• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First official OC experience with an excellent advisor

wmodavis

Today, after having approached a man on the street (so to speak) for help, I went on an OC excursion - my first. I am awaiting my CCW class and wanted to get going with carrying before all that transpires.
For a novice, which I consider myself to be, I chose to ask for expert advice from one who seemed likeminded, willing and available. We met this morning at the Crispy Cream and headed out after introductions.
We were both CCing and visited a Safeway, Starbucks, Credit Union, McDonalds (a trip highlight) and a gun shop. Some other stops and general milling about in public also ensued.
I was mainly observing, learning, asking questions and taking advice so I consider it a very good experience and will continue doing OC and perhaps CC. I don't think I was really nervous but was stepping a bit into the unknown for me.

Observations:
1. Occasionally someone seemed to notice, as indicated by their glances, that we were armed but no one appeared alarmed. Most did not notice or seemed unconcerned.
2. Friendliness and just being natural seemed to add to the relaxed acceptance of what was a bit un-natural to me. I think it will become more natural for me as time goes on.
3. I seemed to almost forget that I was carrying even though our conversation certainly focused on it.

The trip highlight:
After coming out of the McDonalds the two of us were standing behind the car chatting and getting ready to head over to the gun shop when a LEO vehicle pulled up behind my friend (the experienced one on this adventure) and I mentioned to him that looks like we had some company. Now I had read in this and other forums about LEO encounters so had the expected trepidation with the hope I'd not have to cope with it for a long time. Seems that someone in the McD place had put in a MWAG call and so I was in for an unexpected first time experience actually for both of us. My tutor led the way and as I said it was rather normal, pleasant encounter with no seeming reason to feel it is a big deal.

Thank You M-Taliesin. I feel much better prepared for all I learned today. Not a bad way to start IMHO.

Bill

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Bill!
It was my pleasure to enjoy your company as I ran some errands I needed to do today. Having you tag along, I hoped, would make it easier for you to OC on your own after all the running about we did today.

The only point I'd like to correct is an inadvertant error in your description below:

We were both CCing and visited a Safeway, Starbucks, Credit Union, McDonalds (a trip highlight) and a gun shop. Some other stops and general milling about in public also ensued.
Bill

We were both OC'ing. Not CCing. I understand what you were meaning, but just thought I'd clarify that little bit for anybody who happens along to read your post.

The guys at the gun shop in Parker were terrific, and their attitude about us visiting their shop OC'ing was wonderful. I love their attitude, and hope folks in Parker will support their local gun shop. Any gun shop that supports open carry is alright in my book!

I hoped to give you a good overview of OC today. From Starbucks to Safeway, from Bellco to McD's, and even a MWAG call, I guess you got a real good intro to OC. Personally, I must admit to being surprised the cops got a call from anybody in Parker, because Douglas County is known for being a real good 2a county. Parker, well, I guess they still need a little work. Maybe I'll concentrate some of my OC activity in their area so those folks who called about men with guns will learn that it is perfectly legal. That being said, the officers who came out were terrific. I loved how the young fellow approached us. "Well, you probably know why we're here!"
And my reply was dead on the money. "No, I actually haven't the faintest idea!" I meant that sincerely, considering we were not doing anything illegal. "Well, it's about you smoking your pipe in public!" We had a pretty good laugh over that. I think it got him laughing when I stuck that lit pipe in the pocket of my jeans. "I did not know that. Sorry about that!" Hard to say while still laughing. "Well, have a great day then!" And they were ready to leave us be. But we kept up a lively banter and enjoyed talking with them as I'm sure they enjoyed talking with us.

Anyhow, they were terrific and didn't infringe on our rights as we continued our expedition today.

I especially enjoyed stopping at the head of that dirt road at an abandoned farm to pop a few shots from my XDm. Those are two beer bottles that will never bother us any more!

In all sincerity, I enjoyed your company and hope we can spend another day running around and enjoying the sights of this wonderful state, and our right to carry openly as we did today.

I need to run up to Estes Park tomorrow, and I also need to get that coil shipped off for repair. That competition will be here before I know it, so I really want that coil back so I can do my best at coin shooting!

Thanks for tagging along pard!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

wmodavis

Howdy Bill!
The only point I'd like to correct is an inadvertant error in your description below:

We were both OC'ing. Not CCing. I understand what you were meaning, but just thought I'd clarify that little bit for anybody who happens along to read your post.

I told you I was retarded didn't I?

Yaki

Howdy Bill!
It was my pleasure to enjoy your company as I ran some errands I needed to do today. Having you tag along, I hoped, would make it easier for you to OC on your own after all the running about we did today.

The guys at the gun shop in Parker were terrific, and their attitude about us visiting their shop OC'ing was wonderful. I love their attitude, and hope folks in Parker will support their local gun shop. Any gun shop that supports open carry is alright in my book!

I hoped to give you a good overview of OC today. From Starbucks to Safeway, from Bellco to McD's, and even a MWAG call, I guess you got a real good intro to OC. Personally, I must admit to being surprised the cops got a call from anybody in Parker, because Douglas County is known for being a real good 2a county. Parker, well, I guess they still need a little work. Maybe I'll concentrate some of my OC activity in their area so those folks who called about men with guns will learn that it is perfectly legal. That being said, the officers who came out were terrific. I loved how the young fellow approached us. "Well, you probably know why we're here!"
And my reply was dead on the money. "No, I actually haven't the faintest idea!" I meant that sincerely, considering we were not doing anything illegal. "Well, it's about you smoking your pipe in public!" We had a pretty good laugh over that. I think it got him laughing when I stuck that lit pipe in the pocket of my jeans. "I did not know that. Sorry about that!" Hard to say while still laughing. "Well, have a great day then!" And they were ready to leave us be. But we kept up a lively banter and enjoyed talking with them as I'm sure they enjoyed talking with us.

Anyhow, they were terrific and didn't infringe on our rights as we continued our expedition today.

I especially enjoyed stopping at the head of that dirt road at an abandoned farm to pop a few shots from my XDm. Those are two beer bottles that will never bother us any more!

In all sincerity, I enjoyed your company and hope we can spend another day running around and enjoying the sights of this wonderful state, and our right to carry openly as we did today.

I need to run up to Estes Park tomorrow, and I also need to get that coil shipped off for repair. That competition will be here before I know it, so I really want that coil back so I can do my best at coin shooting!

Thanks for tagging along pard!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Great story. I'm sitting here in Cali daydreaming about a day like that. Man it must be nice to be free lol..
Ok sons school called back to reality..
Enjoy guys and be safe..

M-Taliesin

Great story. I'm sitting here in Cali daydreaming about a day like that. Man it must be nice to be free lol..
Enjoy guys and be safe..

Howdy Yaki!
Well, while you're busy daydreaming, why not come out to Colorado and live a little.
Colorado is a heckuva place to vacation, and we could show you around some real interesting locations, and you can exercise your right to bear arms the whole time. Unless, of course, stops in Denver happen to be on your agenda. Good place to visit should you get homesick, because they prohibit open carry there pretty firmly.

I know ya'll can open carry in some places, but without a round in the chamber.
My fellow OC'er asked about that while we were out together yesterday. "Do you carry a round in the chamber?"
I showed him the indicator on my XDm .40 to assure him I always do.
Proved it later when we stopped to fire off a couple of rounds.

I had to take the dog to the vet over in Denver today. While I did make a cursory effort to drape my tee-shirt over my sidearm,
I don't think it could really have been fairly described as CC'ing. Every time I bent down to give attention to the dog, the tee shirt rode up above the pistol and stayed there after I straightened up again. I didn't fret it much, but this particular paragraph might read differently if a friendly neighborhood Denver police officer of the law happened along.

So if ya'll ever head out this-a-way, look us up and we'll take you out for an adventure or two.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Motofixxer

Welcome aboard wmodavis, good to hear you got to hang out with an experienced carrier to gain some knowledge and confidence. I'd encourage you to read and study because Knowledge really is power. If you would like some more direction I have compiled a bunch of New to OC info Here or Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI Some is state specific but much of it is general.

Thanks for the clarification M-Taliesin, I was sitting here reading it getting confused.

Hey Yaki, you can move...you wouldn't be the first one. :lol:

M-Taliesin

I have compiled a bunch of New to OC info
Some is state specific but much of it is general.

Howdy Pard!
That's a really handy thing to have with terrific information.
Somewhere in the fog of my memory banks I seem to recall that somebody did something like that specific to Colorado.
I guess I should go out and try to find that. If there is one, then it would be really helpful to newcomers to OC here in our state.
If there ain't one, perhaps we might invent one based on the model you've suggested.

Sure would make it handier if we had a one page document of flyer with all the specific stuff relative to Colorado.

Thanks for that post! Very good info.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

I loved how the young fellow approached us. "Well, you probably know why we're here!"
And my reply was dead on the money. "No, I actually haven't the faintest idea!" I meant that sincerely, considering we were not doing anything illegal. "Well, it's about you smoking your pipe in public!" We had a pretty good laugh over that. I think it got him laughing when I stuck that lit pipe in the pocket of my jeans. "I did not know that. Sorry about that!" Hard to say while still laughing. "

More details on this, please? I.e. was he serious about the pipe? Were you too close to the restaurant (I think it's 20 ft). I'm sure he was jovial in general, but was he serious that you technically should put your pipe where the sun don't shine?

jhco50

I was with a friend yesterday who has been wanting to show me his sidearm to ask questions about it, It was a beautiful little Colt Police Positive in .38 spl BTW. We were also going to Avondale and Pueblo and as I carry all of the time he ask me if it was ok to do so and I said yes. He strapped it on, this 70 year old 1/2 Indian/1/2 German retired high school teacher. I could tell it made him feel free and good. When we got back he kept it on for his trip home. I had to chuckle at him. He is a really good guy and I enjoyed being with him on his first outing.

wmodavis

Moto - I am reading about everything I can. Don't want to just carry but kind of like to know what I'm doing. Think I'm making forward progress. Taking a CC class June 2. Got my upgrade today - G23 Gen4. Hope to get out to a range in next few days. Also got the word this evening that my new IWB & OWB holsters have been shipped.

I think my experience with M exceeded anything I've read so far. What a good way to start. So I'll be COCing (Cautiously Open Carrying) as I practice what I've experienced and read.

Thanks all for the encouragement.

Bill

since9

Campaign Veteran
Enjoy guys and be safe..

I hear you... If Ca were more like Colorado, politically speaking, I'd prefer to live there, as I've a son who lives in Ca.

"All" it takes to change it is to vote out the idiots. Probably is, you'd first have to eliminate some of the idiots in the general electorate who voted the idiots into office in the first place.

M-Taliesin

Probably is, you'd first have to eliminate some of the idiots in the general electorate who voted the idiots into office in the first place.

Howdy Pardner!
Problem with that thinking is....
Just as soon as you make something idiot proof, along comes a better class of idiots!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Probably is, you'd first have to eliminate some of the idiots in the general electorate who voted the idiots into office in the first place.

Best argument against democracy: Five minutes with the average voter.

rushcreek2

43 percent of registered voters - as of yesterday - still say they support an unapologetic Marxist "occupier" of the White House who growing evidence suggest isn't even a U.S. citizen.

I volunteered 8 years of my life to the national effort of defending this country against off-shore Marxists. I resolve to never purchase, or rent a movie that is either produced by , or casts George Clooney, or any of his invited useful Hollywood idiots.

Back to the topic . I must return to Colorado Springs next Saturday in OC condition ONLY since my CHP expired on April 30th. I'll renew on 5/23/2012, but must wait for renewed CHP to arrive in the mail in order to CC again in Colorado. It will be a new experience for me - not having the CC option readily at hand for a time.

Last edited:

wmodavis

Well yesterday I got into the range with my new G23. Went through a couple of boxes to see how it felt. Also fired my .380 for comparison. If the attachment works you'll see the first couple of mags at 10ft.
I think it's going to work out fine.

1stShoot.jpg

Last edited: