• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Anonymous...

Beretta92FSLady

There are some interesting comments. We all have a tendency to be arm-chair quarter-backs. Be safe out there people!

May 8, 2012 Columns
[h=2]I, Anonymous[/h] [h=1]Pulling the Trigger[/h] by Anonymous

It was three years ago today that we just happened to take the same bus, and a short time later, I shot you in the chest. I was with my family, taking a bus ride to the library, thinking about Chocolati dark chocolate truffles, and you were with a friend. My family and I got off the bus because you were being a jerk to us—whether it was because we are female, because we are lesbian, because we are nothing more than a family of fags to you, the "why" really doesn't matter. I thought you stayed on the bus. But I heard you scream "bitch" as I stood at a stoplight, and so I turned around, and you were running toward me. I warned you that I was armed, and you didn't want to listen. I remember the muffled sound of my gun going off and your shoulders curling in from the impact. I remember us looking at each other and your face shifting from rage to utter fear as you struggled to draw in a breath but couldn't. You went down to the ground so slowly, and we kept eye contact the whole time. The ambulance whisked you away to Harborview, and I was whisked away in a police cruiser. I sat in isolation all weekend, alone, hoping my wife and kids were safe, hoping that you were not dead. Before court on Monday morning, the woman in the cell next to me told me that the news had just stated you were alive. I took a deep breath then cried—I was relieved and thankful that you survived. Please, stop attacking females. Meeting you changed me. Did it change you? I hope. Be safe, be well, cherish life—I will do the same.
—Anonymous
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=13598912&mode=print

MamaLiberty

The story here lacks any detail that would indicate the man she shot was actually a lethal threat. Calling her names and following her are not a lethal threat, of course. Not saying he was not truly threatening, of course, but we don' know that from the story.

Frankly, this does NOT sound like something that would be written by anyone who had actually faced imminent death or great bodily harm. It does not sound like something written by a woman who carries to defend herself and her family. It sounds to me like a very subtle anti-self defense ploy.

I had to shoot a man to save my life. I am glad he didn't die, but if he had I would not waste a moment of my life agonizing over it or apologizing for it. He made the choice to attack me. The consequences are totally on his own head.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have to get over this BS idea that we must apologize for living, or for defending ourselves. I, for one, refuse to be sucked in to that false guilt.

Beretta92FSLady

The story here lacks any detail that would indicate the man she shot was actually a lethal threat. Calling her names and following her are not a lethal threat, of course. Not saying he was not truly threatening, of course, but we don' know that from the story.

Frankly, this does NOT sound like something that would be written by anyone who had actually faced imminent death or great bodily harm. It does not sound like something written by a woman who carries to defend herself and her family. It sounds to me like a very subtle anti-self defense ploy.

I had to shoot a man to save my life. I am glad he didn't die, but if he had I would not waste a moment of my life agonizing over it or apologizing for it. He made the choice to attack me. The consequences are totally on his own head.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have to get over this BS idea that we must apologize for living, or for defending ourselves. I, for one, refuse to be sucked in to that false guilt.

I agree, the person who wrote it likely didn't actually have this happen to them, and the attacker wasn't likely a threat...that is, if this even happened. You know the lame-stream media, and how they try to spin things.

You are right, swearing at someone is not legal grounds to shoot. Apparently he was running at her, and her family even after she declared she was armed; that can lead a reasonable person to believe they are under attack, and the threat is real--but like I stated, this so-called I Anonymous is likely fake.

I should mention that the I Anonymous seems to not be apologizing for shooting the individual.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

*applause*
Well said, MamaLiberty!!!

Beretta92FSLady, isn't this virtually the same sort of encounter you had? I don't remember the exact details of your defensive shooting, but when I read this I believed you were the one that wrote it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Beretta92FSLady

*applause*
Well said, MamaLiberty!!!

Beretta92FSLady, isn't this virtually the same sort of encounter you had? I don't remember the exact details of your defensive shooting, but when I read this I believed you were the one that wrote it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's funny, I sent this thing into The Stranger, and they actually posted it.

It probably came off as me belly-aching about the past, but I wasn't. Just a reflective moment. A shooting does change a person, and no matter how Right you were, violence is a terrible thing to inflict on another person. Personally, IMO, only a sociopath would not be bothered one bit by shooting another human being.

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

I should mention that the I Anonymous seems to not be apologizing for shooting the individual.

Everyone has their own perceptions, of course. :) I have read SO much anti-gun and anti-self defense crap that I see it in a lot of things most folks wouldn't consider to be apologetic as seriously so... and the more subtle it is, the worse it is because people are influenced by it without consciously thinking about the implications or questioning it. Doesn't mean I'm always right, but I tend to err on that side because it is so prevalent in the mainstream media.

If you are interested, this is the story of the man I had to shoot... http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/08/09/22/editor.htm

OC for ME

It probably came off as me belly-aching about the past, but I wasn't. Just a reflective moment. A shooting does change a person, and no matter how Right you were, violence is a terrible thing to inflict on another person. Personally, IMO, only a sociopath would not be bothered one bit by shooting another human being.
....define 'bothered'....

Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot! - Harry Callahan

Beretta92FSLady

Everyone has their own perceptions, of course. :) I have read SO much anti-gun and anti-self defense crap that I see it in a lot of things most folks wouldn't consider to be apologetic as seriously so... and the more subtle it is, the worse it is because people are influenced by it without consciously thinking about the implications or questioning it. Doesn't mean I'm always right, but I tend to err on that side because it is so prevalent in the mainstream media.

If you are interested, this is the story of the man I had to shoot... http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/08/09/22/editor.htm

I like how you acknowledge mistakes made on your part. We always have plenty of time to sit back, after the fact, and think about what we ought to not have done. I got into a vicious cycle of it, and eventually had to work my way away from it. Shooting someone is a huge learning experience, IMO.

I am happy to read you followed through. Personally, my life flashed before my eyes when I pulled the trigger; there are so many ramifications that follow pulling the trigger--one could be imprisonment, even if you were in the right.

The mainstream media is a pain in the rump, that's for sure! FOX news irritates me, but MSNBC takes the cake, especially after the Zimmerman incident.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

....define 'bothered'....

LOL. I love ya!

Let's see here: at a minimum, find it an unfortunate thing that in order to save yourself, and your family from danger (death, grave bodily harm, etc.) you have to use whatever degree of violent means to subdue the threat.

I can put myself in other people shoes, and I could see how terrible it would be to be shot. I used to have dreams about me being shot, and not him. I think it was just my mind trying to sort through the encounter.

Ruby

Beretta Lady, I remember this; I had just started shooting in January of that year. How right you are that violence is a terrible thing to inflict on another human being. It's also a terrrible thing to be the recipient of that violence. I believe most criminals ARE sociopaths; they have no regard for the rest of humanity, only what they want. Part of carrying a weapon is the acceptance that you may have to use it one day to save your life or the life of a loved one. I am like everyone else in that I hope and pray I never have to use it. This will stay with you the rest of your life; I wish you peace.

MamaLiberty

A shooting does change a person, and no matter how Right you were, violence is a terrible thing to inflict on another person. Personally, IMO, only a sociopath would not be bothered one bit by shooting another human being.

Yes indeed, having to shoot does change a person. My story reflects that change pretty well, I think. The change in me was to really recognize that predators do exist and that I needed to be prepared to defend myself. I wasn't before, really, and the fact that I did survive is pretty much a miracle. The sad thing is that it took me almost 30 years after the incident to do anything meaningful about that!!!

But that change should not be false guilt or reluctance to defend oneself later, by any means. I hope he hurt, and hurt bad for a long time (though he likely didn't) - hopefully learning that attacking people is not a productive use for his life, and maybe helping him see that his life did have value after all.

The thing far too many people don't seem to have considered is the fact that the attacker, the aggressor, obviously does not value human life - even his/her own! I don't see any reason I should mourn or suffer because I DO value life, and value it enough to defend myself and others from the predator. The attacker inflicted the violence on ME, not the other way around. All he had to do was walk away and nothing else would have happened. His choice, not mine.

Beretta92FSLady

Yes indeed, having to shoot does change a person. My story reflects that change pretty well, I think. The change in me was to really recognize that predators do exist and that I needed to be prepared to defend myself. I wasn't before, really, and the fact that I did survive is pretty much a miracle. The sad thing is that it took me almost 30 years after the incident to do anything meaningful about that!!!

But that change should not be false guilt or reluctance to defend oneself later, by any means. I hope he hurt, and hurt bad for a long time (though he likely didn't) - hopefully learning that attacking people is not a productive use for his life, and maybe helping him see that his life did have value after all.

The thing far too many people don't seem to have considered is the fact that the attacker, the aggressor, obviously does not value human life - even his/her own! I don't see any reason I should mourn or suffer because I DO value life, and value it enough to defend myself and others from the predator. The attacker inflicted the violence on ME, not the other way around. All he had to do was walk away and nothing else would have happened. His choice, not mine.

When you draw-down on someone, hesitation can kill you. I do not condone a person hesitating because they might feel guilty about hurting another person; you do what you have to do to survive.

I always said that the only individual in the matter who had a choice of where it would go was the man who attacked me. He chose to get shot, I gave him ample warning. But that doesn't take away from the fact that he is a human being, and I hate hurting individuals.

I put everything on the attacker, as you do. They choose how deadly their encounter with us is going to be.

OC for ME

LOL. I love ya!

Let's see here: at a minimum, find it an unfortunate thing that in order to save yourself, and your family from danger (death, grave bodily harm, etc.) you have to use whatever degree of violent means to subdue the threat.

I can put myself in other people shoes, and I could see how terrible it would be to be shot. I used to have dreams about me being shot, and not him. I think it was just my mind trying to sort through the encounter.
fair enough....

What bothers me is that some dumbazz is gunna force me to encounter some cop or bureaucrat that just don't like guns....that is what bothers me.

And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM

MamaLiberty

When you draw-down on someone, hesitation can kill you. I do not condone a person hesitating because they might feel guilty about hurting another person; you do what you have to do to survive.

Exactly. But this false guilt thing about "violence" on the attacker is exactly what the anti-self defense people use to cloud the issue. The very question of guilt for "hurting another person" can so easily make someone hesitate that fateful second. In order to effectively and successfully defend ourselves against the true sociopathic predator is to overcome that false guilt ahead of time so that we CAN do what we have to do to survive. We don't have time to ponder it during an attack. That's were training and conditioning are so vital. We have to have made up our minds to live and do "whatever it takes" ahead of time... and do it automatically.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that he is a human being, and I hate hurting individuals.

Admirable idea in lots of ways, but this can so easily be manipulated and turned against us. Personally, I don't hold every member of the so-called "human race" as a sapient being. We are known by our fruits, and the fruit of evil is death. The only question in this sort of situation is who will suffer the death. I'd rather it not be me or any other innocent person.

MamaLiberty

fair enough....

What bothers me is that some dumbazz is gunna force me to encounter some cop or bureaucrat that just don't like guns....that is what bothers me.

That, of course, is more a matter of where you are. Where I live, we don't have "cops," just peace officers, and the likely outcome of a self defense shooting would be an "atta girl" and not a hassle - unless I did something really, really stupid. Just about everybody here LOVES guns... and they have no problem with self defense. :) The dumbasses seem to have that figured out too... we have almost zero real crime of any sort.

A "crime wave" in our county is a gas drive off and a mutual combat bar fight in the same week. :)

TechnoWeenie

Personally, IMO, only a sociopath would not be bothered one bit by shooting another human being.

Some people are raised differently, or have experienced so much in their past that they're cold to the world.

I could honestly tell you, that if I was forced to make a decision to shoot an attacker to save my life, I would have no problem sitting back down to finish the sandwich I was eating after I dealt with the formalities.

Beretta92FSLady

Some people are raised differently, or have experienced so much in their past that they're cold to the world.

I could honestly tell you, that if I was forced to make a decision to shoot an attacker to save my life, I would have no problem sitting back down to finish the sandwich I was eating after I dealt with the formalities.

I have to admit that if it was a Jersey Mike's subway sandwich, I would sit down, and finish it off as well; just in case anyhow, because if you do get arrested, you want to eat as little jail food while your in there waiting to let the judge release you.

MamaLiberty

Not necessarily a matter of being "cold to the world." I spent 30 years as a nurse, the last 14 as an APN in hospice. Believe me, I was not "cold." I cried each time we lost a patient.

There is simply a world of difference between caring about ordinary, innocent people and getting emotional about having to "harm" criminals. Not even close in my book.

There ARE psychological and physical reactions to such violence, regardless of the situation. I'm not at all saying there should not be or that anyone should be "cold" to the prospect of taking a life - not by any means. I'm merely saying that those who want to destroy our right to defend ourselves can and DO use those feelings or the fear of those feelings to discourage us. They promote a FALSE guilt by manipulating our normal, rational reluctance to kill. We just have to be aware of that and think this out logically and clearly. We may come to some different conclusions, of course, but I hope each one will be able to act in their own interest without hesitation if, God forbid, the time ever comes.

Remember always that the whole purpose of self defense, of pulling that trigger, is NOT to "kill." The whole purpose is to STOP THE ATTACK. If the predator dies as a result of that attack, we have no guilt. Try to look at it that way if you don't already. It could make all the difference in the world.