• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Macomb county CPL timeline/gun board

andrewt

Hi, new member here--I've read a few threads and it seems like you guys really know the laws (and it looks like some even helped write them...). I think I saw 1 or 2 of you when I testified at the SB 59 hearing awhile ago. Unfortunately I missed the event at Gander Mountain, right down the street from me... I've never open carried, but I might in the right situation/with another OC'er; I definitely support the right and am glad that people are exercising it.

Anyway, I applied for my CPL in Macomb County on 4/24 (they got the fingerprints back the same day), and I'm tracking its status online, and I see that my gun board appearance is scheduled for 6/15. If I remember right, they're supposed to approve/deny within 45 days. What do you make of that? Are there only a limited number of gun board meetings? Should I call and ask? Thanks in advance.

Andrew

fozzy71

I think they only have 1 meeting per month so that sounds like it is about as good as you are going to get. Some other counties take far longer than that. Yours sounds right in line with what I experienced back in 2010.

andrewt

Thanks. Is only having 1 meeting a month violating the law, in that sometimes it will be more than 45 days? Also, do you get your license right after the meeting, or does it take additional time?

Haman J.T.

Thanks. Is only having 1 meeting a month violating the law, in that sometimes it will be more than 45 days? Also, do you get your license right after the meeting, or does it take additional time?
If there are no problems,they will hand you your CPL when they're done with their questions.Thats the way it goes normaly at the Macomb board.They meet monthly.They made me come back a month later because they didn't have their facts strait.You'll see how it works when you're sitting in the room full of people going through the same thing.No Problem!CARRY ON!

NHCGRPR45

My first CPL through Macomb took 5 months start to finnish. My first renewal took nearly 6 months and my last renewal took 4 weeks. So you seem to be in the "normal" range of the process. But yes you are right from the day of the return of your FBI "report card" they have to issue or deny your license, although they do not follow that law.

GlockIt

The 45 days starts after the gun board gets all of your records back.
Which is the last step before the meeting.

I applied in the last week of feb had my meeting apr 20.

Last edited: