• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Richmond Picnic, Sunday 6/3/12 11AM - Pocahontas State Park

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Where: VCDL picnic at Pocahontas State Park
10301 State Park Road Chesterfield, VA 23832
Shelter #4 Reservation has been made under "OCDO picnic"

When: Sunday, June 3rd year of our Lord 2012
11:00 am to whenever (shelter reservation starts at 8:00 and runs all day)

Details: Follow Tess' format of what to bring (see Tess' post below)

Additional: Parking Fee is $5.00, hiking trails, horse trails, fishing, canoeing, swimming, camping, RV access.

RSVP by PM to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

mpguy

How about I work on a date that we can have an open-carry outing at a state park?
Pocahantaus comes to mind, but I'm open. We could reserve a cookout area and have some fellowship.

We need one in the Hampton Roads area ;p

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
If enough people show interest I'll reserve a large picnic shelter at Pocahontas State Park. Cost is $90.00 and being that I am poor with small children I may need some donations. I could call and make a reservation for Saturday June 2nd or Sunday June 3rd. That's the weekend after Memorial day. I really want Skid, Grape, Pro shooter, Joe and Peter Nap to show interest and maybe even Phillip.

I have grilling supplies, propane grill, propane burners and plenty of propane gas to bring.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/poc.shtml

Tess

Founder's Club Member
If enough people show interest I'll reserve a large picnic shelter at Pocahontas State Park. Cost is $90.00 and being that I am poor with small children I may need some donations. I could call and make a reservation for Saturday June 2nd or Sunday June 3rd. That's the weekend after Memorial day. I really want Skid, Grape, Pro shooter, Joe and Peter Nap to show interest and maybe even Phillip.

I have grilling supplies, propane grill, propane burners and plenty of propane gas to bring.

I'd travel southward for it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

I'm in. PM me about chipping in towards the cost of the shelter.

If you post it they will come has always been our mantra. Do not let folks turn this into a debate about what date to hold the event.

We'll hit up VCDL for funds to get a cake.

We need one in the Hampton Roads area ;p

Again, If you post it they will come. But if you pick the same day as the Greater Richmond picnic I will not come to yours. That leaves only about 50 Hampton Roads die-hards. Don't forget to put the bite on VCDL for a cake.

stay safe.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I'm in. PM me about chipping in towards the cost of the shelter.

If you post it they will come has always been our mantra. Do not let folks turn this into a debate about what date to hold the event.

We'll hit up VCDL for funds to get a cake.

Again, If you post it they will come. But if you pick the same day as the Greater Richmond picnic I will not come to yours. That leaves only about 50 Hampton Roads die-hards. Don't forget to put the bite on VCDL for a cake.

stay safe.

Cool, let me call about reserving a spot. I'm sure one of those days will be open.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Here's the list we use for the annual Burke Lake Park picnic ... posting the list and asking for people to bring something from it has worked well for us.

List of supplies and who is bringing what.

Charcoal -
grill tools -
Plates -
Cups -
Napkins -
Plastic forks knives and spoons -
Table cloth -
Aluminum foil -
Hamburgers -
Cheese -
Hot Dogs -
Rolls/buns -
Lettuce, Tomato, Onion -
Chips -
Tin Foil Corn
20 bowls of potato salad -
Cole Slaw -
Baked beans
Water --
Soda -
Coffee / coffee pot?
ketchup -
mustard
-
relish -
other food? --
Camcorder
other gear?
cheesecake
Cookies/Cupcakes for kids
ICE...
Chairs - bring your own; some of us will have 1-2 extra

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Reservation has been made

Mods, could you change the name of this thread and turn it into a sticky?

I made reservations this morning for Shelter 4 under the name "OCDO Picnic" at Pocahontas State Park on Sunday June 3. I reserved Shelter #4 because it is the closest for parking and closest to the restrooms. The website says it accommodates 70/80 people so I'm sure that will be fine for our needs. The cost is 94.50. Skid, I will get with you about your offer because I am poor well, as it pertains to having cash-on-hand anyway.

From the Pocahontas State Park website:
Shelter 4 (large): This shelter accommodates 70-80, with no additional tables around the shelter. This shelter is not within easy walking distance to the aqua center/pool, playground, and boating areas. It has paved walkways and is only 10 feet from parking. It has handicapped picnic tables, a large grill and a water spigot. The restroom is 120 feet away. This shelter is in a moderately wooded area; a small stream well suited for novice or young anglers is only a short walk away. There is no electricity.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/poc.shtml#picnicshelters

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's officially on! We're having a picnic.

stay safe.

List of supplies and who is bringing what.

Charcoal -
grill tools -
Plates - skidmark (bringing 100)
Cups - skidmark (brnging 100)
Napkins - skidmark (bringing 250 'cause youse guys is messy)
Plastic forks knives and spoons -
Table cloth -
Coffee / coffee pot -
Aluminum foil -
Hamburgers -
Hamburger buns -
Cheese -
Hot Dogs -
Hot Dog buns -
Lettuce, Tomato, Onion -
Chips -
Corn for roasting on the grill -
potato salad -
Cole Slaw -
Baked beans -
Water -
Soda -
ketchup -
mustard -
relish -
other food? --
Camcorder
other gear?
cheesecake
Cookies/Cupcakes for kids
ICE...
Chairs - bring your own; some of us will have 1-2 extra​

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Changed the title, stickied and email sent to possible sponsor.

Might suggest that donations be held in abeyance until my question of sponsor is answered. Of course the donations could be made to that organization as such is always appreciated.

Any objection to identifying this as an official event of our favorite group if such approval were forthcoming?
Of course specific credit will be given to the member who stepped forward and got this moving.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Might suggest that donations be held in abeyance until my question of sponsor is answered. Of course the donations could be made to that organization as such is always appreciated.

Any objection to identifying this as an official event of our favorite group if such approval were forthcoming?
Of course specific credit will be given to the member who stepped forward and got this moving.

PM sent to Grapeshot and T Dubya.

stay safe.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
PM me as to who is coming and # of guests - I will use this post to document that

T Dubya - 3 and a possible (small children)
Tess - 3
Skidmark -
Grapeshot - 2
Bowesmobile -
Toggleswitch -
Agent 19 - 6 (small children)
Peter Nap -
VCDL President -

19 confirmed

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
T Dubya - 3 and a possible
Tess - 3
Skidmark -
Grapeshot -
Bowesmobile -
Toggleswitch -
Agent 19 - ?

I'll bring chips. If weather is very nice, we'll be on motorcycles, which limits our carrying capacity.

Editing to state my disgust at forum software (apparently) adding links that are not of my choosing, and not permitting me the option of deleting the link.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member

I've always been in favor of keeping that group and OCDO separate. However, should they choose to sponsor it, a public acknowledgement and hearty thanks would be in order.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I've always been in favor of keeping that group and OCDO separate. However, should they choose to sponsor it, a public acknowledgement and hearty thanks would be in order.

I have turned it over to VCDL. The only thing I asked is that since it is an open-carry celebration that all those who choose to carry open-carry. To me, VCDL and the Virginia section of OCDO are almost one in the same. I feel like a good time will still be had by all.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I really want Skid, Grape, Pro shooter, Joe and Peter Nap to show interest and maybe even Phillip.
:lol::banana::lol::monkey:lol:

I'm in. Let me know how much for the shelter!