Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington CPL - "The Changes They Are A Coming"

Washington CPL - "The Changes They Are A Coming"

Good Afternoon Bill,

The information you are hearing is partially correct. The license will not be on
    the same card stock as the state drivers license however, the format is changing.
    The new license will be about the size of the drivers license and can be folded in
    half and laminated to be the actual size of the drivers license. The way the
    information is displayed is changing as well as no signature required by the
    applicant on the license. Also it is on a special type of paper so if it is copied
    the copy with show void written over the license itself.

We are currently still in the testing phase and hope to do a soft launch soon and
    open it to all LEA's after the soft launch. Unfortunately we do not have an exact
    start date for the new licenses. We are also working on an online submission of
    pistol transfer applications for the dealers at the same time.

Feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns. Thank you and have
    a great day.

Firearms Unit
    Dept. of Licensing
    Business and Professions Division
    360-664-6616
    Firearms@dol.wa.gov

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:34 PM
    To: DOL Firearms
    Subject: CPL changes

I work at a gun shop and I have heard from a few different individuals over
    the last month, that there is a change coming in the style of the license.
    The change is that we are going from a paper license to something like a
    hard plastic card (IE: drivers license). Is this true or in the works ?

Bill

I wonder how the anti-copy feature is going to work out. Some employers offer more money if you have a CPL and I would imagine they'll want a copy for their records.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Well as long as it has an issue/expiration date the information the employer needs is documented

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    I wonder how the anti-copy feature is going to work out. Some employers offer more money if you have a CPL and I would imagine they'll want a copy for their records.
    Really? Some examples would be great to have.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Gavin de Becker & Associates for one. Assorted contract companies as well as security.

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

A copy with void all over it would still probably show enough information for an employer asking for it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    Gavin de Becker & Associates for one. Assorted contract companies as well as security.
    Thanks.

I learned something new today.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

I'll put this in "I'll worry about it in 3 years when I have to renew" file. By then there will probably be 3 or 4 more changes.

Now if they'd just offer a Laminated or plastic version just like a D/L. Too bad they're not smart enough to just make it an "Endorsement" on the D/L or WA State ID card. Just think of the money they could save by not duplicating everything.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Smile new cpl format

[QUOTE=decklin;1751062]I wonder how the anti-copy feature is going to work out. /QUOTE]

Probably look like the passport copies you make for loss prevention purposes...fuzzy but sufficient.

Oops! I misread the original post. Now I understand. The copy will say void not the license. Never mind, apparently my reading comprehension sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Now if they'd just offer a Laminated or plastic version just like a D/L. Too bad they're not smart enough to just make it an "Endorsement" on the D/L or WA State ID card. Just think of the money they could save by not duplicating everything.
    Nah... that makes too much sense! I suspect that the issue with that is due to the fact that different authorities issue CPLs. I dunno.
    --R
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

I'm all in favor of them dropping the whole licensing thing altogether.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I'm all in favor of them dropping the whole licensing thing altogether.
    May I re-phrase that for you? I will any how but I am not attempting to insult you by doing so.

I would agree except, I would say it like this,"I'm all in favor of them dropping the requirement for a license thing altogether."

If they get rid of the license as it is now you could not carry in your car, legally.

SNIP...

I dunno about you but mine was laminated when they handed it to me at the LESA office after the fingerprinting.
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

I'll put this in "I'll worry about it in 3 years when I have to renew" file. By then there will probably be 3 or 4 more changes.

There is no law to ID yourself even when CC. The only thing you must provide is your CPL upon request.

I don't ever want to hand the police any picture ID if I don't have to. What you are proposing would make it a requirement.
    It would also cause problems in other laws.

I can't find any law requiring me to have any state ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    May I re-phrase that for you? I will any how but I am not attempting to insult you by doing so.

I would agree except, I would say it like this,"I'm all in favor of them dropping the requirement for a license thing altogether."

If they get rid of the license as it is now you could not carry in your car, legally.
    That's what I meant.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    There is no law to ID yourself even when CC. The only thing you must provide is your CPL upon request.

I don't ever want to hand the police any picture ID if I don't have to. What you are proposing would make it a requirement.
    It would also cause problems in other laws.

I can't find any law requiring me to have any state ID.
    And what information is on your D/L that isn't also on your CPL? Just duplication. If you have to show your CPL it's got everything but your Pic on it.

As for requiring State ID, no law that you have to have it. However, have you ever flown lately? Try and get on a plane without a government issued "Picture ID". Some don't have cars and don't drive for whatever the reason. For those the State issues a State ID card.

My point was merely to stop the freaking duplication. DOL manages the CPL information and has all the D/L information as well. A simple addition of a code on one's D/L as an "endorsement" allowing for the carry of a concealed firearm, especially while in a motor vehicle, would be simple and save money.

DevinWKuska-

That's nice that they laminated yours for you. All mine have been mailed to me and are just paper that has to be folded and when laminated is usually just enough larger than the D/L it won't fit in the same pocket of my wallet.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by DevinWKuska View Post
    I dunno about you but mine was laminated when they handed it to me at the LESA office after the fingerprinting.
    Correct, at LESA in Tacoma you can check a box and for $3 they will laminate it for you. They use 10mil laminate. A little overprice, but worth it in my opinion. I chose that option as well.
    Live Free or Die!

I did the same thing. It still looks new. The permit I had from NH did not come laminated so I did it myself and it didn't hold up well.

Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Correct, at LESA in Tacoma you can check a box and for $3 they will laminate it for you. They use 10mil laminate. A little overprice, but worth it in my opinion. I chose that option as well.
    Is Spokane Police out of the information loop? I got my CPL about 4 years ago and they specifically told me NOT to get mine laminated. Or has it changed in the last few years?

-Thor
    Last edited by Thor80; 05-11-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post

Well *Snicker* back at ya:

the lamestream press hasn't reported this at all...and down in there I give proper credit to our own Mr. Bill for inspiring the column.

Thing of it is, this is really loooooooooooooooooong overdue. I can't remember all of the people I've known who have gotten out the scissors or a sharp razor blade or pocket knife to trim the edges of the darned thing to make it fit in their wallet, and then go right out and screw themselves by laminating it.

I'd be delighted to be rid of the things altogether. But we live in this world, not the perfect one.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Kitsap County laminated mine for free.

And what information is on your D/L that isn't also on your CPL? Just duplication. If you have to show your CPL it's got everything but your Pic on it.

As for requiring State ID, no law that you have to have it. However, have you ever flown lately? Try and get on a plane without a government issued "Picture ID". Some don't have cars and don't drive for whatever the reason. For those the State issues a State ID card.

My point was merely to stop the freaking duplication. DOL manages the CPL information and has all the D/L information as well. A simple addition of a code on one's D/L as an "endorsement" allowing for the carry of a concealed firearm, especially while in a motor vehicle, would be simple and save money.

DevinWKuska-

That's nice that they laminated yours for you. All mine have been mailed to me and are just paper that has to be folded and when laminated is usually just enough larger than the D/L it won't fit in the same pocket of my wallet.
    There are different legal requirements and different expiration dates for the two forms. It would actually be more troublesome to try and combine them and as a dealer it can add confusion when it comes to adding the CPL info to the 4473. Though one other thing I would like to see is following Fed law on the NICS check where the CPL is an exception. But that will change just as soon as the cow flies over the moon and changes the requirement for a CPL and all other forms of licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post
    Well *Snicker* back at ya:

the lamestream press hasn't reported this at all...and down in there I give proper credit to our own Mr. Bill for inspiring the column.

Thing of it is, this is really loooooooooooooooooong overdue. I can't remember all of the people I've known who have gotten out the scissors or a sharp razor blade or pocket knife to trim the edges of the darned thing to make it fit in their wallet, and then go right out and screw themselves by laminating it.

I'd be delighted to be rid of the things altogether. But we live in this world, not the perfect one.
    Both my CPL and my state ID look like something that was printed in a basement.... and remind me of the paper 'credit card' and 'drivers license' from the 60's, that we found when my grandfather passed away.....

My brother LAUGHED when I showed him my CPL... But he lives in MD, so jokes on him: :-p
    Last edited by TechnoWeenie; 05-11-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast