• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Past the 8 weeks in Newtown...

Matt S

My wife and I turned in our application and we are at week 9 weeks as of Thursday May 10th. My wife called the PD today and was told there was a 16 week backlog at the FBI. When she said that we were supposed to receive a response in 8 weeks the PD said "Who told you that, there is a 16 week backlog at the FBI". What should we do next?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

rt1983

There is no backlog at FBI, there is a "backlog" at the dps, or they want you to believe that anyway... Call dps and ask for the dates of when your national background checks were sent out and when they were received, also file an appeal with the ct bfpe

Rich B

There should be no backlog anywhere, but it is easier to pretend there is a backlog than to issue permits on time.

Connecticut State Police
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457
Telephone: 860-685-8190

Contact the PD, get your dates and file your appeal. You are only concerned about your national criminal history background check and when that was received back at your PD.
You likely should have filed about 4 weeks ago, so make sure to get this going in a hurry.

The time limits involve 5 days and 1 week per CGS 29-29, the 8 week time limit largely cited is at best erroneous.

If you have any issues, info [at] ctcarry.com

Matt S

Rich,

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to be sure that your advice applied to getting my temporary permit through my local PD, which is where we are at in the process.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt S

the run around...

Called the number, got the run around and told to call another number. At the second number I got a machine that told me it was the place to file appeals. I left my number but no one called back. This is quite frustrating...

Rich B

Called the number, got the run around and told to call another number. At the second number I got a machine that told me it was the place to file appeals. I left my number but no one called back. This is quite frustrating...

If you are trying to get your dates, call that number and ask for 'records'. Ask them to look up the date your background check was sent to the PD and the date your fingerprints were sent to DESPP.

If you want to file an appeal, just do it. There is no one to call.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=254192&bfpeNav=|

Matt S

more delays...

So, I called the PD Special Licensing (860 685-8290) who told me they don't have the information and to call another number (860 256-2977) which is Board of Firearms Permit Examiners. At the second number I only got a voice mail (two calls in a row, yesterday and today). I left a message yesterday but haven't received a return call. I followed up with a call to my local PD who claimed that they received my state background check, but haven't gotten the FBI background check. In fact, I was told that the FBI sent out a letter saying there is a large backup and to expect 14-16 weeks turnaround. The person I talked to at the local PD told me she would see if she could do anything and call me back Wednesday or Thursday of next week. I am at 11 weeks & one day as of today...This seems rather ludicrous.

Matt

Rich B

The BFPE won't do anything for you. You need to call the main number I gave you and ask for 'records'. That is where others are finding success with.

SLFU and BFPE have nothing to do with the dates.

The PD is lying to you. The state and national background checks are returned at the same times, and the state is the one that had a 14-16 week backlog, although that is no longer the case and everything seems to be running on time.

If you are at 11 weeks, you are about 7 weeks overdue for an appeal.

Last edited:

Asterus

Founder's Club Member
I'm surprised at this thread. I received my original permit in Newtown and know people in the police department. The chief/department never had an issue in the past with processing permit applications and NFA transfer paperwork.

Matt S

I will try again.

Rich, Thanks for the additional info, I will try calling again and asking for "records".

Asterus - I'm glad you had an easy experience, but from my end it has seemed to be an eternal wait...No real answers, what seems to be the run around on reasons, endlessly getting handed of from one location to another...very frustrating.

Matt

Matt S

Progress!

Well, I talked to the BFPE (great information, helpful lady) who told me how to appeal. Great info, she told me that the FBI isn't backed up, it is a Connecticut issue. The good news is that after my call to the local PD we got our local permits today! Let's see how long it takes to get the state permit. In talking to to the PD and BFPE it could take a while (my friends at work waited as long as FOUR MONTHS!), but I will remain hopeful...

Anyone know the benefits/restrictions of the local vs. state permits? Can i buy firearms without the waiting period inside/outside my town, carry inside/outside of town, etc?

Thanks!

Rich B

Well, I talked to the BFPE (great information, helpful lady) who told me how to appeal. Great info, she told me that the FBI isn't backed up, it is a Connecticut issue. The good news is that after my call to the local PD we got our local permits today! Let's see how long it takes to get the state permit. In talking to to the PD and BFPE it could take a while (my friends at work waited as long as FOUR MONTHS!), but I will remain hopeful...

Anyone know the benefits/restrictions of the local vs. state permits? Can i buy firearms without the waiting period inside/outside my town, carry inside/outside of town, etc?

Thanks!

If the local issuing authority issued your temp permit, you should contact BFPE and let them know it is resolved. No further contact with BFPE is needed.

Take your temp permit to DESPP HQ and get your state permit. It should take 15 minutes to an hour depending on the line.

You need to go get your state permit, your local permit will expire in 60 days.

Act right away, if you have any questions: rich [at] ctcarry.com or 203.208.9577

brk913

Thanks!

What Rich just said!!! Get down to DPS and turn that temp into a 5 year today!!! You do not have a local permit, you have a temp state permit, you may carry and transport on the temp anywhere legal in CT but cannot purchase until you get your 5 year permit. That temp is only valid for 60 days so why wait. Takes all of 15 minutes inside DPS to take your picture, make sure you bring proof of citizenship (birth certificate) and $70 with you!!! Oh and Congrats!!!

Matt S

Journey complete

Well, good news today! My wife and I went to the State PD and left 15 minutes later with our permanent cards. Thanks for all the information, it really helped me along the way.

Also, the helpful lady from the BFPE coincidentally called me today to follow up on our last discussion. Talk about professional and on the job, what a great asset.
She shared in my happiness of getting my card today.

Thanks again!

Matt