• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Ohio

Eric Oditt

Ok Im going to get my ccw in a few months but till then I want to be able to protect myself at night while fishing on the river banks cause usually I'm by myself till 3 or 4 in the morning, my concerns are can it be loaded and does open carry mean I can holster it on my side as long as its visible that means its legal and I am in Ohio I know when in a car it cant be loaded but didnt know while fishing and hiking and stuff like that what the laws are

N605TW

Activist Member
Welcome to OCDO!
Open carry is legal in Ohio. You may carry loaded, in a holster. I recommend a good retention holster that fits your firearm.
Until you get your CHL you must unload your firearm AND all your magazines or speed loaders when you are in/on a vehicle. You also need to stay 1000ft from school property.
Make sure you read the laws before hand.

-sent from my phone, please excuse any errors.

sliide

Open carry on private property

My neighbor put up an invisible (electric) fence and has a German Shepard. I have been walking my dog around our yard (1 acre) for a long time and now feel intimidated with him getting this dog. He has yet to try out the fence with the dog on it's own but my question is: Can I openly carry my firearm for protection and shoot his dog if it enters my yard? From the threads I have read I realize open carry is legal in Ohio but have not heard any mention of open carry on private property. I am assuming there would not be a problem but just checking. Thanks for any help.

GuidoZ

My neighbor put up an invisible (electric) fence and has a German Shepard. I have been walking my dog around our yard (1 acre) for a long time and now feel intimidated with him getting this dog. He has yet to try out the fence with the dog on it's own but my question is: Can I openly carry my firearm for protection and shoot his dog if it enters my yard? From the threads I have read I realize open carry is legal in Ohio but have not heard any mention of open carry on private property. I am assuming there would not be a problem but just checking. Thanks for any help.
I'm not from Ohio, but if OC is legal, then private property should be no different (especially if it's your own, or unless the owner requests otherwise). The part that gets me is the "and shoot his dog if it enters my yard?". I want to say no, but not from an OC standpoint, but an ethics one! Now, if the dog appears to be attacking, then you have a right to defend yourself, sure. But just because the dog crossed into your property line? Hell no.

--
Peace. ~G

twoskinsonemanns

I our country in this day and age many people value an animals life as much or more than yours. You had best be careful shooting an animal that is not actively attacking you

MyWifeSaidYes

Open carry is legal on your own property.

The law in Ohio (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.28) states that even if that dog is attacking your dog, you can NOT kill it.

However, you can kill a chicken chaser.

If the neighbor's dog is tearing my dog's throat out, or ripping my kitty cat's head clean off, I can't kill it.

But, if it so much as CHASES one of my chickens ("livestock, poultry, other domestic animal" except for a cat or dog), I can kill it.

Ohio, gotta love it!

You may want to open carry around your neighbor. If he asks why you're carrying, just tell him it's your "invisible fence enforcement tool".

j4l

You did NOT actually just ask that question, did you?

MULTIPLE COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate comments, threats, and personal attacks

... it's a dog. There are several hundred ways to get a dog to go somewhere else, without having to open fire on it.

... think, dude. Just because he has a dog, Sheppard, Pit, Rottie or otherwise, does not mean it is going to harm you for any reason.IF , HOWEVER, that dog is sensing hostility and fear/paranoia from YOU, ... it's going to be inclined to think it-or it's owner- may be in danger,and react accordingly. At which point, that is still entirely YOUR fault.

Try just treating it like a doggie. Be nice to it, mind your body language, and attitude around it. Keep a couple of sticks, or bones nearby, so that if it does come around-you just toss the stick back to their yard-and the dog will probably "play" and go after it. It's not rocket science,for Christ's sake, dont over-react, if it has given you no reason to do so.

The electric fence/silent fence things work very well, actually. My next door neighbor has 2 Goldens with the collars and the fence, they stay well clear of the fenceline, despite wanting so badly to come play with my Pit.

Last edited by a moderator:

j4l

I our country in this day and age many people value an animals life as much or more than yours. You had best be careful shooting an animal that is not actively attacking you

^Bingo. My dog's are as much a member of my family as anyone else. Loyal, and willing to lay down their lives in protection of me and mine. One has already done so, in defense of our home during a home-invasion attempt.

COMMENT REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

The law in Ohio (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.28) states that even if that dog is attacking your dog, you can NOT kill it.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.28 said:
955.28 Dog may be killed for certain acts - owner liable for damages.

(A) Subject to divisions (A)(2) and (3) of section 955.261 of the Revised Code, a dog that is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bite or otherwise endanger, or that kills or injures a person or a dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be killed at the time of that chasing, threatening, harassment, approaching, attempt, killing, or injury. If, in attempting to kill such a dog, a person wounds it, the person is not liable to prosecution under the penal laws that punish cruelty to animals. Nothing in this section precludes a law enforcement officer from killing a dog that attacks a police dog as defined in section 2921.321 of the Revised Code.

(B) The owner, keeper, or harborer of a dog is liable in damages for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is caused by the dog, unless the injury, death, or loss was caused to the person or property of an individual who, at the time, was committing or attempting to commit criminal trespass or another criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor on the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer, or was committing or attempting to commit a criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor against any person, or was teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog on the owner’s, keeper’s, or harborer’s property. Additionally, the owner, keeper, or harborer of a dog is liable in damages for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is caused by the dog if the injury, death, or loss was caused to the person or property of an individual who, at the time of the injury, death, or loss, was on the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer solely for the purpose of engaging in door-to-door sales or other solicitations regardless of whether the individual was in compliance with any requirement to obtain a permit or license to engage in door-to-door sales or other solicitations established by the political subdivision in which the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer is located, provided that the person was not committing a criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor or was not teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog.

Effective Date: 07-10-1987; 2008 HB71 09-30-2008
The word NOT, indeed no negative, does not appear in your citation.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Ohio §§ 955.01 - 99, Dogs

Dogs tell no tails, dead or alive.

NoTolerance

I was having dinner with a young lady the other night. She's not anti-guns, but she's one of those that has an irrational fear of them.

She works with dogs for a living and is a huge animal lover.

While discussing her fear of firearms, I equated her fear to those that are irrationally convinced every Rottweiler, Pit Bull, and Mastiff has no other purpose than to tear people apart.

We're going to the range this week.

You, sir/madam, are no better in your ignorant fear than one of those people that would gladly disarm you and everyone you know because "guns are dangerous, evil things."

j4l

I was having dinner with a young lady the other night. She's not anti-guns, but she's one of those that has an irrational fear of them.

She works with dogs for a living and is a huge animal lover.

While discussing her fear of firearms, I equated her fear to those that are irrationally convinced every Rottweiler, Pit Bull, and Mastiff has no other purpose than to tear people apart.

We're going to the range this week.

You, sir/madam, are no better in your ignorant fear than one of those people that would gladly disarm you and everyone you know because "guns are dangerous, evil things."

AMEN^.

It's a very,very irrational, and largely baseless fear-most of the time. I've had 2 pits- that have proven to be the most gentle, affectionate, great-with-children dogs I've ever seen. My late pit ,Lady, on two seperate occasions, rescued small children- one aged 6, the other aged 8, who were attempting to swim in a neighbor's pond, and began to drown.
Her mother insticts kicked-in and she jumped my fence, ran over, jumped in the pond, took their shirts in her teeth, and dragged them out of the water onto the shore, and then stood over them barking until we adults could get over to help.

The whole internet/evening news myth (and it IS a myth) of un-provoked attacks on humans by dogs of almost every kind, is way over-played. Why? because it's dramatic, and scary and generates views, website visits, and more views of adverts/sponsors. Just like any other "drama".

Heck, I've never even had the many Coyote I've encountered do more than look at me in any way threatening. The one-and only- time I was ever bitten or attacked by a dog (Cocker-Spaniel) was when I was bout 6 or 7 yrs. old- and that was entirely MY FAULT, because I'd grabbed it tail for whatever crazy kid reason.

MyWifeSaidYes

I live in a fairly rural area. If a dog is on my property, they're usually trying to dig into my garbage cans.

On more than one occaision, I have fired a couple rounds of .45acp into the hillside to scare them off.

Doesn't hurt them and it's safer than me approaching them.

j4l doesn't seem to believe that dogs can be dangerous to humans.

That's a dangerous assumption.

j4l

I live in a fairly rural area. If a dog is on my property, they're usually trying to dig into my garbage cans.

On more than one occaision, I have fired a couple rounds of .45acp into the hillside to scare them off.

Doesn't hurt them and it's safer than me approaching them.

j4l doesn't seem to believe that dogs can be dangerous to humans.

That's a dangerous assumption.

Wrong, the possibility is entirely there- the likelihood, however, is remote-in the extreme. But so can Lightning, elderly drivers, texting drivers, and our fellow man. Does one propose we shoot everything that can potentially harm us? Or do we carry on like mature, rational, adults and not jump at every Boogie-Man and shadow out there?
Dogs do not/will not, instinctively attack humans, without provocation. If it does, you've likely done something to deserve to have your windpipe gnawed out- or, gunned-down by me.

jeeper1

Dogs do not/will not, instinctively attack humans, without provocation.
I take it then that riding on a road on my mobility scooter is provocation.

j4l

Unfortunately, for you, yes. As are bikes, mopeds, and motorcycles, for most dogs.
Simple sollution for you- small back of those beef-jerky bits. Dog comes barking- toss a treat behind him- he will forget all about you. You dont get chased, they dont get shot, you dont get shot in kind, by the owner =win/win for everyone.
See? life has all these nifty little sollutions that dont always require us to clear leather and open fire.

I really gotta ask though- no offense intended-but are you DOING, driving down a ROAD on a mobility scooter?
I'd be a lot less concerned about canine hazzards, than about some of the idiot drivers out there.

jeeper1

I really gotta ask though- no offense intended-but are you DOING, driving down a ROAD on a mobility scooter?
I live in a semi-rural area, no sidewalks, and no curbs. Besides a sidewalk is no place for a mobility scooter that can go 13 mph.
I've even been attacked and bit by dogs while riding on the Olympic Discovery Trail.
I've had more problems from dogs than idiot drivers.