• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun carriers from other states welcome in Okla

Gary Slider

I just read this article today and I haven't heard anything about it. It states carries from states that don't issue permits can carry in OK. Can anyone give me a bill #? Thank You

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Gun-toting residents of other states will be allowed to carry concealed weapons in Oklahoma under a bill signed into law by Gov. Mary Fallin.

Fallin on Monday signed the bill, which allows gun owners from states that don't require a permit to carry a concealed weapon in Oklahoma. Under the bill, the firearm must remain concealed and the person must have a valid identification to prove that he or she is a legal resident of a non-permitting state.

Under Oklahoma law, a resident wishing to carry a concealed weapon must be at least 21 years old, take a firearms training course, pay a fee and apply for a permit.

The bill was 1 of 8 bills Fallin signed into law on Monday

hrdware

Awesome! Now push for Constitutional Carry there! :)

That's the plan for next legislative session. Since we will recognize the constitutional rights of residents from 4 states, we should recognize those same rights for people in our own state.

zekester

Have the changed the "notification" aspect, from contact to first available opportunity?

Not looking to have another flat in your fine state if not!!

Nascar24Glock

I tried reading the bill; but the wording looked a little bit confusing. It was obvious that this provision would apply to residents of Vermont. However, the bill clearly said "residents of non-permitting states" and "authorized" by that state's authority to carry a concealed weapon. Hence, I have two questions: (1) would this apply to residents of Arizona, Alaska, and Wyoming (which allow permitless carry but still offer a permit, thereby possibly failing to meet the requirement that it be a "non-permitting state") and (2) would this apply to Illinios (which, while not offering permits, does not authorize carrying either and thereby could be failing to meet the requirement that its residents be "authorized" to carrry by that state)?

From the way it is written, this provision could apply to all five states, four states, two states, or only one state (Vermont). It looks open to interpretation, in my opinion. Does anyone want to weigh in on this one?

hrdware

I tried reading the bill; but the wording looked a little bit confusing. It was obvious that this provision would apply to residents of Vermont. However, the bill clearly said "residents of non-permitting states" and "authorized" by that state's authority to carry a concealed weapon. Hence, I have two questions: (1) would this apply to residents of Arizona, Alaska, and Wyoming (which allow permitless carry but still offer a permit, thereby possibly failing to meet the requirement that it be a "non-permitting state") and (2) would this apply to Illinios (which, while not offering permits, does not authorize carrying either and thereby could be failing to meet the requirement that its residents be "authorized" to carrry by that state)?

From the way it is written, this provision could apply to all five states, four states, two states, or only one state (Vermont). It looks open to interpretation, in my opinion. Does anyone want to weigh in on this one?

This affects Vermont, Arizona, Alaska and Wyoming only. The 3 states you mention that do have permits, the permits are not required.

It does not allow Illinois residents to carry because Illinois does not authorize anyone to carry a firearm.

Nascar24Glock

This affects Vermont, Arizona, Alaska and Wyoming only. The 3 states you mention that do have permits, the permits are not required.

It does not allow Illinois residents to carry because Illinois does not authorize anyone to carry a firearm.

Thanks.

Also, here's another interesting question. Normally, Oklahoma requires persons who want a carry permit to be 21 years old. However, Vermont allows people to carry at 16 (or 18 if you include Federal law and the person does not meet one of the exemptions in Federal law). So, does this allow 16 (18?) year-olds from Vermont to carry in Oklahoma?

hrdware

Thanks.

Also, here's another interesting question. Normally, Oklahoma requires persons who want a carry permit to be 21 years old. However, Vermont allows people to carry at 16 (or 18 if you include Federal law and the person does not meet one of the exemptions in Federal law). So, does this allow 16 (18?) year-olds from Vermont to carry in Oklahoma?

I asked OSBI about this once for someone else. The reply was that as long as you meet the requirements in your state to carry, OK would honor your right to carry as long as you followed OK laws while you were here.

hermannr

I asked OSBI about this once for someone else. The reply was that as long as you meet the requirements in your state to carry, OK would honor your right to carry as long as you followed OK laws while you were here.

So, this begs an interesting question...hypothetical for me as I already can carry in OK. WA, ID, OR, MT and a whole bunch of other states do not require a license to OC....Now, IF your Gov signs the OC bill???? would this make it legal to OC in your state without a license, if we were only OC'ing (which is what I normally do...I do have a CPL so this really does not fit me...just a question to consider)

Second hypothetical question: Will OC = notification, or is OK going to just get rid of that stupid requirement.

hrdware

So, this begs an interesting question...hypothetical for me as I already can carry in OK. WA, ID, OR, MT and a whole bunch of other states do not require a license to OC....Now, IF your Gov signs the OC bill???? would this make it legal to OC in your state without a license, if we were only OC'ing (which is what I normally do...I do have a CPL so this really does not fit me...just a question to consider)

Second hypothetical question: Will OC = notification, or is OK going to just get rid of that stupid requirement.

I have not merged the reciprocity bill with the OC bill so at this time I can not provide an answer to that. I will try to do that in the near future as I have wondered about that myself.

Some legislatures tried to remove the notification clause this session, but others threw out the old "officer safety" issue so it did not get removed, but got changed from "first contact" to "first opportunity". I will feel really silly when Officer Fife asks to see my permit and I say, "Sure, but before I do, according to state law, I must inform you I am openly carrying a firearm."

MOTOCITYMX

OK lets say I live in Oklahoma and I apply and resieve a conseal carry permit from the State of Arizon. I should be legal to conseal and carry in Oklahoma. Now if SB1733 becomes law Will i be able to Open carry with my Arizon conseal carry permit?

hrdware

OK lets say I live in Oklahoma and I apply and resieve a conseal carry permit from the State of Arizon. I should be legal to conseal and carry in Oklahoma. Now if SB1733 becomes law Will i be able to Open carry with my Arizon conseal carry permit?

Yes, the reciprocity portion of the bill will change the law to indicate we will honor your concealed or unconcealed handgun permit.