• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on another forum

hermannr

If you post on that forum, maybe you might remind them...what they want is a "license to carry", NOT a TX style "License to conceal only"

kurt555gs

No kidding Roy? They don't seem to actually read what I wrote.

* Carthago Delenda Est *

Roy V

No kidding Roy? They don't seem to actually read what I wrote.

* Carthago Delenda Est *

Ugh (not toward you), I'll wait for one of their responses here then I'll give my very strong opinion. I requested my account be deleted from that site which it was.

Very unimpressed with their so called "experts".

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

I thought this open carry thread over on illinoiscarrry might be of interest here:

Howdy Amigo!
I am from Illinois originally. Being about a thousand miles from Illinois feels about right.
My house in Illinois is currently the habitation of my step-dad. When he goes his way to the pearly gates, I'll sell the house and not likely ever return to Illinois because of the stance against carry of any stripe.

The link you posted led me to check out the sort of discussion going on over there. From one fellow who stated "I tried it once, felt like I had a neon sign over my head, uncomfortable, never again, etc, etc..." struck me as an indication of the problem Illinois has. It hinted at an attitude of "My way or the highway" sort of mentality. I am not trying to disparage anybody, but how does imposition of any infringement of a right support that right? Since when does the free exercise of a right require government permission? If it requires permission, does that not literally install an infringement?

I left Illinois to live in Colorado. While I did get myself a CCW permit, I usually open carry everywhere I go. Contrary to what some folks on the forum you provided as a link, it ain't about showing off or carrying a sidearm to swagger around town to prove I'm some sort of bad hombre. It is about exercising a right. More than that, it is about what is comfortable for me. It is about what is effective and efficient for me. It is about my ability to carry freely however I choose. We are working toward constitutional carry here, and hope we get it, because it is the right thing to do considering it is our right under Amendment 2.

We anticipate visiting the old homestead in Illinois, and I am uncomfortable that doing so would require surrender of my constitutional right to defend myself, property and loved ones. This causes a real problem because I ain't keen on surrendering a right. Getting a permit of any kind is more infringement than ought to exist. While some may be comfortable bending their knee to the powers that be, and begging permission to exercise their right, I surely ain't.

Open carry should be respected because it is our right. Those who prefer asking permission are welcome to do so, but the question I'd have is....
What other rights are you willing to ask permission to exercise? How would they feel about asking permission to worship as they are led? Or to exercise their freedom of speech? Maybe have the government clear and approve anything the post on the forums? Or the right of free assembly? If we give up our right in one area, are they not all put in jeopardy?

Anyhow, I anticipate visiting Illinois eventually. Need to do that sooner rather than later, but really don't much like the notion of giving up my right of any carry whatsoever to visit my boyhood home. Why should doing so pose a risk to my life and liberty?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

TyGuy

I am a user over there too (same screen name). I totally support the right to carry not just concealed carry or open carry. I don't read anything in the 2A prescribing the method of bearing arms.

Ruby

Howdy Amigo!
I am from Illinois originally. Being about a thousand miles from Illinois feels about right.
My house in Illinois is currently the habitation of my step-dad. When he goes his way to the pearly gates, I'll sell the house and not likely ever return to Illinois because of the stance against carry of any stripe.

The link you posted led me to check out the sort of discussion going on over there. From one fellow who stated "I tried it once, felt like I had a neon sign over my head, uncomfortable, never again, etc, etc..." struck me as an indication of the problem Illinois has. It hinted at an attitude of "My way or the highway" sort of mentality. I am not trying to disparage anybody, but how does imposition of any infringement of a right support that right? Since when does the free exercise of a right require government permission? If it requires permission, does that not literally install an infringement?

I left Illinois to live in Colorado. While I did get myself a CCW permit, I usually open carry everywhere I go. Contrary to what some folks on the forum you provided as a link, it ain't about showing off or carrying a sidearm to swagger around town to prove I'm some sort of bad hombre. It is about exercising a right. More than that, it is about what is comfortable for me. It is about what is effective and efficient for me. It is about my ability to carry freely however I choose. We are working toward constitutional carry here, and hope we get it, because it is the right thing to do considering it is our right under Amendment 2.

We anticipate visiting the old homestead in Illinois, and I am uncomfortable that doing so would require surrender of my constitutional right to defend myself, property and loved ones. This causes a real problem because I ain't keen on surrendering a right. Getting a permit of any kind is more infringement than ought to exist. While some may be comfortable bending their knee to the powers that be, and begging permission to exercise their right, I surely ain't.

Open carry should be respected because it is our right. Those who prefer asking permission are welcome to do so, but the question I'd have is....
What other rights are you willing to ask permission to exercise? How would they feel about asking permission to worship as they are led? Or to exercise their freedom of speech? Maybe have the government clear and approve anything the post on the forums? Or the right of free assembly? If we give up our right in one area, are they not all put in jeopardy?

Anyhow, I anticipate visiting Illinois eventually. Need to do that sooner rather than later, but really don't much like the notion of giving up my right of any carry whatsoever to visit my boyhood home. Why should doing so pose a risk to my life and liberty?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I am also originally from Illinois (Peoria) and I would never live their again. I don't want to live anywhere where I cannot defend myself. I have family back there which I have not visited in many years and have no plans to do so at the present time. Many of the residents there have a totally different mindset from those of us living in "free-er" states as is obvious from the comments on that forum. As they say, you only have the rights you are willing to fight for.

I am very thankful that when I moved from there, I chose to move to Washington. I was not into guns at that time. We have CC with a license and OC is legal here as well with some restrictions, and we have state preemption, which is a blessing. No wondering what the laws are in the next county. We have had our share of problems and continue to, but we are working on them, same as others work on theirs.

lockman

State Researcher
How many things in life are awkward or uncomfortable at first?

I felt awkward the first several times I open carried. I no longer feel that way. Ironically, now that I can conceal carry in WI, I felt awkward the first couple times I did that too, even after OC'ing on and off for over 25 years.

Roy V

You're one of the folks from that site, I remember your screen name. Do you understand the laws surrounding the FOID card? Do you understand that you could be denied that card/have it suspended yet be legal to have a non-resident card to carry in other states?

Until your group realizes that, until your group goes after the FOID card, I will not support your efforts for CC in Illinois. And your so called "experts" in Springfield are clueless and have done a dis-service answering new folks questions; "felony" was your so called expert's opinion after asking if someone under 21 could buy a handgun in IL. - have a great day in your forum and keep up with the idiotic predictions - wrong every time and to the point of being a sincere joke - "I feel good about this case", "we have justice such in such on our side" and my favorite with the assault weapon case in Chicago "ready to buy some ammo".

Latest "we're two votes away in the house". Then what, share with us.

Honestly, give me/us a clue here...... I'm being totally sincere, what gives with you guys?? I also didn't appreciate one of your folks giving my wife hell for expressing her opinion regarding the woman who left her kid alone after having some guy rob her.

You guys border on near on a near joke. It's going to take a federal court battle before you get a clue. You guys are a complete disservice/disaster to anyone who supports open carry. I have never seen/heard so many idiotic/dumb opinions.

I suggest Molly do a realignment of that place . Frankly, you guys are dangerous.

Last edited:

Roy V

I am a user over there too (same screen name). I totally support the right to carry not just concealed carry or open carry. I don't read anything in the 2A prescribing the method of bearing arms.

From what I recall, you're a good and decent person from there. Not one of those people who opine with their silly opinions. Best of luck getting CC but I'm sincere when I claim your folks in Springfield leave a lot to be desired. Best case assuming one of your folks doesn't put their foot in their mouth and piss off someone, 2014 best case. And that's after having to get approved by a Sheriff who can deny on a whim so I take that back.... 2015.

Here's another question, is it HB 0148 or Hb 5745? Last time somebody asked over there, we were told to keep our mouths shut. Seems 5745 would allow campus carry - do you think we're so stupid that we can't read????

Last edited:

TyGuy

Considering WI passed it twice only to get it vetoed I'm sure you know how we feel.

lockman

State Researcher
The FOID is being challenged. I do not believe IC as a group will actively oppose the FOID until legal carry is available.

I am hoping for a positive judicial intervention in the Sheppard/Moore case.

Roy V

The FOID is being challenged. I do not believe IC as a group will actively oppose the FOID until legal carry is available.

I am hoping for a positive judicial intervention in the Sheppard/Moore case.

The FOID is NOT being challenged,who are you kidding? Not me. I go back to what I originally said.... do you realize you could be denied a foid/have it suspended yet get a CCW from Florida, Utah or Arizona? No you don't get it. GET RID OF THAT FOID.......I don't understand your priorities. What the hell does Sheppard/More have to do with with anything???????? Show me the legislation where it's being challenged and show us your support of it. Last I heard "it's second or third on your so called priority list". Tell ya what, have your FOID suspended for complaining to a doctor for being down in the dumps, become an instant felon, then tell all of us how you feel. I'll probably be suspended from this board but you guys ARE NOT going after that FOID card. Please do not BS people here. Go after your CC just realize your lives can become a living nightmare over that thing. Turn into a police scanner sometime "they have a FOID". I don't know about you but that scares the living hell out of me.

Here's the bill - since it's so low on your priority list, and your Springfield experts keep telling to us shut up, wait, deal with priorities it will never pass. I apologize but I'm so pissed. Read their board and have a good laugh.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...1&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=64561&SessionID=84&GA=97

Last edited:

devildog24

You're one of the folks from that site, I remember your screen name. Do you understand the laws surrounding the FOID card? Do you understand that you could be denied that card/have it suspended yet be legal to have a non-resident card to carry in other states?

Until your group realizes that, until your group goes after the FOID card, I will not support your efforts for CC in Illinois. And your so called "experts" in Springfield are clueless and have done a dis-service answering new folks questions; "felony" was your so called expert's opinion after asking if someone under 21 could buy a handgun in IL. - have a great day in your forum and keep up with the idiotic predictions - wrong every time and to the point of being a sincere joke - "I feel good about this case", "we have justice such in such on our side" and my favorite with the assault weapon case in Chicago "ready to buy some ammo".

Latest "we're two votes away in the house". Then what, share with us.

Honestly, give me/us a clue here...... I'm being totally sincere, what gives with you guys?? I also didn't appreciate one of your folks giving my wife hell for expressing her opinion regarding the woman who left her kid alone after having some guy rob her.

You guys border on near on a near joke. It's going to take a federal court battle before you get a clue. You guys are a complete disservice/disaster to anyone who supports open carry. I have never seen/heard so many idiotic/dumb opinions.

I suggest Molly do a realignment of that place . Frankly, you guys are dangerous.

You are right on with this post. I explained on that forum how the FOID card came about with the SUPPORT of the ISRA and the waiting period etc. They told me to quit talking about their great org. A non-resident can not buy ammo at most places. FOID card regs get tougher every year. Non-residents can't even go in a store and touch a gun because no foid means no touch.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Here's hot news flash: people in Illinois already carry ! I know in DuPage county, folks carry in a fanny pack and police look the other way about it. I'm sure many other counties do the same. Only in Crook County and Lake County are they so paranoid about guns.

wolfgangmob

I am also originally from Illinois (Peoria) and I would never live their again. I don't want to live anywhere where I cannot defend myself. I have family back there which I have not visited in many years and have no plans to do so at the present time. Many of the residents there have a totally different mindset from those of us living in "free-er" states as is obvious from the comments on that forum. As they say, you only have the rights you are willing to fight for.

I am very thankful that when I moved from there, I chose to move to Washington. I was not into guns at that time. We have CC with a license and OC is legal here as well with some restrictions, and we have state preemption, which is a blessing. No wondering what the laws are in the next county. We have had our share of problems and continue to, but we are working on them, same as others work on theirs.

Maybe we should start a support group for former IL residents, something like a second amendment rights rehabilitation program.

I left IL under some odd circumstances, part of which was to keep my property from being taken by state police wanting to sieze all the firearms from my parents house over false charges against my father, all of my guns immediately followed me to my residence in MO (had a few I just left there because I never used them much) and the rest were gifted to my sister, told the police they just acted ticked but couldn't get a warrant for property not directly connected to my father and especially couldn't get a warrant to try seizing the property of a MO resident.

Anymore I visit family for holidays but otherwise stay to the west fo the river as much as possible. Though when I'm over there I usually keep my OC belt on with the gun removed just to throw people off when I walk by with a holster and double mag pouch sticking out, not had a police encounter but I've had security yell that I had to wait for the police to show up and try to prevent me from leaving the store a couple times.

As for the link, I like how most shoot down OC as trying to look big and bad or think it'll give gun owners a bad name. That seems to be what the main arguments against it are anywhere and how police like to talk about it.

Last edited: