• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Sat 9:30 AM 5/12/12 - River City Diner Parham Rd & I-95

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Sat 9:30 AM 5/12/12 - River City Diner Parham Rd & I-95

T-Dubya will be bringing the family with him to distract you all while he talks you into bringing the caviar for the OCDO picnic. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...cookout-in-a-state-park&p=1751419#post1751419

We may also plan carpools for the Jimmy John's lunch, recount last week's defeat of Chesterfield's second string finest, and solve any of the problems of the world that are worthy of our attention.

We'll probably be in the big room (to your left as you enter) so do not look for us sitting in the window.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Breakfasts, lunches and dinners + picnics. :banana:

I might even gain a pound or two and learn something new along the way.
Now if I can only remember to...........

..........errrrr, what were we talking about?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll miss you all. Zeus will have sufficiently recovered from his fight with the Copperhead (Which necessitated an early morning return from the farm after we got back from Tuesdays dinner) by tomorrow and I have a LOT of work to catch up on.

See you all on Tuesday!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'll miss you all. Zeus will have sufficiently recovered from his fight with the Copperhead (Which necessitated an early morning return from the farm after we got back from Tuesdays dinner) by tomorrow and I have a LOT of work to catch up on.

See you all on Tuesday!

You will be missed.

Hope Zeus won the fight. Might be time to teach him how to use a long-handled shovel on copperheads (legged and legless kinds).

stay safe.

Tanner

Hello. My name is Tanner. Im still green when it comes to OC and would love to have a chance to meet some like minded people. The internet is great for reserch but nothing beats a real conversation. At a glance it looks like you guys have been doing this for a while. What do you think about newbies? I have a lot of questions but would feel kind of awkward walking up to a bunch of people with guns fireing off questions.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Hello. My name is Tanner. Im still green when it comes to OC and would love to have a chance to meet some like minded people. The internet is great for reserch but nothing beats a real conversation. At a glance it looks like you guys have been doing this for a while. What do you think about newbies? I have a lot of questions but would feel kind of awkward walking up to a bunch of people with guns fireing off questions.

First thing we do to newbies is have them find a water/cell tower to climb. Then we'll talk. Meet us at River City and ask for Paul. Ask him which tower for you to climb.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hello. My name is Tanner. Im still green when it comes to OC and would love to have a chance to meet sunce hat on!ome like minded people. The internet is great for reserch but nothing beats a real conversation. At a glance it looks like you guys have been doing this for a while. What do you think about newbies? I have a lot of questions but would feel kind of awkward walking up to a bunch of people with guns fireing off questions.

Don't wear a Glock or you'll have to sit in the corner with a Dunce hat on!:eek:

dunce_cap.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
im to fat to climb anything but into bed.....responce? and i have a Auto Ordinance 1911.

A 1911 you say? You have already demonstrated a superior level of intelligence then. Welcome to the club - overweight gives you extra bonus points and allows for questions that have not been pre-submitted in writing. :lol:

Come on down - you'll enjoy the group. You have had your shots, right?

BTW - there are no stupid or silly questions. All deserve and will receive responsible answers.

Tanner

Even with my limited knowledge I would have to agree. The 1911 has been the reason I have become a fan of guns. I like to clean it as much as I like shooting it......Kinda. I think I will show up and crash the party. But hope I wont be made to climb anything.
Since I see there are some people paying attention maby I could get somekind of explanation to a question.
Reading post I see people are OCing at places like walmart and krogers. From what I understand it is unlawful to carry at any place with any kind of a liquor license. How are these people doing this?

Last edited:

mk4

Since I see there are some people paying attention maby I could get somekind of explanation to a question.
Reading post I see people are OCing at places like walmart and krogers. From what I understand it is unlawful to carry at any place with any kind of a liquor license. How are these people doing this?

Not unlawful at all, in VA. Carry on! :)

Last edited:

scouser

Speaking from recent experience, you'll be made to feel very welcomed, yet an outsider to some of the inside jokes the long time attendees share. All said, it's a great bunch of people who meet on a Saturday morning.

If you can't spot the group just ask the staff where the 'gun guys' are, they'll know exactly who you're talking about.

Is Courtney back from her illness? Was really weird having to ask for a coffee refill last time. Logan & I will be in attendance. His mom will be over on Southside helping a friend with her yard sale and this is my last free Saturday, new job (yes, I took the huge pay increase I was offered) training starts on Tuesday, got about 2 months training on a Tues - Sat dayshift before I start my weekend shift I was telling y'all about. See you all on Saturday.

1245A Defender

well,,,

tanner,,, you asked this question at 4:11 pm today, and it has already been answered, I know, I read it...
If your going to ask questions here,,, you should be happily reading the answers folks take the time to post...

scouser

Even with my limited knowledge I would have to agree. The 1911 has been the reason I have become a fan of guns. I like to clean it as much as I like shooting it......Kinda. I think I will show up and crash the party. But hope I wont be made to climb anything.

It used to be illegal to conceal carry in a place that served alcohol for consumption on the premises. However, that is no longer the case. Open carry in a place serving alcohol used to be the only option, thus leading to the 'Virginia Tuck' method of carrying where the armed person would tuck their shirt behind the grip of their firearm so as not to disguise it when entering a restaurant.

I'm sure someone here will be able to explain it all a lot better than this recent (11 years ago last month) immigrant can do so.

Last edited:

Tanner

MK4 while I respect everyones inputs, opinions, ideas and what not I have to ask how you know its lawful. Today I called the non emergency number for the local police and the officer I talked to seem certain that it was unlawful to carry both open or conseald at any place with a license to sell or serve liquor. Do realize that I know what one cop says is law isent always the case. Its why I ask questions. and thanks for your time.

scouser

MK4 while I respect everyones inputs, opinions, ideas and what not I have to ask how you know its lawful. Today I called the non emergency number for the local police and the officer I talked to seem certain that it was unlawful to carry both open or conseald at any place with a license to sell or serve liquor. Do realize that I know what one cop says is law isent always the case. Its why I ask questions. and thanks for your time.

Cops aren't lawyers, they don't go to law school, if you want advice about what is legal or not seek out a lawyer. If you wish to know who has the better product ... Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts ..........................................

mk4

Laws/statutes in VA prohibit acts and set punishment level (class 1 misdemeanor, class 6 felony, etc), so you won't find a statute that says it's unlawful to carry in an ABC establishment. Example: there's no statute forbidding OC, therefore it's legal, with some restrictions (K-12 schools, courtrooms, etc).

If you look through 18.2-308 of the VA Code, you'll see that *consuming* while CC in an ABC on-premises establishment is forbidden. No such such statute for OC while in the same establishment. (Disclaimer: I'm not advocating consuming while any kind of carrying.)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

It's not uncommon for the police to give bad information either on purpose or out of ignorance.
The idea here is to know the law, then you'll know more than they do!
In that case, it's always been legal to open carry but not concealed.

A few years ago VCDL won a major Victory in the General Assembly by changing that:

VCDL Thanks McDonnell

From VCDL Action Alerts:
I wanted to wait until the legislative season was over and things quieted down to ask everyone to send a quick email to Governor Bob McDonnell thanking him for his support during this year’s legislative session. The Governor signed the following bills:
* Restaurant ban repeal
* Container/Compartment carry in motor vehicles and vessels
* Circuit Court Clerks being able to issue CHPs
* Renewals through the mail
* Elementary schools having the ability to teach firearms safety classes
He came under attack by the press and some police chiefs on the restaurant ban repeal, but stood his ground.
In addition, and at VCDL’s request, he sent the container/compartment bill back to the General Assembly, removing the original “locked” requirement and changed it to a “secured” requirement. The General Assembly accepted that change and we got an even better law!
There is much work to be done still, including repealing the current ban on open carry in State Parks, DGIF lands, and National Forests (all of which only allow concealed carry currently), and both open and concealed carry in Virginia State Forests. I have been told that the Governor said on Tuesday’s “Ask the Governor” radio show that he will be working on those items.
VCDL has been in touch with the Governor’s office on a host of other items, and I will update you as various things progress.

The breakfast club can give you exact cites.

BTW, the worst person to ask about the law is a cop!

Another
http://news.oldva.org/?p=22027
[h=1]McDonnell signs the Restaurant bill…Finally. Now go take care of VDOF[/h]

Last edited: