• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Small OC report - Irvine, Ky

DrakeZ07

Well, I've been in Irvine for the better part of the day this afternoon, and evening. And as with going to new places, or atleast, new for me as I've never been in Irvine, I was OC'ing my Hi-Point .40SW.

My first stop was a lil Shell station, across the Kentucky River, in "west Irvine". I OC'd there with no problems at all, wasn't expecting anything anyway. Cashier was very nice to me, and offered me a free 2$ scratch off ticket. I thought strange, but hey, it was free right? took it, didn't win anything, but got into a nice conversation with the cashier, this and that mostly, super cute fellow, hehe, but that's for me, and my BF to mull over ^-^

Anyway, went over to the Irvine Fire Station, right next to City Hall. Because I went to Irvine to attend NWS SKYWARN spotter class and training, get information, and educated in severe weather reporting, catch up on things and learn new stuff to help me when I'm chasing in the field.

I didn't see any "NO FIREARMS/WEAPONS" signs anywhere on or near the fire station, so I went in OC'ing. Spoke with a couple Fire fighters before the class, no one said a word, or questioned me about my sidearm, no cops called, nothing. Was OC'ing during the Weather class, although I was in the very back of the class, against the right side wall, mostly because of the people who filtered in, the room got crowded, but I didn't think it concealed if I was bunched against a wall on my strong side carry.

After the class, I got very hungry, and drove around the city looking for a bite to eat. Settled on a Little Ceasers. Walked in, a worker was outside smoking, held the door open for me, and smiled, which is a first for LC establishments in general. Walked in, gave my order, and the cashier said "Oh, we're having a special tonight, sir, you get a free 2-litre of your choosing with your pizza and bread sticks". I thought 'dude, that's awesome, I wish the one in Mt. Sterling did that'. I was expecting to pay what I usually would in Mt. Sterling for the bread sticks, pizza, and sauce, usually comes out to be 14$... Cashier rung it up as 10$ even, which I paid, a lil taken aback by it. Headed for the door, one of the delivery guys held the door open for me... Another first. Got back in my car, and looked at the receipt to make sure they got everything right, and then I noticed a the subtotal being 13.27$, then a "LE Discount" and the total being 10$...

So! With me wearing my low rider jeans, and a Beige Polo shirt, with my Sidearm, somehow along the line, I got mistook-en for a cop.

Which made me wonder if the scratch off earlier at the gas station, was also the same thing, meant for Cops.

Anyway, had loads of fun, and enjoyed my OC experience. Irvine is now one of my Favorite OC destinations. Though I'm a bit uneasy going back there, the entire city smelled of mold and mildew, lol!

So, I actually feel kind of guilty, even though no one asked me if I was a cop, or called me officer, I feel like I should have looked at the receipt sooner, and went back in to inform the LC cashier that I'm not a cop, and want to pay the difference of the discount.

How do you guys feel about this? Should I take any discounts, and freebies given to me by people who THINK I'm apart of LE and dont bother to ask, or should I decline any freebies and discounts, and come clean?

~<3

keltecpf9

I can assure you, if you dress in slacks, dress shoes and a collared shirt, people will mistaken you for a police officer all day long. I know most OCers don't like being perceived as a police officer, but it sure does feel AMAZING when it happens!

Great experience! It was fun to read :)

Just don't go back into the same little Ceasers and tell them you're NOT a cop ;)

UnfetteredMight

Well, I've been in Irvine for the better part of the day this afternoon, and evening. And as with going to new places, or atleast, new for me as I've never been in Irvine, I was OC'ing my Hi-Point .40SW.

My first stop was a lil Shell station, across the Kentucky River, in "west Irvine". I OC'd there with no problems at all, wasn't expecting anything anyway. Cashier was very nice to me, and offered me a free 2$ scratch off ticket. I thought strange, but hey, it was free right? took it, didn't win anything, but got into a nice conversation with the cashier, this and that mostly, super cute fellow, hehe, but that's for me, and my BF to mull over ^-^

Anyway, went over to the Irvine Fire Station, right next to City Hall. Because I went to Irvine to attend NWS SKYWARN spotter class and training, get information, and educated in severe weather reporting, catch up on things and learn new stuff to help me when I'm chasing in the field.

I didn't see any "NO FIREARMS/WEAPONS" signs anywhere on or near the fire station, so I went in OC'ing. Spoke with a couple Fire fighters before the class, no one said a word, or questioned me about my sidearm, no cops called, nothing. Was OC'ing during the Weather class, although I was in the very back of the class, against the right side wall, mostly because of the people who filtered in, the room got crowded, but I didn't think it concealed if I was bunched against a wall on my strong side carry.

After the class, I got very hungry, and drove around the city looking for a bite to eat. Settled on a Little Ceasers. Walked in, a worker was outside smoking, held the door open for me, and smiled, which is a first for LC establishments in general. Walked in, gave my order, and the cashier said "Oh, we're having a special tonight, sir, you get a free 2-litre of your choosing with your pizza and bread sticks". I thought 'dude, that's awesome, I wish the one in Mt. Sterling did that'. I was expecting to pay what I usually would in Mt. Sterling for the bread sticks, pizza, and sauce, usually comes out to be 14$... Cashier rung it up as 10$ even, which I paid, a lil taken aback by it. Headed for the door, one of the delivery guys held the door open for me... Another first. Got back in my car, and looked at the receipt to make sure they got everything right, and then I noticed a the subtotal being 13.27$, then a "LE Discount" and the total being 10$...

So! With me wearing my low rider jeans, and a Beige Polo shirt, with my Sidearm, somehow along the line, I got mistook-en for a cop.

Which made me wonder if the scratch off earlier at the gas station, was also the same thing, meant for Cops.

Anyway, had loads of fun, and enjoyed my OC experience. Irvine is now one of my Favorite OC destinations. Though I'm a bit uneasy going back there, the entire city smelled of mold and mildew, lol!

So, I actually feel kind of guilty, even though no one asked me if I was a cop, or called me officer, I feel like I should have looked at the receipt sooner, and went back in to inform the LC cashier that I'm not a cop, and want to pay the difference of the discount.

How do you guys feel about this? Should I take any discounts, and freebies given to me by people who THINK I'm apart of LE and dont bother to ask, or should I decline any freebies and discounts, and come clean?

~<3

No you absolutely should not be accepting LE discounts. In fact, if it were me, I would reimburse both establishments the next time I were in town.

DrakeZ07

I can assure you, if you dress in slacks, dress shoes and a collared shirt, people will mistaken you for a police officer all day long. I know most OCers don't like being perceived as a police officer, but it sure does feel AMAZING when it happens!

Great experience! It was fun to read :)

Just don't go back into the same little Ceasers and tell them you're NOT a cop ;)

Thats the funny thing, I wasn't wearing anything close to such attire you describe... My low rider jeans are a faded purple, and the polo was just a casual shirt, with loose fitting collar, nothing fancy or nothing stiff about it. Heck, I was even wearing my Skeletoe's (Sooo Comfortable~ <3). I mean, at least in my opinion, I was dressed the complete opposite of what a cop would dress like, xD.

No you absolutely should not be accepting LE discounts. In fact, if it were me, I would reimburse both establishments the next time I were in town.

Well, next time I'm offered freebies, or notice a discount on any food or other purchases, I'll decline, or make it right. I do feel guilty about the LE discount, and not going back and setting things straight, which honestly, the freebie scratch-off ticket didn't really click until after I got home. But, I'm not making excuses at all, and sought everyone's opinion on these things. Thank you for your input, U.M.

Though, if I might add, doesn't it seem in the least bit odd, wrong, or corrupt, that businesses would offer scratch off's, and free things with discounts in general, to LEO's? Let alone, the fact that the people in said businesses think that someone OC'ing a handgun can only be a LEO? Like, if they would have asked, or referred to me as such, I would have declined, and sat them straight on the issue, but just giving LEO's a benefit not giving to others, seems 'enabling' of certain behaviors.

DrakeZ07

Stop being a little ***** and grow a pair of balls! You're just envious because you aren't recognized as a "police officer." Even if it's a deceptive perception.

I would ask that you not say such things within my post, and derailing it, although I got the info I was looking for, furthermore, please don't attack U.M. He's very knowledgeable and very helpful to our community, just as the others who work on laws, and reports, and educating the masses.

You are entitled to your opinion, and are welcome to it, you disagree with him on this matter, try to find a nicer way to say it, okay? Thanks hun~

Last edited:

flb_78

Stop being a little ***** and grow a pair of balls! You're just envious because you aren't recognized as a "police officer." Even if it's a deceptive perception.

Hey there newbie. Shut up until you learn to act like an adult. We don't treat each other like that in the Kentucky forum.

If you disagree with someone, do it in a polite professional manner, just as if you were sitting across the table from him in a public restaurant and carrying a gun.

hotrod

I don't know that I would return a discount because someone mistook me for LEO, Firefighter, etc. Not something I would have done with intent, but my question is why do the police etc. deserve any discount at all? They get paid just like you and I, and I would bet they don't work any harder!

flb_78

I don't know that I would return a discount because someone mistook me for LEO, Firefighter, etc. Not something I would have done with intent, but my question is why do the police etc. deserve any discount at all? They get paid just like you and I, and I would bet they don't work any harder!

I know that many gas stations give LEO free coffee so that the officers will stop in their stores and act as a crime deterrent. The more often they can get officers to stop, the more deterrent. I have no idea about the free Lottery tickets. That seems odd to me.

hotrod

Some businesses give LEO a discount to encourage them to come by frequently. They think it discourages criminals from causing problems for their business. They probably thought that you served the same function and therefore deserved the same discount. You should not feel guilty. You performed a valuable service and erned that discount.

Amen

Curtis C

my neck of the woods, thats just something they are doing at shell, little ceasers is brand new, like not even a few weeks, we are moving up in the world lol. your not gonna get much flack at all if any in this town. guys irvine is a small town very gun friendly.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

my neck of the woods, thats just something they are doing at shell, little ceasers is brand new, like not even a few weeks, we are moving up in the world lol. your not gonna get much flack at all if any in this town. guys irvine is a small town very gun friendly.

I meant no offense you to then, regarding the smell of the town itself while visiting, as I described it in my post as smelling of mold and mildew... Must have been just on that mildly humid day, or probably something common to places along a major river. Haven't lived by any big rivers myself, so I must not be used to it.

I loved Irvine though, it reminded me of Stanton, and Mt Sterling in a way; as I was driving south on KY89, I was expecting it to be a lil hole in the wall town like Clay City, nothing much of anything to look at, but I was pretty surprised, it's peaceful, and kinda cute in a way. Must be nice being on the KY River, I've heard many great fishing stories out of that river, but haven't fished it yet... I don't do well with Rivers, as the Ohio and Licking can attest to, always get caught on rocks and limbs >.< I would love to go fishing there if you wouldn't mind showing me some spots there, ya know? I'll even treat ya to LC's, which btw, made a better pizza than Mt. Sterling, xD Though I saw a sign for a restaurant on the west side of the KY River bridge, do you know if it's any good?

@Fib, Gutshot, and Hotrod:

I understand now why they give the discount, and the scratch off, but I still kinda feel guilty about accepting both things; Do you three get them often in various ways, and accept, or decline? I would appreciate a bit more direction/guidence on what I should do if it happens again, as I really don't want to be caught, and arrested for impersonating an officer of the law if I accept such freebies. In other words, should I be okay with it, or not?

@Curtis; Oh, almost forgot to add... Congrats on the new LC, :D Maybe you guys can help us petition to put one in Owingsville, so we can move up a level too! I think the General Assembly should classify cities based on how many LC's they have. 0 LC's = City of the sixth class, 1= 5th class, etc, etc. Besides, I think we can all agree, that Little Ceasers often have better, and much cheaper, pizza's than Pizza Hut, or Domino's, a close tie with Papa Johns though >.>

Curtis C

no offense taken, i'm probably used to the smell, so i assume its the river, or all the meth labs, lol, i've never had any luck fishing the river, only time i go on it any more is for the fun of being on the water. so i stick to the farm ponds and lakes.

flb_78

You're not asking for a discount, they just give them. You're not misrepresenting yourself. As Gutshot said earlier, you're still providing a service by carrying.

DrakeZ07

If I owned a business I would post a sign that read "discount for open carry". Cops are not the only ones that can deter crime in your business..

Dude~ Open a Little Ceasers in Owingsville! the BF and I would be happy to have most of our dinners there, xD and we'd get a discount! :DD

I appreciate the input from y'all on this matter, and feel better about accepting the lil discount and the scratch off ticket~ Thanks guys.

DrakeZ07

? for Drake, I mean no offense to my question, but are you a guy or a gal, your oringinal post has me a little confused.

*checks inside his shorts* Yep, all "guy" here, xD and no offense taken, I can understand the confusion, hehe. Though it does beg the question, are they any actual females lurking around the KY OCDO portions? xDD

Last edited:

UnfetteredMight

Look, I dont care how any of you try to spin this, its dishonest and you all know it. If the clerk was aware that Drake was just an OC and still gave him the discount thats a different story. But to accept a benefit under a false pretense is not ok, obviously Drakes moral code is tugging at him or he wouldnt have posted the question.

Gutshot theres another reason they give those discounts, because LEOs are actually called into situations on a daily basis that they put their lives on the line. Can Drake say the same thing? No he cannot.

Maybe I just hold myself to a higher standard of honesty than most.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Bad behavior on both parts

Drake, my apologies for derailing your thread, but I'm not about to stand idly by and let anyone call me out. I dont do it in the real world and Im not going to do it in the digital one either.

Last edited by a moderator: