Thread: Macomb county CPL timeline/gun board

Macomb county CPL timeline/gun board

Hi, new member here--I've read a few threads and it seems like you guys really know the laws (and it looks like some even helped write them...). I think I saw 1 or 2 of you when I testified at the SB 59 hearing awhile ago. Unfortunately I missed the event at Gander Mountain, right down the street from me... I've never open carried, but I might in the right situation/with another OC'er; I definitely support the right and am glad that people are exercising it.

Anyway, I applied for my CPL in Macomb County on 4/24 (they got the fingerprints back the same day), and I'm tracking its status online, and I see that my gun board appearance is scheduled for 6/15. If I remember right, they're supposed to approve/deny within 45 days. What do you make of that? Are there only a limited number of gun board meetings? Should I call and ask? Thanks in advance.

Andrew

I think they only have 1 meeting per month so that sounds like it is about as good as you are going to get. Some other counties take far longer than that. Yours sounds right in line with what I experienced back in 2010.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Thanks. Is only having 1 meeting a month violating the law, in that sometimes it will be more than 45 days? Also, do you get your license right after the meeting, or does it take additional time?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt View Post
    Thanks. Is only having 1 meeting a month violating the law, in that sometimes it will be more than 45 days? Also, do you get your license right after the meeting, or does it take additional time?
    If there are no problems,they will hand you your CPL when they're done with their questions.Thats the way it goes normaly at the Macomb board.They meet monthly.They made me come back a month later because they didn't have their facts strait.You'll see how it works when you're sitting in the room full of people going through the same thing.No Problem!CARRY ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

My first CPL through Macomb took 5 months start to finnish. My first renewal took nearly 6 months and my last renewal took 4 weeks. So you seem to be in the "normal" range of the process. But yes you are right from the day of the return of your FBI "report card" they have to issue or deny your license, although they do not follow that law.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

The 45 days starts after the gun board gets all of your records back.
    Which is the last step before the meeting.

I applied in the last week of feb had my meeting apr 20.
    Last edited by GlockIt; 05-14-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    Id rather look at my ugly Glock than shoot your fancy S&W.