• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA State CPL Question

Elimsitna

Apologize for the thread jack, but on the same subject.

I am coming back to Wa after a brief stint in Ga, I had acquired my Ga drivers license though. Will my Wa CPL still be vaild when paired with my Ga DL? :eek: Or should I only open carry till I get my Wa DL?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

I am coming back to Wa after a brief stint in Ga, I had acquired my Ga drivers license though. Will my Wa CPL still be vaild when paired with my Ga DL? :eek: Or should I only open carry till I get my Wa DL?

Your WA CPL is valid if you have it, the expire date has not passed and your still eligible under WA state law to possess a firearm. No requirement of residency, in fact WA allows for out of state permits.

RCW 9.41.070 - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Your WA CPL is valid if you have it, the expire date has not passed and your still eligible under WA state law to possess a firearm. No requirement of residency, in fact WA allows for out of state permits.

RCW 9.41.070 - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

You may have an issue if you are not a resident or meet the residence requirements, otherwise one must have a Non-Resident License or Washington State honors an out of State Concealed Pistol License or as you suggested, open carry.

If you still have your WDL and it is current then no issue, If you are Active Military and your WDL will not expire until you ETS.

Last edited:

sirpuma

You're alright to purchase for someone else, as long as they are not prohibited from owning, or, you are not committing a "straw purchase".

As far as the delay or wait period, it could go either way. I recently purchased a long gun, it was on a Saturday, and I got delayed. After a few days I went back in, and picked up my rifle. I have a very popular name, not as bad as John Smith, but there are several million us. The clerk at the store mentioned that, after he got off the phone with NICS. He couldn't say for sure why, as that would be a breach of privacy, I was a bit perturbed, but I knew it wasn't his fault.

We can't say because they won't tell us.

Not to hijack this thread to much but I was under the imperssion that this statement is correct -

But I'm still wondering how "Not prohibited from owning" is interperted.
Suppose I have a freind visiting and he finds a gun at a local shop that he really wants? He cannot buy it because he is from out of state.
Is it OK for me to purchase it ( with my own coin and all that ) turn around and give it to him?

Anyone (not otherwise legally prohibited) can purchase, but non residents can't take possession of a handgun. He can purchase it and have it shipped to an FFL in his state though. However he can purchase a long gun and take possession of it.

Would it be if he was driving?

A non resident can't purchase a handgun and take possession of it. So whether they drove, flew, walked, rode a bike or a horse it doesn't matter. If they are not a resident of the state they can't purchase a handgun and take possession of it. But he should be able to purchase it and have the dealer ship it to an FFL in his home state.

(*NOTE: Active duty military with current PCS orders that station them in the state are considered residents even if they maintain a driver's license in another state.)

As far as CC goes, as long as your CPL is still valid (not expired) you should still be good to go to carry concealed and loaded in a vehicle. Our state issues non resident CPLs.

As far as purchasing goes you will need to provide proof of residence (a government document that lists your physical address in this state) before you can purchase a handgun. The CPL would only wave the requirement of the 5 day waiting period. However if you are active duty military and being stationed in the state (not TDY but actually PCS) then a copy of your orders showing your change of station to WA will suffice for residency proof though you still need to provide documentation of your current physical address.

Last edited:

LkWd_Don

You must be on one of those "lists."

That's not always the case either, there are times that simply because the FFL seller read something off the purchase/registration from wrong they will say Hold. I had that happen to me even when I was purchasing a Rifle as when the guy behind the counter was reading info from my form he read an N as an A and the NICS came back with Hold. I had heard the mistake but didn't think it worth correcting him on the spot. When he told me that the NICS insta-check came back with hold.. I mentioned to him the error he made.. He called it back in right then and corrected that and they said proceed.

amlevin

Second, do you have to be the registered owner of the firearm to legally conceal carry it?

Washington State doesn't have a "formal" firearms registration law. Yes, there are ways they can find out who purchased but no law requiring registration therefore you don't have to be the registered owner to legally carry it. You do, however need to be possessing it legally, for example not stolen or with the permission and knowledge of the legal owner.

xxx.jakk.xxx

So it's probably been answered somewhere in here, but I haven't seen the actual answer for this particular question.

I'll just put a bit of background on it and explain it as to get the best responses.

My lady wants an AR and CPL applications are accepted in Kitsap only during times that she works. She actually gets off of work at the exact minute that they stop accepting applications every day... So I had the brilliant idea, because she's not barred from owning or buying a firearm, I'll just purchase it for her and give it to her. Now yes, that is alright. I am, however, working an almost minimum wage job and myself haven't been saving for dropping almost a grand on a new gun so she'd have to give me the money. Now, since she actually gave me money for the gun, does this magically turn this into something that's a no-no?

I know that I could just get her money, buy the gun and hand it to her, but I'm always paranoid about things that could possibly be a big no-no, so I want to know if I have to come up with a way to make the money transfer a bit more okay like letting her pay more bills to allow me to save for her gift.

Thanks guys. =]

**note** forgot to mention that I'd be purchasing it so that she can avoid the 5 day wait.

Last edited:

Jayd1981

An AR rifle would not be subject to the 5 day waiting period. The waiting period is only for pistols. As far as her giving you the money, as I understand it that would be a straw purchase since you are not the buyer if it is not paid for with your money. Case law was posted earlier in this thread that found a crime was not committed if the final owner was not a prohibited person. But that is a risk you take yourself if you trust that case law. As for me I would not take someone elses money and buy a gun for them. But I have purchased a firearm before as a gift for someone else.

Levi

There isn't a waiting period for long guns, only delays due to flaws in the verification process.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Sweet. Thanks guys. I was one of those less than informed that thought the Bradys got to all guns for that waiting period. I'll make sure ot let her know that she can buy ehr cake and eat it while walking out of the store. =]

kparker

that thought the Bradys got to all guns for that waiting period.
Indeed not. To clarify: there is no federal waiting period of any kind, other than a temporary delay by the "instant" background check system.

The 5-day waiting period for handgun delivery is purely a matter of WA state law, which is why having a WA state CPL can be specified in law as exempting the holder from the waiting period.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Indeed not. To clarify: there is no federal waiting period of any kind, other than a temporary delay by the "instant" background check system.

The 5-day waiting period for handgun delivery is purely a matter of WA state law, which is why having a WA state CPL can be specified in law as exempting the holder from the waiting period.

For more clarity, one may want to review the ' Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act ' from 1993 which was signed into law by president Bill Clinton.

Found in USC 18 921-922.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_Handgun_Violence_Prevention_Act#section_1

The Brady Act requires that background checks be conducted on individuals before a firearm may be purchasedfrom a federally licensed dealer, manufacturer or importer - unless an exception applies. If there are no additional state restrictions, a firearm may be transferred to an individual upon approval by the National Instant CriminalBackground Check System (NICS) maintained by the FBI. In some states, proof of a previous background check can be used to bypass the NICS check. For example, a state-issued concealed carry permit usually includes a background check equivalent to the one required by the Act. Other alternatives to the NICS check include state-issued handgun purchase permits or mandatory state or local background checks.