• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - The West Havenpolice department has been refusing permits against

Rich B

West Haven, Connecticut, May 8, 2012:

Connecticut Carry has received numerous complaints that the West Haven Police Department continues to demand additional and invasive requirements before they allow their citizens to apply for a permit to carry pistols and revolvers. Further, the West Haven Police Department refuses those applications if a citizen rightfully refuses the demand.

The lack of legal authority for a local police department in the State of Connecticut to invent their own requirements and supplemental forms in the application process has been established in legal opinions dating back to at least 1968 in a published opinion by then Attorney General Robert Killian.

In January, 2010, the Connecticut Board of Firearm Permit Examiners upheld this same legal opinion, extending and clarifying it, publishing it and sending it to all of the municipal police departments in the state, including the West Haven Police Department.

In April, 2012, the Connecticut Board of Firearm Permit Examiners once again upheld this same legal opinion in person in front of Connecticut Carry and the Waterbury Police Department during their monthly meeting.

The West Haven Police Department continues to ignore the Attorney General’s office, the BFPE, the legislature and therefore the people of Connecticut by refusing to issue permits to people who refuse to submit to the burdens that the West Haven Police Department has placed on the permit process while lacking any legal authority to do so.

Connecticut Carry calls on the leadership of the West Haven Police Department to correct these behaviors and to stop infringing on the rights of the citizens of West Haven to bear arms.

Connecticut Carry also calls on Mayor John M. Picard of West Haven to mandate that the West Haven Police department follow the Connecticut General Statutes. Connecticut Carry has also notified the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and Attorney General George Jepsen in their official capacities on this issue.

More information on this issue can be found on: http://ctcarry.com/Campaign/PermitRequirements

Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Richard Burgess
President
Connecticut Carry, Inc
Ph: 203-208-9577
Email: rich@connecticutcarry.com
http://ctcarry.com

IH8SPM

A few days ago they issued permits to their backlog and now this. I provided the extra info because I knew nothing of the laws.

Rich
Did you copy Stephen Dargan?

IH8SPM

I am not clear what a State Representative would have to do with this. Could you explain?

He is 2A supporter and can make a few calls. When I last spoke to him my permit was issued that Monday. This was back in April. I had updated all the west haven posts with all my info and story.

davidmcbeth

Banned
He is 2A supporter and can make a few calls. When I last spoke to him my permit was issued that Monday. This was back in April. I had updated all the west haven posts with all my info and story.

Well its the legislature that made this mess .. with DESPP and the firearms examination board and the FIC. The legislature created them.

And because they don't issue sanctions that they have the power to do under almost every case before them, then the towns don't follow the law at all.

Even my demoratic rep sees major problems with these admin. agencies ... the only solution is to eliminate them all together. Have the towns administer it themselves, give them 30 days to review the admin appeal cases or it goes in favor of the citizen...and then allow 1-3 times the costs recoverable in Superior court.

Its only when towns feel the $$$ going out the door and have cases lost in court will they care.

The courts are the only solution .. the problem is now is that you die before you can get a fair shake in front of a judge, a real judge.

This is the only solution to these issues...educating towns etc is a waste IMO -- they know the law, they just choose to ignore it.

Last edited: