Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Got me My First G19, Any Tips or Tricks?

  1. #1
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285

    Got me My First G19, Any Tips or Tricks?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-10_00-13-33_507.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	8434
    {The pic does not do the beautiful Sidearm justice, looks like its time for a phone upgrade lol}

    Just bought my first Glock 19 9MM, before everyone starts with the 9MM bashing i feel comfortable using it and am accurate with it and thats why i use and carry a 9mm among a few other reasons. That being said anyone have a G19 that has and tips and or tricks about it? or a favorite type of ammo for them, but im sure that depends on the company your addicted to. Ive shot a few different glocks and i really like the new Gen 4 G19 so i picked one up, Ive heard the good and bad about them, the failure to ejects and whatnot. i bought it a little late in the day so wasn't able to go out and fire it but tomorrow nothing can keep me from the range! just wondering about any personal feedback or story's about them. thanks for your time.

    Semper Fi
    ~Wolf~

  2. #2
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneEchoWolf View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-10_00-13-33_507.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	8434
    before everyone starts with the 9MM bashing i feel comfortable using it ~Wolf~
    Howdy Pard!
    I haven't any experience with any Glocks, but have noticed that folks either love 'em or hate 'em. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground for some reason. I personally wouldn't put much stock in putting forth an opinion until I've actually tried one, so I'll let that part go.

    The 9mm, as far as bashing is concerned, I won't do that either. While I prefer a .40 cal, that's just my individual preference.
    There was a time when almost every law enforcement agency in America relied on the 9mm. Then along came the .40 and all of a sudden, there was a change in attitude about the 9'er. Terrific.

    At the risk of sounding strange, I don't think size matter so much as product placement.

    In a life and death situation, it is much less important how big the round is than whether you can place that round where it will stop a threat.
    That's the bottom line. Can you place the round where it needs to go in order to stop a threat? If the answer is yes, then you've got a round that will do the job for you. Even a .22 or .380 will do the job, assuming you can deliver the product with accuracy.

    So enjoy your 9'er. Work with it, and forget what anybody may say about it being an inferior round.

    Carry on!
    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    There was a time when almost every law enforcement agency in America relied on the 9mm.
    Oh, come now. Most of the people in here are well old enough to remember when .38sp was the cal o' choice for LEOs.

  4. #4
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Ha ha ya i know some sheriff that still carry themselves a Service revolver around here, as you said its all about knowing how to accurately deliver a round to where it needs to be. as long as your confident you can defend yourself and family you could be throwing a derringer at em and it most likely would do the job. I almost expected to log on and see a bunch of 9mm haters telling me i need to upgrade its a nice change to not get that kinda junk. But ya I'm not sure why exactly theres no middle ground on the Glock company and firearms its either love or hate them, in my opinion its a nice firearm, easy cleaning and repairs, lightweight and love the recoil on it, but in all honesty its a hundred times better than my first sidearm which was a C9 highpoint because of the cost, you get what you pay for. Maybe sometime when I'm in Your neck of the woods or your in mine M-Taliesin we can go out and you can try out the G19 and let me know what you think compared to your 40, although a 9mm is no comparison to a 40. at least you can say you have fired one and can start a base experience with a glock so you can tell people what you think. Thanks for your time!

    Semper-Fi!
    ~Wolf~

  5. #5
    Regular Member JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneEchoWolf View Post
    ... just wondering about any personal feedback or story's about them. thanks for your time.

    Semper Fi
    ~Wolf~
    I carried a G19 for about four years. I got noting bad to say. I had it untill i tried one chambered in .40 and was hooked.

    That being said, I loved my Glock 19. I carried either IQ ammo from Aguilla, or HydraShok.
    The one BIG point of advice I have for it, is to invest in night sights. Everything else worked great from the factory for me, but I personally believe it is almost an actionable liability to not have night sights on your primary carry piece.

    Enjoy the new toy.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    7
    I got a g17 gen 4 and its a great gun. I guess my only advice would be put a couple 100 through it before you start carrying it just to make sure it functions good. Also make sure you have glasses on when you shoot it because my 17 seems to like to kick brass onto my head about 2% of the time. Not a big deal really since its a range only gun in my case. I started carrying my sig p220 a few months ago but it seems I have gone back to the H&K USPc 40 when I OC. I dont hate on 9mm and I 100% agree its more about where u put the projectile vs size. Also if it were me I would test the gun with your carry ammo before carrying it. I like hyrdoshocks btw. My guess is none of this is real news to you but figured I would put it out there.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    184
    The failure to eject problem with the 9mm Gen4s was due to them using the same spring for 9mm as for .40. Problem was, weaker ammo plinking ammo would not be able to cycle some of the pistols reliably. Unless you've got old stock, that's probably been sorted out by now. If you do have problems, call Glock!

    My only three points of advice are: get a good holster and get to practicing, and have fun! Congrats.

  8. #8
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Was able to get out to the range finally today ran around 200 rounds through the Glock 19, Ive noticed that and its been said before but if you hold the Glock sort of slack handed instead of very firm that it wants to not eject the rounds quickly enough for the slide, really she just wants to be held tightly ha ha. not one problem when i was operating the sidearm correctly once i slacked on it she didn't want to fire smoothly. I tried it with two different ammo types, Federal Champion which Glock is notorious for failing to eject and the winchester white box, both had the same problem both 115 grain, don't know if it helps out but anyone that hasn't done there research on a Glock thats what Ive found helps just hold em a bit tighter than normal, it can feel your touch. other than that fired awesomely just as i expect of a Glock only one ejection back wards hitting my chest so i see what you mean by the Gen 4 liking to hit you with hot shells but alls fair, i think its due to the lighter weight it flings them like a small stone. minor note i do have a Gen 4 spring which as far as I'm aware is still the 40. spring unless they changed it and didn't say anything about it? Got me a good Serpa OC holster Ive used since i started OC'ing and carry Federal Hydroshok as my PD rounds. looks like i can now carry my G19 with confidence that it will do what i need it to, always nice to get out to the range and put any fears of it not working right to rest. Small question about the Night sights, did you go with the Stock Glock night sights or do you suggest another one? i know there are quite a few out there that Glock will install if you request, just looking for your personal opinions on which function the best with the sidearm. Thanks all for your advice its all helpful for sure, and thanks for your time!

    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    184
    Old spring should say something like: 0-1-2, the new one should say 0-4-3

    The old one doesn't get along well with 115gr Federal...that's well noted, and is probably responsible for the pistol chucking cases at you.

    If you've got the old one: http://us.glock.com/customer-service...pring-exchange

  10. #10
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by CO-Joe View Post
    Old spring should say something like: 0-1-2, the new one should say 0-4-3

    The old one doesn't get along well with 115gr Federal...that's well noted, and is probably responsible for the pistol chucking cases at you.

    If you've got the old one: http://us.glock.com/customer-service...pring-exchange

    Yep mines the 0-4-3 verison looks like its the new one thanks for the heads up though really appreciate it. and thank you all for your time, if anything else comes to mind everything is helpful!

    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~

  11. #11
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Quick question for Glock owners, Ive heard the "horror stories" of Glock accidental firings, i call it that because no matter what you have to pull the trigger for it to accidentally fire. but how comfortable are you with one in the chamber all the time while carrying? are you worried that somehow some way the trigger will get pulled while holstered or whatever and fire accidentally, obviously if your a smart logical person theres always that worry that something like that will happen no matter what type, but does the Glock safety measures make it worse than normal? Ive looked but if theres already a thread addressing this could you all point me in the right direction? Thanks again for your time!

    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~

    Edit: Imagine that right after posting i find a alright thread addressing this, haha sorry bout that people. if anyone has any imput though more than welcome!
    Last edited by LoneEchoWolf; 05-13-2012 at 04:51 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneEchoWolf View Post
    Quick question for Glock owners, Ive heard the "horror stories" of Glock accidental firings, i call it that because no matter what you have to pull the trigger for it to accidentally fire. but how comfortable are you with one in the chamber all the time while carrying? are you worried that somehow some way the trigger will get pulled while holstered or whatever and fire accidentally, obviously if your a smart logical person theres always that worry that something like that will happen no matter what type, but does the Glock safety measures make it worse than normal? Ive looked but if theres already a thread addressing this could you all point me in the right direction? Thanks again for your time!

    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~

    Edit: Imagine that right after posting i find a alright thread addressing this, haha sorry bout that people. if anyone has any imput though more than welcome!
    I've heard the stories.

    I think there is a story about some guy doing something dumb with every inanimate object you can think of.
    I think the three internal safeties in a Glock are quite sufficient.
    I think a safety is still a mechanical device and it can fail.
    I think you should pay attention to the four laws of safe gun handling (which do not mention mechanical safeties).

    I carry chambered every day in my Glock.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    640
    1) Treat every gun as if it is loaded, always.

    2) Never point a gun at anything you do not want to kill or destroy.

    3) Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

    4) Know your target and what is behind it.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.cogunowners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://xisnexis.com/hottopics/Colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  14. #14
    Regular Member wmodavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    109
    Practice. That's what I'm doing. After I've done 1-4 that Beau mentioned I'll repeat.

    Bill
    Last edited by wmodavis; 05-13-2012 at 08:51 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    1) Treat every gun as if it is loaded, always.

    2) Never point a gun at anything you do not want to kill or destroy.

    3) Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

    4) Know your target and what is behind it.
    well of course anyone thats carrying i hope knows all the commandments of handguns or weapons in the first place. and of course things can happen, weirder things have happened and will happen. just when so many people call glocks the most unsafe weapon out there kinda starts wearing on ya after a while. when really any weapon in the hands of the not so smart is the most unsafe. Ive always been a Glock fan. i just wanted some input. thanks for the help. In my opinion most of the Glock "accidents" i attribute to lack of knowledge, lack of logic, or lack of safe weapon handling, but stuff happens. Thanks for your time.

    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~

  16. #16
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneEchoWolf View Post
    well of course anyone thats carrying i hope knows all the commandments of handguns or weapons in the first place. and of course things can happen, weirder things have happened and will happen. just when so many people call glocks the most unsafe weapon out there kinda starts wearing on ya after a while. when really any weapon in the hands of the not so smart is the most unsafe. Ive always been a Glock fan. i just wanted some input. thanks for the help. In my opinion most of the Glock "accidents" i attribute to lack of knowledge, lack of logic, or lack of safe weapon handling, but stuff happens. Thanks for your time.

    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~
    Well not everyone knows the "4" and you did ask for tips. Figured I would throw them out there for the benefit of all.

    I too carry a Glock. My G21 has been my primary carry since 2001. Safety truly is what you do more so than what features the firearm you carry has.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.cogunowners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://xisnexis.com/hottopics/Colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  17. #17
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Well not everyone knows the "4" and you did ask for tips. Figured I would throw them out there for the benefit of all.

    I too carry a Glock. My G21 has been my primary carry since 2001. Safety truly is what you do more so than what features the firearm you carry has.
    Thanks for throwing em out there for sure its helpful as a refresher to always see it too. burns it back into your brain somewhat. About safety being what you do more than the features thats spot on i cannot agree or couldnt word that better what so ever. thanks for shareing.

    a little off topic but really no its not, i was talking to a law friend, hes going to school for firearms laws mainly and he was talking about if and god hopes it never comes to it, but if you end up being forced to self defend when and if you end up in court that jury looks badly on Glock safety's or any safety like the Glock for that matter and it looks better the more safety's you have for your weapon. i searched every case i could and couldn't find any proof what so ever that the safety helped in any case aside from the cases where a firearms safety was modified after market I.E. a taped safety to keep it in the off position. in them cases of course it affected badly on them that they had a modified handgun in that manner. if anyone can find any information or proof that Glock safety's cause more problems in court than others please do share!

    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~

  18. #18
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneEchoWolf View Post
    Thanks for throwing em out there for sure its helpful as a refresher to always see it too. burns it back into your brain somewhat. About safety being what you do more than the features thats spot on i cannot agree or couldnt word that better what so ever. thanks for shareing.

    a little off topic but really no its not, i was talking to a law friend, hes going to school for firearms laws mainly and he was talking about if and god hopes it never comes to it, but if you end up being forced to self defend when and if you end up in court that jury looks badly on Glock safety's or any safety like the Glock for that matter and it looks better the more safety's you have for your weapon. i searched every case i could and couldn't find any proof what so ever that the safety helped in any case aside from the cases where a firearms safety was modified after market I.E. a taped safety to keep it in the off position. in them cases of course it affected badly on them that they had a modified handgun in that manner. if anyone can find any information or proof that Glock safety's cause more problems in court than others please do share!

    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~
    WOW!!!!!!!!

    That is truly one of the more, er, illogical statements I've heard. Let me get this straight.

    He thinks that if you have to shoot a person in self defense it will look bad on you if you didn't have to take extra steps to fire your weapon in order to defend yourself????? I have never heard this one before.

    That is even sillier than the whole "don't use hollow points because it makes it look like you are bloodthirsty and just want to kill people" argument.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.cogunowners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://xisnexis.com/hottopics/Colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  19. #19
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!

    That is truly one of the more, er, illogical statements I've heard. Let me get this straight.

    He thinks that if you have to shoot a person in self defense it will look bad on you if you didn't have to take extra steps to fire your weapon in order to defend yourself????? I have never heard this one before.

    That is even sillier than the whole "don't use hollow points because it makes it look like you are bloodthirsty and just want to kill people" argument.
    ha ha Ive also heard the hollow point argument and that ones a complete joke also. but yes his theory is that lets say a Glock safety Vs. a umm Highpoint safety which if your not familiar is a full safety which also locks into the slide making it so the slide wont move either, hes saying that since the clock has "less" safety mechanisms then the highpoint that it would look worse because "your blood thirsty enough" to not take further steps to make your handgun "more" safe. thus why a company.. I'm forgetting the name of it right now but they made a "standard" safety that they will put on the Glock to make it "more" safe if you pay them to do it of course. i find it just as much of a joke as the old hollow point theory personally.


    ~Wolf~

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneEchoWolf View Post
    *snip* it looks better the more safety's you have for your weapon.
    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~
    I don't think that's true at all, if you hit the person/thing you intend to shoot in a defensive situation. Any competent lawyer will be able to point to the generations of LEOs who carried weapons without any external safeties--from revolvers to double-action semi-auto pistols, to Glock-style hybrid single actions, there's probably been hundreds of thousands of officers who have carried a firearm with no external safety.

    Now, if you disobey the 4 rules, and have an ND and either you or someone else gets hurt--all bets are off. For what it's worth, a great deal of the incidents with Glock over the years have been by professional officers disobeying rule 3 while re-holstering, or by disobeying rule 1 and horsing around.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •