• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Texas - How to conceal in warm weather?

MatieA

I am leaving Sunday to go to Arlington, Tx for a week. In Wyoming we do not have to conceal so if someone sees a pistol - no big deal. In Texas I know I have to completely conceal and am wondering how people do this without wearing extra layers of clothing in warm weather. I carry in a leather paddle holster OWB, which really isn't real conducive to conceal carry without a jacket. I wear my shirts tucked in - always, and normally wear a vest. My first trip to Texas I wore my Duster to conceal; it will be much warmer this trip ie. no Duster. My last trip I chose not to carry and left it in my pickup, but I would rather carry this time.

Any suggestions are welcome, even if they do not fit me personally. :)

VII

hmmu

Not to be a jerk, but it semms pretty self explanatory. You'll need to buy a concealable holster. Iwb and a t shirt?

MatieA

Not to be a jerk, but it semms pretty self explanatory. You'll need to buy a concealable holster. Iwb and a t shirt?

Really.
Ok, let me add something here. I am not looking to spend more money, and haven't found a shoulder holster I like yet. I wear western Long sleeve shirts (tucked in) western vest, Jeans, Boots and Hat. Am looking for suggestions on how to conceal while in Texas without spending too much of my "fun" money. If all else fails I guess the Duster will come back out.

rushcreek2

I'm in Arlington at the moment. Will be here for a couple of more weeks. If you are in and out of here before JUNE the heat may not be too bad. After June it will settle into the triple digits 100 - 110 degrees. This week it has been quite comfortably cool. That may last for another week or so.

To your question - I definitely agree that you are better off in Texas with an IWB holster.
Di Santis makes a relatively inexpensive (under $35 I believe) kydex IWB with attached extra mag pouch. Don't know where you could buy one off the shelf though. I'm sure you could find something that would work for you. That is my preferred holster in Texas. No retention though - other the squeeze between your skin & waist-band AND concealment provided by a fold & tuck of your shirt. I also only wear those breathe-thru synthetic golf shirts in Texas to minimize the sweat , but then you prefer western shirts.

If you really don't want to invest in another holster - wear a wind-breaker - NO LAW AGAINST IT even at 110 degrees. Good luck.

Where are you going to be while in Arlington ?

MatieA

I'm in Arlington at the moment. Will be here for a couple of more weeks. If you are in and out of here before JUNE the heat may not be too bad. After June it will settle into the triple digits 100 - 110 degrees. This week it has been quite comfortably cool. That may last for another week or so.

To your question - I definitely agree that you are better off in Texas with an IWB holster.
Di Santis makes a relatively inexpensive (under $35 I believe) kydex IWB with attached extra mag pouch. Don't know where you could buy one off the shelf though. I'm sure you could find something that would work for you. That is my preferred holster in Texas. No retention though - other the squeeze between your skin & waist-band AND concealment provided by a fold & tuck of your shirt. I also only wear those breathe-thru synthetic golf shirts in Texas to minimize the sweat , but then you prefer western shirts.

If you really don't want to invest in another holster - wear a wind-breaker - NO LAW AGAINST IT even at 110 degrees. Good luck.

Where are you going to be while in Arlington ?

hmm, I carry an XDm .40 4.5"bbl and have been told by those that conceal all the time that IWB would not be very comfortable with this size pistol. I will be spending most of my time on-campus at Arlington Baptist College, so obviously will not be carrying then, but will also be in town a bit. Definitely will be visiting the Justin outlet while there. I need to replace some boots that they no longer carry out here.

()pen(arry

I wear western Long sleeve shirts (tucked in) western vest, Jeans, Boots and Hat.

You're visiting a completely different climate. It is unreasonable to expect to be able to do so without adjusting your attire, especially when you add the requirement of being able to conceal a pistol.

Daily highs for next week in Dallas (essentially the same as Arlington), as predicted by weather.com:
Sunday: 78
Monday: 78
Tuesday: 81
Wednesday: 84
Thursday: 86
Friday: 87
Saturday: 88

If you want to wear a duster in full sunshine in high-80s weather (which is quite cool, for Texas; it could easily be in the mid-90s next week, as Texas weather is notoriously unpredictable), be prepared to lug a lot of water around with you to avoid heat stroke. Also be prepared for cops to wonder why you're walking around in a duster in high-80s weather in full sunshine.

rushcreek2

I carry my Glock 23 - which is about the same size as your XD40 -in my Desantis (Pro-stealth) kydex IWB. It is soft, flexible, and doesn't "sweat" = quite comfortable.

Another nice thing is that I can slip my S&W 642 "snubby" deep into it, or carry my GL21 in it as well .

That's covers a lot of carry options.

I just checked Cabela's website . That particular holster is in stock in North Ft Worth for $34.95 - as well as other IWB holsters in stock.

Last edited:

Jack House

Go to Walmart and pick up a genetic $10 IWB holster. I have a Blackhawk something or other. It's cheap, feels cheap, looks like crap, only has a button strap for retention and did I mention it's ugly?

I don't know how the XDm compares to the P99 in size and weight, but if you do that is what I carry. Doesn't bother me In the slightest. Just gotta find that sweat spot. Then again, I'm 6'4"and weight 300lbs. My opinion may be a bit skewed. :p

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

MatieA

I guess if I get an IWB holster, my vest would cover the rest. I will have to look into this.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

rushcreek2

You bet, I still have one of those vinyl "outdoorsy" open-range type utility vest that I used to wear over my "Wrangler" western *****. Yep - I really did for years & years. Now I'm more into "casual", and the "country club" look..............

Such a light vest will be tolerable in Texas, and pretty well deal with your concealment issue unless you encounter wind - which you will - and the snaps will take care of that.

MatieA

You're visiting a completely different climate. It is unreasonable to expect to be able to do so without adjusting your attire, especially when you add the requirement of being able to conceal a pistol.

Daily highs for next week in Dallas (essentially the same as Arlington), as predicted by weather.com:
Sunday: 78
Monday: 78
Tuesday: 81
Wednesday: 84
Thursday: 86
Friday: 87
Saturday: 88

If you want to wear a duster in full sunshine in high-80s weather (which is quite cool, for Texas; it could easily be in the mid-90s next week, as Texas weather is notoriously unpredictable), be prepared to lug a lot of water around with you to avoid heat stroke. Also be prepared for cops to wonder why you're walking around in a duster in high-80s weather in full sunshine.

Gee thanks for the warm weather forecast. Honestly though, that is a bit warmer than I was hoping for. I will not however be changing my style of dress for the climate, I will just have to deal with it. No duster though, unless it rains; I don't need heatstroke. I will be glad to get back to Wyoming after I conclude my business in Texas; it may be warm here (sometimes) but we have wind to help cool it a little :)

Thanks for the suggestions all, I got plenty of ideas from here and the other forums I frequent, so it looks as if I will be holster shopping when I drive into Cheyenne tomorrow.
For those that PM'ed, thank you also.

acmariner99

I was recently in Texas and I carry a full size XD 45. I too prefer to carry OWB. I didn't carry too often while I was there, but I did a couple of times with loose fitting shorts, belt, a t-shirt or polo, and a Dsantis Pro stealth IWB holster. I could carry in the small of my back or on my strong side without too much trouble - though the bulge might have caused a problem for me if I encountered an overzealous LEO. I would like to get either the new S&W M&P Shield or the Springfield XDS to fix my concealment needs.

Cowboy_Rick

I carry a .45 1911-A1 Micro-Compact or a 1911-A1, both are by Springfield. The Pistols are easily concealed by simply wearing an oversized T-shirt and I usually also wear a Jungle Fatigue Rip-stop shirt. In the 10 years of Concealed Carry in this state, I haven't had a problem out in public, at all. As for the holster-they are supplied by Springfield for those firearms. Pistol on one hip and mags on the other makes for a comfortable rig!

Last edited:

rushcreek2

Since I'm heading back to Colorado Springs Saturday morning, I thought maybe I'd kick up a little "dust" in my trail in the hope of livening up this Texas discussion a bit. The cobwebs are getting a bit thick.

Bouncing back & forth between Colorado and Texas so much I've necessarily had to study the handgun carry laws in both states. The one thing that seems to stand out is that both of the States' constitutions, and their respective statutes essentially say the same thing.

Both constitutions reserve the right to keep & bear arms for the purpose of self defense to every person/citizen - while taking exception to the practice of carrying CONCEALED deadly weapons.

The practice of carrying concealed deadly weapons is what "the wearing of arms" in the Article 2, Sec. 23 of the Texas Constitution is all about. I recognize that there are those who will strongly disagree with me on this point - but they are wrong. I've been wrong myself a couple of times during my life, but not on this one.

One further point. There is no statutory provision under Texas law that criminalizes "open carry". That is simply a presumption based upon the statutory restrictions placed upon the HABITUAL carry of a handgun in Texas.

A person who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun HABITUALLY, and is carrying a handgun HABITUALLY under the authority of that license is required to carry it "concealed" under Texas law. Repeating what I have already stated - there is no reference made whatsoever to "open carry" under Texas statutes- only that licensed carry must be "concealed". The presumption that "concealed carry", and "open carry" are the antithesis of one another is just that - a semantic presumption.

I have on numerous occasions both in Texas , and Colorado worn my holstered handgun "openly" in the sense that it was not hidden underneath my clothing - and yet it was in fact "concealed". The circumstances of my handgun carry may have been HABITUAL, or related to travel. In Colorado my CHP covers any possibility of confusion over the concept of "concealment". In Texas my "concealment" is subject to much greater scrutiny.

I suspect that my comments will stir up a hornet's nest of "Test case" shots across my bow. Whatever. Texans need to start getting their metabolism warmed up for the 2013 Legislative Session.

I've been living in & out of Texas for a long time now. The "art" of persuasion is in fact an art form. The "problem" in Texas is the same "problem" that is confronted in every other state. People don't like to be intimidated - much less threatened - by others whether it be via vehicle , attitude, or a holstered handgun on the hip. When you are "normal" - I.E. friendly, deferential, polite, cordial -you name it - people do not feel threatened.

Well, I'll leave it at that for now.

Last edited:

KBCraig

One further point. There is no statutory provision under Texas law that criminalizes "open carry". That is simply a presumption based upon the statutory restrictions placed upon the HABITUAL carry of a handgun in Texas.

I don't always agree with your conclusions, but I respect your analysis.

On this point, though, I have to point something out: Texas law, PC 46.02, criminalizes all carry of a handgun on or about one's person, then makes some exceptions, as you know.

Simply stating that there is no law specifically criminalizing open carry could give people the wrong idea.

I agree with you that 46.02 is in violation of the Constitution of 1876. The courts, sadly, do not agree.

rushcreek2

On this point, though, I have to point something out: Texas law, PC 46.02, criminalizes all carry of a handgun on or about one's person, then makes some exceptions, as you know.

Simply stating that there is no law specifically criminalizing open carry could give people the wrong idea.

I agree with you that 46.02 is in violation of the Constitution of 1876. The courts, sadly, do not agree.

KB - your reservations about my OPINION on the subject are warranted, and should be duly noted. Obviously nothing that I offer up should be relied upon by anyone else. I only offer up such "outside the box" observations to stimulate some thought.

I believe we have kind of conditioned ourselves to thinking "inside the box" a bit too much.

There are a variety of ways to "conceal" something. There are also a variety of ways to "reveal" something.

My "outside the box" definition of to intentionally CONCEAL anything - is to endeavor to HIDE either its existence, or presence from observation, or knowledge. The intentional DISPLAY of anything, OR THE PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT of its existence/presence would seem to be the logical antithesis of intentional CONCEALMENT. In other words a person need not intentionally DISPLAY their handgun in order to be guilty of intentional failure to conceal. A person can intentionally fail to conceal by by either announcing, or alluding to its presence.

There is an underlying presumption of the omitted term "concealed" in the offense of (habitual) handgun carry established by 46.02a (Moosani v Texas). Although Moosani lost his appeal, the case offers a sample of case law discussion pertaining to HABITUAL (46.02a) carry of a handgun, and at least ONE non-HABITUAL exception to 46.02a - the 46.15 "traveling" exception.

There is no underlying presumption of, or legal requirement to conceal a holstered handgun under the NON-HABITUAL (CHL NOT REQUIRED) exceptions to 46.02a application listed in 46.15.......HOWEVER.........

Having had my little say on this topic (once again).....

The average LEO in Texas is not going to be an expert on all of the little nuances of Texas law that I just touched upon.

Bottom line I suppose is - The wise Nanny " Ms. Prudence " would advise all to wait until Texas follows Oklahoma's lead and licensed OC/CC becomes the law in Texas in 2013 - rather than relying on LEO's to understand the law regarding 46.15 non-CHL exceptions to 46.02a.

Last edited:

hermannr

Obviously your 46.02 is an unconstitutional law don't you think? have you ever read the opinion of the Idaho Supreme court on this same subject? http://www.guncite.com/court/state/70p609.html

Very short, and it is a good argument...ID has unlicensed OC per their State constitution BTW:

Another court opinion you might want to think about is the one that says you cannot license a "right"...if you do it becomes a privilage instead of a "right"

rushcreek2

46.02a is most definitely unconstitutional at both the State, and federal level. Getting either the Texas courts , or the federal courts to so rule is the obstacle.

The Idaho decision cited is right on, but Texas has a little different history on the handgun issue. In the years following the adoption of the present 1876 Texas Connstitution State courts fully expected the Texas Legislature to "soon" address the criminalization of habitual handgun carry imposed under the disarmament Act of April 12, 1871 when Texas was under Reconstruction rule. Well.........136 years later..... Texans are still waiting.................

Texans will likely achieve licensed OC with CC in 2013, but that nagging distrust of the potential evils associated with handguns will only begin to abate when the general public is educated into accepting the sight of a holstered handgun associated with another law-abiding fellow citizen- as a GOOD thing for public safety.

This is true in every state. That's why it is SOOOOOOO important for each of us to endeavor to perfect our PERFORMANCE when out and about in the public square. We are the advertising agency responsible for marketing our "product" to the "consumers".

Pleasing product packaging, and display combined with good timing, tempo, and delivery of the message in a clear, and simple fashion is what "sells" any product.

I love my Glocks - but have you noticed whenever the lame-stream media presents a crime story they like to show the little picture of a Glock on the screen ? Very powerful subliminal message that conditions the public to have a negative emotional reaction to a Glock, or Glock look- alike. That's one reason that I keep eyeing that pretty little Colt Defender at the gun store.

Last edited: