• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HELP i was detained

VW_Factor

You do not need an attorney, yet.

Why do people think getting an attorney is the answer? 99% of the time it does more harm than good.

You need to get the incident report and all other documents related to the issue/matter including any and all records and reports that are connected to the particular officer, time and place.

And what better person to do that than an attorney. In such a situation, which can be deemed serious, why mess around with it yourself when having a lawyer do it the right way the first time would be a good option?

Yanno, or trust the babbling incoherent can't spell on a forum guy to do this stuff himself. Yeah..

I think getting a lawyer would be a better route.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Albert Einstein could not tie his shoes. So what 's your point? Maybe he is a product of the public school system. He reached out for help and all he gets is go hire an attorney. There is a lot of things he can do on his own with a little help from other open carriers who have experience with matters like this.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Albert Einstein could not tie his shoes. So what 's your point? Maybe he is a product of the public school system. He reached out for help and all he gets is go hire an attorney. There is a lot of things he can do on his own with a little help from other open carriers who have experience with matters like this.

From reading this thread, I fear that Jacob may not in fact be able to do very much by himself. In which case securing the services of an advocate, while expensive, may be the best that he could do for himself at this time.

Of course, if someone wanted to volunteer to help him with the first steps so he can save his money for better things, that would be very nice. I do not know Ohio laws and I live pretty far away. Someone else may need to step up and volunteer.

In the meantime, here's some advice for Jacob -

get some paper and write down everything you can remember about what happened starting from when you left wherever it was to go to your car. Try and write down where people were standing from or where they seemed to come from, and what each person said. Do not post any of that. Save it until you either have a lawyer or someobe has worked out a plan to help you with the first steps I talked about.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
FOIA request please

Call whatever u need I posted the number and officer badge number it happened at 1 in Hamilton outside of Penn station on Dixie highway/ rt 4 . This is very real

705 hanover street hamilton ohio 45011 office number 5137851000 butler county sheriff's office badge number 1164

Heres the card he gave me

Gentleman when a poster neither gets any attorney (initial consultations are usually free) nor will provide documentation it raises certain obvious questions - particularly when the alleged conduct is so egregious.

There is enough claimed data to put through a FOIA request. Will someone local please initiate this action to confirm or deny that an event happened on 5/10 at about 1:00pm involving deputy badge #1164 of the Butler Sheriff's Dept. at location noted above.
The OP could do that, but apparently is unwilling.

Such response can be used to help this young man if it proves true. On the other hand.......well we shall have to see won't we. I am of the school that anything of this type needs to be confirmed in some manner. I will not "convict" a LEO an the hearsay report of an unknown user, nor will I simply believe in total what has been alleged just because someone says it is so.

Edited to add location: it happened at 1 in Hamilton outside of Penn station on Dixie highway/ rt 4

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

jacob,

In Ohio, it is legal to record any conversation in which you are a party. Get a voice recorder that can run all day so you don't have to fiddle with it when something happens. Get one TODAY, if possible.

Do not contact the police department by phone or in person until you have a voice recorder and are actively recording. If you use a phone, make sure it has speakerphone capability. Record all your interactions with law enforcement from here on out. Record at all times while open carrying.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Deputy Mofield exists. The 1-800 number on the card is wrong, but the dispatcher has given me the correct number 1-800-553-1497. Seems all the local numbers are 753 exchange and that might explain why the erreor in the 1-800 number. The dispatcher said she would notify the Sheroff so the next time they order cards it can be corrected.

I am not going to follow up any further. Either the OP will do that or he will get someone local to help him, and then post enough information to lend credence to the events as he has described them.

stay safe.

MyWifeSaidYes

Called and asked the dispatcher if open carry was legal. Her reply was, "Honestly, I'm not sure. Is it something you need to know tonight?"

I said no and she suggested I talk to Deputy Smith in the "CCW Permit Office" in the morning.

MyWifeSaidYes

While I will wait until the OP's story is validated, it doesn't hurt to look around.

I have bolded a few interesting points:

The Butler County Sheriff's Office Code of Ethics

As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression, the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn or ridicule; develop self restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others, honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life.

I will be exemplary of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my Office as a symbol of public faith and I accept it as a symbol of public faith and I accept it as the public trust to be held as long as I am true to the ethics of Law Enforcement. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself, before God, to my chosen profession…. Law Enforcement

Makarov

Parking lot Security CAMS

This is just a thought! Does that strip mall or Pen Station have parking lot cams? If so, maybe you can obtain some footage of what happened to you. Please note: you may want to do this quickly because most footage is only stored for 24 hours before it is taped over.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gee, this happened yesterday at 1 pm. I suppose this guy should take off work to pursue this??? If he has a job, he is a lucky one these days.

If I had a gun with a finger on the trigger stuck in my face, I would take an emergency personal day and get it done NOW - I would be the proverbial wet hen on a mission.

Perhaps that is what the OP is doing - ya think?

Any other questions?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Maybe the Sheriff will set up a special appointment on a Sunday about 3:00 pm, so the OP can sleep in to rest from his hard weeks work. Then the sheriff can hear a complaint against one of his deputies. They are always very cooperative and just bend over backward to help out on these things. I am certain that one conversation is all it will take to straighten this out. So any Sunday afternoon the sheriff is free will do fine.There's no real rush.

:lol: LOLROF :lol:

MyWifeSaidYes

Actually, I haven't been to a Penn Station sub shop in a couple years. I may just have to come down for lunch one day next week.

jacob

Thanks for the advice. I don't have a computer but I have my phone if some can pm me the steps for a foia I will take care of it myself. I am waiting for a call back on Monday for an attorney to meet with me and I am meeting with the Hamilton police department to get a written statement from there ccw class teacher because after calling him and asking he confirmed that inducing panic cannot be caused by legal open carry but he does not recommend I do it with out a ccw just to cover my bases.

jacob

Excellent food I'm a regular never had a problem oc there. Let me know if you decide to come me and my girlfriend would love to meet a fellow oc as we are the only I have been able to find in this area.

MetalChris

Called and asked the dispatcher if open carry was legal. Her reply was, "Honestly, I'm not sure. Is it something you need to know tonight?"

I said no and she suggested I talk to Deputy Smith in the "CCW Permit Office" in the morning.

facepalm.gif