• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to open carry

Tanner

I just got my serpa holster for my 1911 and am considering the open carry of a firearm. My girlfriend is all about guns and loves going to the range....BUT she has expresed some worry about how other people will feel about it. Her concern is that it may provoke aggression in some people who may not otherwise give us a second look. What shoud i say? Obviously acctually using the gun would be the absolute last resort to self defence. OC just seem like a good idea. I would like some feedback with some good and bad examples of people who open carry.

P.S. excuse the crap spelling

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Her concern is that it may provoke aggression in some people who may not otherwise give us a second look.
The mere presence of a nubile female also may provoke aggression in people that might not otherwise give a second look.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Tanner I see you live in Virginia, though you don't say what part.

Virginia is practically the home of OC. There are open carry breakfasts, lunches, dinners and picnics. Many people OC 24/7 and most LEOs are well attuned to the legality - hassles are few and far between, but do occasionally occur - that's why many carry a digital recorder. The general public seldom takes pointed notice. When you read of a problem, it's because it is so unusual that it is worth noting.

OC deters crime by the simple fact that it announces your unwillingness to be a victim of violence. Years ago I told my gf that I carried to protect my most precious things: her life and mine, in that order. Today she carries her own for similar reasons. Gotta love that woman, she is a keeper.

CC on the other hand offers no visual deterrent - one looks like a typical potential victim.

Tanner

to grapeshot. I live in Midlothian. It is outside of Richmond. And she has done reserch of her own and while she supports me wanting to OC she also acts like the worst case senario will happen. Her example to me was that if some one were to start to rob a place I would be considered a threat and shot on sight. WTF! I cant win either way but I dont know what to tell her.

Last edited:

ToggleSwitch

Welcome to OCDO!

While yes, if a place is being robbed they will be on the lookout for cops, people carrying, etc, but so long as you are attentive and aware of your surroundings (and with a bit of luck), you should be able to spot them first.

Of course every situation is different, and I don't have any first hand exp with this, but its something that has gone though my head over and over again. Just recently the store across the street from my home was robbed at gunpoint, and they missed me leaving the store (yes I was OC) by no-more then 15mins. Ever since, you start thinking about what you would do if you ever saw something like that happen.

Just keep reading around the forums and make sure you check out some of the other sections (e.g. True Tales of Self Defense) to see how other people react. Again, every situation is different and in the end its going to be a judgment call on your part.

Once again welcome to the OCDO and I hope to see you at some of the upcoming get-togethers.

Stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
to grapeshot. I live in Midlothian. It is outside of Richmond. And she has done reserch of her own and while she supports me wanting to OC she also acts like the worst case senario will happen. Her example to me was that if some one were to start to rob a place I would be considered a threat and shot on sight. WTF! I cant win either way but I dont know what to tell her.

Worst case scenario is an urban myth.

The age old challenge:

Show me one documented case (with cites) where on OCer was preemptively taken out by a bad guy anywhere in the United States in modern times (LEOs, security and military excluded) - several researchers have tried, none have succeeded. If and when one is found/occurs, the resultant odds will undoubtedly be about .000001% . I've always said that I'll take those adds versus appearing like an unarmed victim. ymmv

Bad guys more often than not have tunnel vision when stressed and in a hurry. If slow and methodical, most (all?) will chose to depart before risking their life.

Google "Golden Market" to find a good example of bg tunnel vision - happened right here in Richmond.

A VCDL director was in a bank talking to a teller. Bg came in pulling ski mask down - saw armed citizen - turned and left. Teller had to tell the customer what happened. :D

Bowesmobile

Also you can tell your GF that no one hardly notices, and when they do its usually positive. I work and shop a lot in Midlothian. I have been to a great many places with and without my family. When I started to OC I didn't tell my wife. So she couldn't tell me that I didn't know what was going to happen. I OC'ed for about three weeks before I told her. When I did, I explained that 95% dont even notice and I had not had any problems. So when I informed her I had actual proof, not just hearsay. I'm very responsible when I carry and I show her that. So now its hardly a problem.

If you ever want to meet up for lunch. Let me know and we can set something up!

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

Ever hear the old joke about a bear coming into a campsite at night? One camper sees another stopping to put on his shoes and says, "What are you doing? You can't outrun a bear." The other camper says, "I don't have to outrun the bear. I only have to outrun YOU!"

I think of that joke every time somebody posits the idea that I will be targeted by a robber because I OC.

My theory is that a robber that sees me OC'ing before he robs the place will do 1 of 2 things. They will either NOT rob the place and simply go away, OR they will wait for me to leave.

After I leave, I wish you the best. :eek: