is an infinite amount of numbers in between 50 and 51. "At least fifty percent" is not the same as "at least fifty-one percent". This gripe isn't particularly at you.