Thread: Federal appeals court blocks Illinois law against recording police doing their jobs.

Herr Heckler Koch

Federal appeals court blocks Illinois law against recording police doing their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vielmetti, MJS
    On First Amendment grounds, a federal appeals court on Tuesday blocked enforcement of an Illinois law that makes it a felony to take video - with sound -- of police officers on the job.

The U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals sided with the American Civil Liberties Union in challenging the Illinois eavesdropping law.

Judge Diane Sykes wrote for the 2-1 majority. Judge Richard Posner dissented, suggesting the hot-button issue could get a rehearing by the full court, or ultimately make its way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Professor Volokh
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 05-08-2012 at 04:45 PM.

White Oak Plantation
    Good news so far, but that ain't gunna get me to go into Illinoisistan.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Iowa, USA
    So, with that block in place, we cam record officers without fear of mean arrest?
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

In Illinois near St. Louis, MO
    HHK - thanks for the good news!