• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington CPL - "The Changes They Are A Coming"

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Good Afternoon Bill,

The information you are hearing is partially correct. The license will not be on
the same card stock as the state drivers license however, the format is changing.
The new license will be about the size of the drivers license and can be folded in
half and laminated to be the actual size of the drivers license. The way the
information is displayed is changing as well as no signature required by the
applicant on the license. Also it is on a special type of paper so if it is copied
the copy with show void written over the license itself.

We are currently still in the testing phase and hope to do a soft launch soon and
open it to all LEA's after the soft launch. Unfortunately we do not have an exact
start date for the new licenses. We are also working on an online submission of
pistol transfer applications for the dealers at the same time.

Feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns. Thank you and have
a great day.

Firearms Unit
Dept. of Licensing
Business and Professions Division
360-664-6616
Firearms@dol.wa.gov

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:34 PM
To: DOL Firearms
Subject: CPL changes

I work at a gun shop and I have heard from a few different individuals over
the last month, that there is a change coming in the style of the license.
The change is that we are going from a paper license to something like a
hard plastic card (IE: drivers license). Is this true or in the works ?

Bill

decklin

I wonder how the anti-copy feature is going to work out. Some employers offer more money if you have a CPL and I would imagine they'll want a copy for their records.

Stretch

A copy with void all over it would still probably show enough information for an employer asking for it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

amlevin

I'll put this in "I'll worry about it in 3 years when I have to renew" file. By then there will probably be 3 or 4 more changes.

Now if they'd just offer a Laminated or plastic version just like a D/L. Too bad they're not smart enough to just make it an "Endorsement" on the D/L or WA State ID card. Just think of the money they could save by not duplicating everything.

decklin

Oops! I misread the original post. Now I understand. The copy will say void not the license. Never mind, apparently my reading comprehension sucks.

rapgood

Now if they'd just offer a Laminated or plastic version just like a D/L. Too bad they're not smart enough to just make it an "Endorsement" on the D/L or WA State ID card. Just think of the money they could save by not duplicating everything.

Nah... that makes too much sense! I suspect that the issue with that is due to the fact that different authorities issue CPLs. I dunno.
--R

Freedom1Man

I'm all in favor of them dropping the whole licensing thing altogether.

May I re-phrase that for you? I will any how but I am not attempting to insult you by doing so.

I would agree except, I would say it like this,"I'm all in favor of them dropping the requirement for a license thing altogether."

If they get rid of the license as it is now you could not carry in your car, legally.

DevinWKuska

SNIP...

I dunno about you but mine was laminated when they handed it to me at the LESA office after the fingerprinting.

Freedom1Man

I'll put this in "I'll worry about it in 3 years when I have to renew" file. By then there will probably be 3 or 4 more changes.

There is no law to ID yourself even when CC. The only thing you must provide is your CPL upon request.

I don't ever want to hand the police any picture ID if I don't have to. What you are proposing would make it a requirement.
It would also cause problems in other laws.

I can't find any law requiring me to have any state ID.

Levi

May I re-phrase that for you? I will any how but I am not attempting to insult you by doing so.

I would agree except, I would say it like this,"I'm all in favor of them dropping the requirement for a license thing altogether."

If they get rid of the license as it is now you could not carry in your car, legally.

That's what I meant. :)

amlevin

There is no law to ID yourself even when CC. The only thing you must provide is your CPL upon request.

I don't ever want to hand the police any picture ID if I don't have to. What you are proposing would make it a requirement.
It would also cause problems in other laws.

I can't find any law requiring me to have any state ID.

And what information is on your D/L that isn't also on your CPL? Just duplication. If you have to show your CPL it's got everything but your Pic on it.

As for requiring State ID, no law that you have to have it. However, have you ever flown lately? Try and get on a plane without a government issued "Picture ID". Some don't have cars and don't drive for whatever the reason. For those the State issues a State ID card.

My point was merely to stop the freaking duplication. DOL manages the CPL information and has all the D/L information as well. A simple addition of a code on one's D/L as an "endorsement" allowing for the carry of a concealed firearm, especially while in a motor vehicle, would be simple and save money.

DevinWKuska-

That's nice that they laminated yours for you. All mine have been mailed to me and are just paper that has to be folded and when laminated is usually just enough larger than the D/L it won't fit in the same pocket of my wallet.

decklin

I did the same thing. It still looks new. The permit I had from NH did not come laminated so I did it myself and it didn't hold up well.