• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fulton Co. SWAT 0100 warrant service on 14 & 15 y.o. desperados. AJC.com

• Thread starter Herr Heckler Koch
  • Start date
H

Herr Heckler Koch

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/swat-team-called-in-1434103.html
AJC said:
The Fulton County police SWAT team was activated early Wednesday to serve felony warrants on two juveniles at a home off Godby Road. SWAT officers arrived at the home on Louis XIV Lane around 1 a.m.

Fulton County police Det. Melissa Parker said the SWAT team was used to serve the warrants on the 14- and 15-year-old boys for safety reasons. She said no one was injured during the incident, which wrapped up around 5 a.m.

At one point, a police helicopter with a spotlight hovered over the neighborhood off Godby Road.

Parker would not say what charges the teens face, but said they were part of an ongoing investigation.

ManInBlack

SWAT teams are used in situations like these because it is more fun. Pure and simple. It could be a 99 year old great grandmother in a wheelchair, and they'd still break in the middle of the night like common thieves, toss a few flashbangs, shout, maybe fire a few rounds.

Way more exciting for our brave paladins of public order than watching, waiting, and effecting a normal arrest during daylight hours like civilized human beings.

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

Has it really come to the point where 14 and 15 year olds raised in this country are really that tough? Wow! I need a bigger gun and more of them!:lol:

MyWifeSaidYes

I understand the sentiment, but I wouldn't be joking.

If you don't think a 10-year-old could be a threat, you haven't met my daughter. Fortunately, she's one of the good guys.

Don't get any preconceived notions about where the attack is going to come from. That will simply lead to you getting blindsided. A skinny little 14-year-old girl is just as much a threat as any football playing high schooler.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I understand the sentiment, but I wouldn't be joking. If you don't think a 10-year-old could be a threat, you haven't met my daughter. Fortunately, she's one of the good guys. Don't get any preconceived notions about where the attack is going to come from. That will simply lead to you getting blindsided. A skinny little 14-year-old girl is just as much a threat as any football playing high schooler.
So the paramilitarized police SWAT warrant service in this case was righteous in your opinion and for all other adolescent suspects?

MyWifeSaidYes

??

These were not adolescent suspects, they were FELONY suspects.

How do you propose they should have served multiple felony warrants at a single location?

"Knock, knock! Could you please come out? We have cookies!"

I did not see in the story what they were charged with. They were felony warrants. They were teenagers who could have adult accomplices. They could have been armed. I don't know and won't assume.

I don't agree with the idea of a 'para-military' police force, but I also don't want them to come to harm. Give them a better option, if you have one.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

SWAT teams are used in situations like these because it is more fun. Pure and simple. It could be a 99 year old great grandmother in a wheelchair, and they'd still break in the middle of the night like common thieves, toss a few flashbangs, shout, maybe fire a few rounds.

Don't forget 'kill the family dog'.... :uhoh:

ManInBlack

I did not see in the story what they were charged with. They were felony warrants. They were teenagers who could have adult accomplices. They could have been armed. I don't know and won't assume.

And a felony warrant could be for non-violent possession of an arbitrary amount of an arbitrarily non-approved substance.

A military operation should not be the default for warrant service in a free country.

Somehow, peace officers in generations past effected lawful arrests of truly dangerous killers and other outlaws, without benefit of all the fun toys purchased with DoD and Homeland Security grants.

MyWifeSaidYes

ManInBlack said:
And a felony warrant could be for non-violent possession of an arbitrary amount of an arbitrarily non-approved substance.

Yes, it could. Which one was it this time? If you know, please post it.

ManInBlack said:
A military operation should not be the default for warrant service in a free country.

Is it the default method for this agency? I haven't called them about it. Military operation? Really?

ManInBlack said:
Somehow, peace officers in generations past effected lawful arrests of truly dangerous killers and other outlaws, without benefit of all the fun toys purchased with DoD and Homeland Security grants.

You may want to check on the statistics of past generations of peace officers dying in the line of duty.

I am not a LEO, but if I try to put myself in their position, I think they are under-dressed when breaching a door and putting themselves into an unknown situation.

ManInBlack

You may want to check on the statistics of past generations of peace officers dying in the line of duty.

I am not a LEO, but if I try to put myself in their position, I think they are under-dressed when breaching a door and putting themselves into an unknown situation.

You do realize that American LEOs are not now, and have never been, even in the top-10 when it comes to occupational mortality, don't you?

If you don't realize this no-knock stuff is getting out of control, you are simply uninformed.

Suspects in crimes have not been proven guilty of anything. What if they are innocent, or what if the police made a mistake and raided the wrong house, which has also happened. Citizens have been shot and killed because, having no reason to expect a violent intrusion by government, they treat it as a violent intrusion by criminals. How would you react, if your door was kicked in in the middle of the night, you had no idea why, and men wearing black masks were pointing guns at you?

If anything, this increases danger to the police. But most exciting things are dangerous...

MyWifeSaidYes

You do realize that American LEOs are not now, and have never been, even in the top-10 when it comes to occupational mortality, don't you?

If you don't realize this no-knock stuff is getting out of control, you are simply uninformed.

Suspects in crimes have not been proven guilty of anything. What if they are innocent, or what if the police made a mistake and raided the wrong house, which has also happened. Citizens have been shot and killed because, having no reason to expect a violent intrusion by government, they treat it as a violent intrusion by criminals. How would you react, if your door was kicked in in the middle of the night, you had no idea why, and men wearing black masks were pointing guns at you?

If anything, this increases danger to the police. But most exciting things are dangerous...

I apologize profusely! I did not see in the story that this was a no-knock warrant served on the wrong house! It's horrible that they shot the civilians (and their little dog, too!)

Yes, no-knock warrants are being issued a bit too often. My earlier point is still valid: We don't know all the facts and we should not assume anything.

Blk97F150

ManInBlack

P.S.: The proper American attitude is to give the citizen the benefit of the doubt, not government. Your statism, sir, is disturbing.

JeffD

Serving FELONY warrants on TWO people in one house! Using SWAT sounds much better than sending in two deputies to knock on the door. I believe in officer safety, and no one here knows what the actual charges were. If you think about it, it is much safer for the occupants in the house too.

Using Tapatalk

ManInBlack

Serving FELONY warrants on TWO people in one house! Using SWAT sounds much better than sending in two deputies to knock on the door. I believe in officer safety, and no one here knows what the actual charges were. If you think about it, it is much safer for the occupants in the house too.

Using Tapatalk

[video=youtube_share;44jaZIz6vaY]http://youtu.be/44jaZIz6vaY[/video]

Was it safer for this guy?

Again, I ask you, what would you do if your door was kicked in the middle of the night, men dressed in black with masks on their faces point guns at you, and you have no idea why they're there or what is going on?

JeffD

Occasionally mistakes are made ( ie. SWAT raids the wrong house) mistakes are also made by police officers, then the question is why weren't special tactics used. Any death is unacceptable. Additionally, if you are a wanted felon, you will be expecting and preparing for your door busted down at 3 am...They will be screaming POLICE! SEARCH WARRANT !

Using Tapatalk