Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fulton Co. SWAT 0100 warrant service on 14 & 15 y.o. desperados. AJC.com

Herr Heckler Koch

Fulton Co. SWAT 0100 warrant service on 14 & 15 y.o. desperados. AJC.com

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/swa...n-1434103.html
    Quote Originally Posted by AJC
    The Fulton County police SWAT team was activated early Wednesday to serve felony warrants on two juveniles at a home off Godby Road. SWAT officers arrived at the home on Louis XIV Lane around 1 a.m.

Fulton County police Det. Melissa Parker said the SWAT team was used to serve the warrants on the 14- and 15-year-old boys for safety reasons. She said no one was injured during the incident, which wrapped up around 5 a.m.

At one point, a police helicopter with a spotlight hovered over the neighborhood off Godby Road.

Parker would not say what charges the teens face, but said they were part of an ongoing investigation.

Angry

SWAT teams are used in situations like these because it is more fun. Pure and simple. It could be a 99 year old great grandmother in a wheelchair, and they'd still break in the middle of the night like common thieves, toss a few flashbangs, shout, maybe fire a few rounds.

Way more exciting for our brave paladins of public order than watching, waiting, and effecting a normal arrest during daylight hours like civilized human beings.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 05-09-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Has it really come to the point where 14 and 15 year olds raised in this country are really that tough? Wow! I need a bigger gun and more of them!

I understand the sentiment, but I wouldn't be joking.

If you don't think a 10-year-old could be a threat, you haven't met my daughter. Fortunately, she's one of the good guys.

Don't get any preconceived notions about where the attack is going to come from. That will simply lead to you getting blindsided. A skinny little 14-year-old girl is just as much a threat as any football playing high schooler.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    I understand the sentiment, but I wouldn't be joking. If you don't think a 10-year-old could be a threat, you haven't met my daughter. Fortunately, she's one of the good guys. Don't get any preconceived notions about where the attack is going to come from. That will simply lead to you getting blindsided. A skinny little 14-year-old girl is just as much a threat as any football playing high schooler.
    So the paramilitarized police SWAT warrant service in this case was righteous in your opinion and for all other adolescent suspects?

??

These were not adolescent suspects, they were FELONY suspects.

How do you propose they should have served multiple felony warrants at a single location?

"Knock, knock! Could you please come out? We have cookies!"

I did not see in the story what they were charged with. They were felony warrants. They were teenagers who could have adult accomplices. They could have been armed. I don't know and won't assume.

I don't agree with the idea of a 'para-military' police force, but I also don't want them to come to harm. Give them a better option, if you have one.
    Last edited by MyWifeSaidYes; 05-09-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    SWAT teams are used in situations like these because it is more fun. Pure and simple. It could be a 99 year old great grandmother in a wheelchair, and they'd still break in the middle of the night like common thieves, toss a few flashbangs, shout, maybe fire a few rounds.
    Don't forget 'kill the family dog'....

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Don't forget 'kill the family dog'....
    That's what the snipers are for!

Thumbs down

I did not see in the story what they were charged with. They were felony warrants. They were teenagers who could have adult accomplices. They could have been armed. I don't know and won't assume.
    And a felony warrant could be for non-violent possession of an arbitrary amount of an arbitrarily non-approved substance.

A military operation should not be the default for warrant service in a free country.

Somehow, peace officers in generations past effected lawful arrests of truly dangerous killers and other outlaws, without benefit of all the fun toys purchased with DoD and Homeland Security grants.
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?

We have come a long way from Andy Griffin....

I can just picture Barny Fife in full SWAT gear.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack
    And a felony warrant could be for non-violent possession of an arbitrary amount of an arbitrarily non-approved substance.
    Yes, it could. Which one was it this time? If you know, please post it.

A military operation should not be the default for warrant service in a free country.
    Is it the default method for this agency? I haven't called them about it. Military operation? Really?

Somehow, peace officers in generations past effected lawful arrests of truly dangerous killers and other outlaws, without benefit of all the fun toys purchased with DoD and Homeland Security grants.
    You may want to check on the statistics of past generations of peace officers dying in the line of duty.

I am not a LEO, but if I try to put myself in their position, I think they are under-dressed when breaching a door and putting themselves into an unknown situation.

Recoil.

Thumbs down

You may want to check on the statistics of past generations of peace officers dying in the line of duty.

I am not a LEO, but if I try to put myself in their position, I think they are under-dressed when breaching a door and putting themselves into an unknown situation.
    You do realize that American LEOs are not now, and have never been, even in the top-10 when it comes to occupational mortality, don't you?

If you don't realize this no-knock stuff is getting out of control, you are simply uninformed.

Suspects in crimes have not been proven guilty of anything. What if they are innocent, or what if the police made a mistake and raided the wrong house, which has also happened. Citizens have been shot and killed because, having no reason to expect a violent intrusion by government, they treat it as a violent intrusion by criminals. How would you react, if your door was kicked in in the middle of the night, you had no idea why, and men wearing black masks were pointing guns at you?

If anything, this increases danger to the police. But most exciting things are dangerous...
    O RLY?

Or, the felony warrant(s) could have been issued based on a pack of lies.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    You do realize that American LEOs are not now, and have never been, even in the top-10 when it comes to occupational mortality, don't you?

If you don't realize this no-knock stuff is getting out of control, you are simply uninformed.

Suspects in crimes have not been proven guilty of anything. What if they are innocent, or what if the police made a mistake and raided the wrong house, which has also happened. Citizens have been shot and killed because, having no reason to expect a violent intrusion by government, they treat it as a violent intrusion by criminals. How would you react, if your door was kicked in in the middle of the night, you had no idea why, and men wearing black masks were pointing guns at you?

If anything, this increases danger to the police. But most exciting things are dangerous...
    I apologize profusely! I did not see in the story that this was a no-knock warrant served on the wrong house! It's horrible that they shot the civilians (and their little dog, too!)

Yes, no-knock warrants are being issued a bit too often. My earlier point is still valid: We don't know all the facts and we should not assume anything.

Recoil.

Of course if they were more accurate about situations before breaching unknown doors in the first place.... then maybe how they were dressed wouldn't be an issue?

http://www.businessinsider.com/9-hor...e-raids-2012-2

http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

P.S.: The proper American attitude is to give the citizen the benefit of the doubt, not government. Your statism, sir, is disturbing.
    O RLY?

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post

+1 rotflmao

Serving FELONY warrants on TWO people in one house! Using SWAT sounds much better than sending in two deputies to knock on the door. I believe in officer safety, and no one here knows what the actual charges were. If you think about it, it is much safer for the occupants in the house too.

Using Tapatalk

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Serving FELONY warrants on TWO people in one house! Using SWAT sounds much better than sending in two deputies to knock on the door. I believe in officer safety, and no one here knows what the actual charges were. If you think about it, it is much safer for the occupants in the house too.

Using Tapatalk

Was it safer for this guy?

Again, I ask you, what would you do if your door was kicked in the middle of the night, men dressed in black with masks on their faces point guns at you, and you have no idea why they're there or what is going on?
    O RLY?

Occasionally mistakes are made ( ie. SWAT raids the wrong house) mistakes are also made by police officers, then the question is why weren't special tactics used. Any death is unacceptable. Additionally, if you are a wanted felon, you will be expecting and preparing for your door busted down at 3 am...They will be screaming POLICE! SEARCH WARRANT !

Using Tapatalk

Thumbs down

Additionally, if you are a wanted felon, you will be expecting and preparing for your door busted down at 3 am...They will be screaming POLICE! SEARCH WARRANT !
    The gentleman who was murdered in that video had a negligible amount of marijuana.

What a heinous criminal. Surely, he should have been expecting a violent intrusion in the middle of the night by the government he pays his protection money to.
    O RLY?

I wasnt replying about that man, I was replying to the original post that ARE wanted felons. I think I would be startled in the middle of the night and go for my firearm....but then I would hear the yelling of police and would NOT aquire them as a target, and then would comply with their commands.

Using Tapatalk

Thumbs down

I wasnt replying about that man, I was replying to the original post that ARE wanted felons. I think I would be startled in the middle of the night and go for my firearm....but then I would hear the yelling of police and would NOT aquire them as a target, and then would comply with their commands.
    O RLY?

http://www.wsmv.com/story/16471058/h...to-be-officers
    NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) - Metro police are looking for two men who pretended to be police officers during a home invasion on Sunday morning.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/30...ily-terrified/
    MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Miami-Dade Police are searching for two men they say terrorized a home Friday morning by pretending to be police officers.
    http://www.sunjournal.com/news/state...agents/1169589
    STANDISH, Maine (AP) — Maine police say four men pretending to be drug agents are blamed for a home invasion in which a 6-year-old girl watched as five adults were handcuffed.
    http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/P...9.html?ref=909
    Police want to find two men who committed a home invasion by pretending they were officers.
    Investigators in Nicholasville say the men forced their way into a home on Shun Pike this afternoon by claiming to be police.
    http://www.fox43tv.com/dpps/news/loc...vasion_4136672
    VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Virginia Beach police are investigating a home invasion in which the suspects pretended to be police officers to gain entry.
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8107975
    OGDEN -- A violent home invasion in Ogden may have been a case of mistaken identity. One person is in jail, and police are looking for two other suspects. It happened before 2:00 a.m. Tuesday near 160 Patterson Street.
    Investigators said the men were armed with sawed-off shotguns and a sledgehammer when they broke through the back door of the home.
    "They represented themselves by yelling, ‘police,' and then asked for drugs, money and weapons," Ogden police Lt. Scott Sangberg said.
    It seems as though the tactics of the public-sector criminal gangs are so effective, they are being widely adopted by the private-sector criminal gangs.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 05-09-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    O RLY?

I think I would be startled in the middle of the night and go for my firearm....but then I would hear the yelling of police and would NOT aquire them as a target, and then would comply with their commands.
    Thats assuming the police actually yell anything.... they don't always do that (even when they are supposed too).

Btw, were you involved in the raid mentioned in the original post?

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post

And one cartridge in his shirt pocket!!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast