• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This Is Ridiculous.

msteinhilber

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
What's the big deal? I've seen guns of all shapes and sizes and various calibers. Heck, I had a four barreled "Pepperbox" when I was a kid.

The three barreled gun is an antique and apparently only one was made. It's also .25ACP caliber. Here are more photos of it: http://www.horstheld.com/0-Spain.htm

Law abider

I realize that there are fangled inventions out there that serve no purpose. What purpose would this pistol serve? It is cumbersome and after a gunfight at the local saloon back when we have been told there was the wild west, if you didn't get your opponent, how in the heck are you going to reload this gizmo fast enough or any of the other pepper shots around that may have been more functional? Isn't there a purpose behind inventions? To make them user friendly, affordable to the masses, easy to maintain etc...

Please don't say that this was a precursor to a semi auto hand gun. Whatever the reason for it's existence, thankfully there was only ONE made.

Interceptor_Knight

I realize that there are fangled inventions out there that serve no purpose. What purpose would this pistol serve? ...
Back in the 1800s, there were no semiautomatic firearms. We progressed from muzzle loaders to breech loaders. Custom firearms manufacturers tried out all sorts of expensive designs which were sold to rich customers. Guns do not need a practical purpose to sell. Guns were and still are status symbols in certain circles. Look at how expensive some custom shotguns and rifles are. This is often due more to aesthetics than function.

.....Please don't say that this was a precursor to a semi auto hand gun. Whatever the reason for it's existence, thankfully there was only ONE made.

This was a precursor to a semi auto hand gun. This is not the only multiple barrel revolver design ever produced. They had one on a Sons Of Guns episode.

Last edited:

Law abider

those pistol have been around for years an arms maker in france made them during the 1860's
they made them in a 20 shot and a 30 shot and im sure in between as well
http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/very-rare-30-shot-revolver

they also had pistols that were called chain shot revolvers patented in 1866
http://hellinahandbasket.net/?p=5849

UNBELIVEABLE!! I never thought that technological inginuity would cause people to go to such lenghts to produce a mini gun that works. I guess interceptor_knight is right. I always thought that technology eventually brought about practicality in order to appeal to the masses along with asthetics, functionality and the ability to maintain. Now I know that long guns went from those crude middle age blunderbusses/Bunderbusses?? to wheel locks to flintlocks to the precussion etc... but in each case each one was made as simple and practicle for the technology of the times. Some of the old long guns from the frontier era are beautifully made and to me the handling/ holding practical. I have strayed from the topic. I wanted to think the same of handguns/revolvers etc... It seems that I have a long to learn to go unlike many of you out there.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

If you have ever disassembled and reassembled a Borchardt C-1893 then you will know that self-loading pistols have gotten much simpler and elegantly simple, but none as elegant as the C-96 and P-08. When I win the lottery then I will collect old Selbstladenpistole for their elegance and ingenuity.