Thread: Use of deadly force...

Use of deadly force...

I was reading other forums about defensive carry and got curious as to what CT Law states, I also stumbled upon a case in Ontario Canada about a man defending his home and ended up being charged with unsafe storage of a firearm or something like that. Anyway;

If I am reading correctly and what my instructor told me is true, in CT we can use deadly force if deemed necessary, meaning if we truly believe the other person is going to do a great deal of harm to us or possibly kill us, but only if we can not retreat. But during my pistol class I was told that if we are in our home and someone breaks in and we can retreat, then we should and if we had shot someone and killed them we could be charged. If you can not retreat than deadly force would be ok if necessary. What is interesting is that in the CT statutes I read on it states:

"a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person if he or she knows that he or she can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety (1) by retreating, except that the actor shall not be required to retreat if he or she is in his or her dwelling, as defined in section 53a-100 or place of work and was not the initial aggressor"

It also states that if you are assisting a police officer, etc etc... So essentially you are supposed to retreat unless you are in your own home or place of business/work. Further the very next Statute is as follows:

"Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 53a-20.

Use of physical force in defense of premises. A person in possession or control of premises, or a person who is licensed or privileged to be in or upon such premises, is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by such other person in or upon such premises; but he may use deadly physical force under such circumstances only (1) in defense of a person as prescribed in section 53a-19, or (2) when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent an attempt by the trespasser to commit arson or any crime of violence, or (3) to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate an unlawful entry by force into his dwelling as defined in section 53a-100, or place of work, and for the sole purpose of such prevention or termination."

In the case in Ontario, three guys actually threw molotov cocktails at his home, so if it were in CT he technically could have shot them, even though he only fired warning shots.

What are your thoughts?

My initial action assuming all things reasonable, would be to shoot someone in the leg or something if I thought that would actually stop them, then again who knows what I would do in a real situation.

Whats there to think about? You have clearly cited and stated the laws that are in place.

North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    None of the advice you are seeking should or can be found on the internet.

This falls under the heading of "I got my permit, now what?" and our official stance is "Get Trained".

Seriously, there are some great instructors out there that you can trust that will teach you what you need to know about self defense, the laws of such in CT and how to implement the plan you decide on.

The first that I could recommend that comes to mind is:

I would be happy to put you in contact with the instructor. The class is very affordable and I guarantee you get your questions answered.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues:

earth's crust
    What if you are arresting the individual under a citizens arrest? Under a citizens arrest you can use reasonable force, you need not run away, and the force can be deadly if needed. can see how these "you must retreat" ideas tend to confuse people with other common law and case law.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 05-08-2012 at 08:22 PM.