• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - Legislative wrap up

Rich B

Midnight last night marked the end of this legislative session.

Here is how we fared:

SB 64

A bill that would have lowered the allowable BAC while carrying a loaded firearm.

Position: Opposed.

SB 196

A bill that eliminates the redundant bound book requirement for FFLs.

Position: Supported.

HB 5245

An ill-conceived but well-intentioned bill that sought to establish an explicit criteria for a pistol permit application. Unfortunately, it also changed the requirements to mandate fingerprinting which is not a requirement currently.

Position: Opposed (support withdrawn).

HB 5220

A truly terrible piece of potential legislation that sought to ban air guns, toy guns, air soft guns, etc from all private and public property within 1500 ft of school properties. This bill was fought heavily against by Connecticut Carry, and is still being investigated. Stay tuned for some interesting developments on this bill and the shenanigans behind the scenes.

HB 5550

To provide federal probation officers with access to the state firearm database to determine whether persons serving a period of federal probation possess a permit to carry a firearm.

Overall, I would say we had pretty good fortune this legislative session. We avoided some landmines that would have impacted our rights and our permitting process. We must stay vigilant. There was a lot that could have gone very wrong this session. Next session could be worse.

As always our session information can be found here: http://ctcarry.com/Legislative/Session2012

Freiheit417

CT legislative process overview

I just wanted to provide this link which outlines the legislative process in CT for those that are just getting into 2A advocacy >> www.cga.ct.gov/html/bill.pdf

Also, here's a great link for keeping up with the status of bills>> http://www.cga.ct.gov If you create an account under "Bill Tracking" and add the bills you're interested in, you can even receive emails every time a bill status changes.

Keep them handy and be prepared for the next session!

Rich B

I just wanted to provide this link which outlines the legislative process in CT for those that are just getting into 2A advocacy >> www.cga.ct.gov/html/bill.pdf

Also, here's a great link for keeping up with the status of bills>> http://www.cga.ct.gov If you create an account under "Bill Tracking" and add the bills you're interested in, you can even receive emails every time a bill status changes.

Keep them handy and be prepared for the next session!

Very handy links indeed. That is how we do most of what we do.