• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Small OC report - Irvine, Ky

langzaiguy

@unfettered How childish. Your antics are an embarassment to this forum. I teach at an alternative school and hear this rhetoric daily....but from a grown man?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

UnfetteredMight

@unfettered How childish. Your antics are an embarassment to this forum. I teach at an alternative school and hear this rhetoric daily....but from a grown man?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Rhetoric? Hardly what I would call it. Never have you ever in all my years here seen me retaliate against some punk with a big mouth, but never has anyone made a personal attack against me either. Where I come from, you ran your mouth like that and you paid the consequences. I was dead serious in what I wrote.

I am not normally an aggressive person, unless I'm provoked and I will draw a line. Becoming older did not make me a pacifist.

However, I will apologize to anyone that offended, EXCEPT the one it was meant for.

flb_78

internet-internet-serious-busniess-demotivational-poster-1214215139.jpg

DrakeZ07

*Drake does a face-paw motion...*

Guys, please, please, stop this in-fighting... It's unbecoming of the proud, semi-professionalism that I've thus far seen in our sub-forum, and I really don't want to have to ask a Mod to lock the thread... Remember our state's motto, "United we Stand, Divided we Fall".

Can't we come to some type of agreement, or an understanding here? It makes me sad to see bickering here. Langzaiguy; I would beg you to please just apologize to U.M. for the personal attack, no matter the nature, and bury the hachette, and U.M., I wish to ask you to please just let things go, and settle on an agreement to hack out both of your problems in person at the next M&G that we all plan to attend, or atleast have a gentlemanly, and private conversation via e-mail?

*Offers muffins, and hugs to help stop the fighting*

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Because someone CHOOSES a certain profession, does that entitle them to free stuff? I will soon have my AAS degree in criminal justice, and will be proceeding to the state police academy. Once I put on a gun and badge, does that make me more deserving than anyone else? Certainly not; I am choosing my profession just as everyone else, and I certainly will not accept any sort of discount that wouldn't be offered to any citizen. When I worked for the KyDOT, I was placing myself in danger everyday. Highway maintenance workers have a higher death rate than law enforcement, does that mean I should have got more free stuff than an officer?

I don't understand why to some it is ok for an officer to get free things and discounts when any other citizen would not get the same treatment? I believe any one of us here would risk our lives to save our fellow citizens; it is our duty as Americans! Remember, we are the home of the brave! And drake is correct, "United we stand, divided we fall!"

langzaiguy

@Drake I don't believe Unfettered is mad at me but at the comments another member of this forum--keltec. While Keltec was perhaps the first to speak disrespectfully, I was voicing my frustration at the level of discourse Unfettered was taking this thread to. I stick by my words that the rant was childish, irrelevant to OC, and unprofessional. I won't apologize for calling a spade a spade. Like Unfettered said, he's normally not like that and his posts have always been helpful and legit.

Let's keep the OC forum about OC, agreeable?

@flb Keep the posts coming man--hilarious haha

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

@Drake I don't believe Unfettered is mad at me but at the comments another member of this forum--keltec. While Keltec was perhaps the first to speak disrespectfully, I was voicing my frustration at the level of discourse Unfettered was taking this thread to. I stick by my words that the rant was childish, irrelevant to OC, and unprofessional. I won't apologize for calling a spade a spade. Like Unfettered said, he's normally not like that and his posts have always been helpful and legit.

Let's keep the OC forum about OC, agreeable?

@flb Keep the posts coming man--hilarious haha

Oh, sorry, my mistake, I'll have to re-read the first page, looked different to me, I'm sorry for the confusion.

self preservation

Because someone CHOOSES a certain profession, does that entitle them to free stuff? I will soon have my AAS degree in criminal justice, and will be proceeding to the state police academy. Once I put on a gun and badge, does that make me more deserving than anyone else? Certainly not; I am choosing my profession just as everyone else, and I certainly will not accept any sort of discount that wouldn't be offered to any citizen. When I worked for the KyDOT, I was placing myself in danger everyday. Highway maintenance workers have a higher death rate than law enforcement, does that mean I should have got more free stuff than an officer?

I don't understand why to some it is ok for an officer to get free things and discounts when any other citizen would not get the same treatment? I believe any one of us here would risk our lives to save our fellow citizens; it is our duty as Americans! Remember, we are the home of the brave! And drake is correct, "United we stand, divided we fall!"

Go luck with your upcoming state police academy. I promise you one of the things that will be taught is ethnics. And I promise that they will tell you that receiving a discount on anything for any reason is unethnical. But, I also bet that you will be offered discounts and will eventualy take them. Now I'm not trying to call you out or be disrespectful so please dont take it that way. I'm just saying because I have been in a similar line of work (fire service) for going on 18 years as a volunteer and the past 10 years as paid as well and have walked and do walk this road all the time. I do agree that fire,police, EMS etc do not deserve a discount a bit more than the guy flagging traffic on the interstate.....or we ALL deserve a discount but that ain't gonna happen. I think what the public looks at is "what do they provide to us" And yes the flagger on the interstate provides a safety service, but I'm not talking about that kind of service. I'm not talking about the police taking drunk drivers off the road or stopping a robbery, not talking about the Firefighter saving 10 babies from a fire or a paramedic who saves a life with medicine...I'm talking about the kind of service these folks dont have to provide but do anyhow. One example is "shop with a cop". This is not a tax funded service but rather money out of pocket. I know my department installs car seats for children, we do a community CPR programs that is mostly taught by off duty people on their own dime, this past Christmas we had a family that was going through some bad stuff...recent death in family, Grandmother just got custody of 5 kids and really couldnt provide a Christmad to them..So we showed up Christmas day to their house with an International flat bed full of toys that we (as well as others) bought out of pocket. And as far as the volunteering goes....I would hate to see what I have spent out of pocket to provide my services over the years. So I guess what I'm trying to say is it all comes out in the wash... I NEVER ask for a discount and I'm always prepared to pay full price. But if they give me a discount of any kind I simply say thank you and pay what is then owed. To accept or not to accept has been a debate ever since I could remember..and it still is. I pretty much just roll with the flow and what happens, happens.

self preservation

I scheduled a meeting with my State Senator, once. The only place that was convenient for both of us was a local restaurant. It was not at meal time and it was hot outside. He had iced tea and I had a soft drink. After the meeting I offered to pay the $3 tab and he said, "I can't let you. It is against our ethic rules. If you pay for everyone in the place, it would be OK, but not just for me alone." I thought a great more of him after this meeting. I know everyone in public employ is not covered by this type of ethics rule, but maybe they should be. What happens when a LEO handles a dispute between two people and one of them has been giving him free or discounted meals for the last few years? How would you feel if you were on the losing side of that dispute?

Oh Mr. Gutshot, please believe me when I say that I see your point. But like you say, everyone is held to different ethical standards. I know that the police academy tell's their students to never accept free or discounted items. But why do you think that you seem to always see cops at Mcdonalds?? Because they get FREE food. They soon forget the standard that they were taught and the standard that they are held to. I can tell you the standard that Firefighters (at least in the 2 fire depts. I serve) are held to. For one you NEVER ASK for a discount. You always expect to pay full price but IF you do receive a discount you say THANK YOU. We had a guy at my paid dept. one time that got a fountain drink from a local BP. When the clerk rang up his order and said "that will be a $1.25" he said "but it's supposed to be free"..........This guy got his a$$ chewed off by the brass for that...as he should have. They were real quick to tell him that a discount is a privilege and not a right and to NEVER,NEVER say something that stupid again. I know that I have had to stress to my guys at my vol dept. that the same mind set should exist and to never feel like you are entitled to s**t. We recently had a class titled "leadership 2" and the same questions about ethics was brought up and honestly we were never told to accept or decline discounts. (by the way, this is a nation wide class and standard..not just a local class) Now with that said we can NEVER accept money as a gift. And more than one time I have seen folks bring to the fire station gifts cards, tickets to concert/sporting events and other misc gifts to crews that have made a call on their loved ones (or themselves) and made a great difference in their or their loved ones life......These types of gratuity are quickly taken by the chief and returned as "inappropriate" gifts....However...If someone wants to bring in a tray of home made brownies for a job well done......well, game on :)

ManInBlack

I can assure you, if you dress in slacks, dress shoes and a collared shirt, people will mistaken you for a police officer all day long. I know most OCers don't like being perceived as a police officer, but it sure does feel AMAZING when it happens!

Great experience! It was fun to read :)

Just don't go back into the same little Ceasers and tell them you're NOT a cop ;)

Umm...I don't think it's at all AMAZING to be perceived as something I am not. Furthermore, if people falsely perceive an armed citizen to be a police officer, it does nothing to help promote the carrying of properly holstered handguns in modern American life.

As far as the discount issue goes, if a private business knocks some money off of your bill because of their own perceptions, there is nothing wrong with that. However, once I noticed the law enforcement discount, I would have said, "I appreciate you giving me a deal today, but just so you know, I'm just a citizen exercising his rights," and walked out the door.

Police are not some holy priesthood. They voluntarily accept a government job because in their economic calculations, government pay and benefits are worth any minute risk they may assume. Police officers are not even in the top-10 of occupational mortality, and your local pizza delivery boy has a higher likelihood of dying in the line of duty. Police officers also have a lot of on-the-job freedom, and frequently use taxpayer resources to run personal errands.

Last edited: