• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any LEOs on the forum?

Mark 1911

Just curious if there are any LEOs posting here. I assume that most LEOs carry while off duty, and am curious how many LEOs open carry while off duty. A good friend of mine is a Jasper County Sheriff's Deputy. I was really surprised when he told me that he doesn't carry at all when off duty. I just assumed that all LEOs would be packing something at all times, on duty and off duty, but apparently not so. Thought it might be interesting to have some LEOs chime in on the forum.

ManInBlack

There are several, both peace officers and law enforcement employees. Like other posters, they run the gamut from liberty-oriented to fascism-lite.

hogeaterf6

I rarley see any oc'ing off duty. Well, except the detectives that are on there way home from work, but thats it. Most I know dont cc either. I only know of 2 that do and I know alot of leo's.

TruxLupus

Some LEOs may not be permitted to OC, as a condition of employment, while off-duty. Sets a bad example I guess to the little people.

I'm wondering if this was the case with my most recent LEO encounter. I was not told to cover up, but for some reason the deputy felt the need to give me a lecture about OC and how "we don't need any John Waynes" out here.

I didn't say anything, as he quit lecturing in short order and had not ordered me to conceal. Continuing to pursue the point would have served no purpose. I did want to lean my body over and look down at his hip and say "....really???" but I think the sarcasm would have went over even less well than getting into an argument. I felt it best to at least do my part in maintaining an atmosphere of respect.

Now reading this, I maybe wonder if he is not allowed to OC while off-duty. All he said concerning that was "he didn't want anyone to know he was a cop" when he's off duty.

Well, now, three key points:

You live in a very low-populated area of Indiana. Everyone knows everyone. With or without your uniform, people still know who you are and what your profession is.

Openly carrying a gun does not make you a cop.

What is best for you is not best for me.

~

Perhaps he was just upset at his Sheriff's irrational rules for his deputies. In the county where I live, the current Sheriff wants his deputies, full time and reserves, to carry at all times, in whatever manner they feel comfortable with.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
In the county where I live, the current Sheriff wants his deputies, full time and reserves, to carry at all times, in whatever manner they feel comfortable with.
I have to say, that's a very liberating attitude for a CLEO to have. Most would insist their officers conceal.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

N.Indiana

Always Carry

Just curious if there are any LEOs posting here. I assume that most LEOs carry while off duty, and am curious how many LEOs open carry while off duty. A good friend of mine is a Jasper County Sheriff's Deputy. I was really surprised when he told me that he doesn't carry at all when off duty. I just assumed that all LEOs would be packing something at all times, on duty and off duty, but apparently not so. Thought it might be interesting to have some LEOs chime in on the forum.

I am a LEO and carry about 90% of the time, obviously off duty. It is pounded into our heads to carry concealed because of "Tactical Advantage" of which I am not sold out on that theory. I do OC. I am a big OC advocate and thank every person I see OCing for excercising their rights! It doesn't matter if I am on or off duty. I would say about 50% carry off duty if I had to guess. I OC and firmly belive in exercising our rights!

Please be conscious of officer safety when carrying in a car. I pulled a gentlemen over the other day who had a .38 in his glove box. He told me in advance where the gun was. I was able to reposition myself for my safety and he then took out his registration, all was good. I asked for his LTCH, valid and he was on his way.

OC for ME

I am a LEO and carry about 90% of the time, obviously off duty. It is pounded into our heads to carry concealed because of "Tactical Advantage" of which I am not sold out on that theory. I do OC. I am a big OC advocate and thank every person I see OCing for exercising their rights! It doesn't matter if I am on or off duty. I would say about 50% carry off duty if I had to guess. I OC and firmly believe in exercising our rights!

Please be conscious of officer safety when carrying in a car. I pulled a gentlemen over the other day who had a .38 in his glove box. He told me in advance where the gun was. I was able to reposition myself for my safety and he then took out his registration, all was good. I asked for his LTCH, valid and he was on his way.
Thanks for the valuable input and perspective. OC, CC, or no C, whatever floats your boat. Good luck and stay safe.

BTW, were you required to ask for the LTCH after he told you he had the pistol?

How likely would it have been that fella not having a LTCH if he informed before he opened the glove box?

Would a simple 'yes' have been good enough if you had asked if he had a valid LTCH before requesting it?

Mark 1911

I am a LEO and carry about 90% of the time, obviously off duty. It is pounded into our heads to carry concealed because of "Tactical Advantage" of which I am not sold out on that theory. I do OC. I am a big OC advocate and thank every person I see OCing for excercising their rights! It doesn't matter if I am on or off duty. I would say about 50% carry off duty if I had to guess. I OC and firmly belive in exercising our rights!

Thanks for the positive feedback. Please spread the positive attitude around your fellow officers. I have been carrying since 1989, but only started to OC this year. My experience with LEOs as well as with the general public has been good to date.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

When I was in high school, in Marion, Indiana, there was a local cop who was our PAL sponsor for the local NRA rifle club. He used to bring out all kinds of stuff for us to try out, including Thompson SMGs, M16s, M2 Carbines, and many other weapons, some he owned, and some were owned by the department. But he also taught us safe weapon handling, proper stance, and how to hit the target. I don't know if he ever had a position on OC vs. CC. I know he carried all the time, and he favored the .45ACP round, over the department issued .38/.357. He also had one of the largest gun collections I ever saw. But that was Russ, if he could afford it, he'd buy it, assuming he liked it. :)

We lost touch over the years, and I don't know what happened to him. But he was a great friend, and an excellent shooting instructor. I do get homesick for Indiana every once in a while. Even though I know Michigan has a much more widely accepted CPL, I think, if I could find work there, I'd move back home.

Thanks for your post, I wish there were more LEOs like you and my old friend.

Stay safe.

CathyInBlue

Big Gay Convo Killer?

I'd like to know from those who are LEOs and those who have had conversations with LEOs, what is the policy of LEOs in your area as to when it is appropriate to demand of a person that they present their LTCH for inspection? When is is appropriate for the LEO to disarm a carrier, whether OCing or CCing, when the carrier is not exhibitting any criminal behaviour? How about when the carrier is on their own property?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Big Gay Convo Killer?

I'd like to know from those who are LEOs and those who have had conversations with LEOs, what is the policy of LEOs in your area as to when it is appropriate to demand of a person that they present their LTCH for inspection? When is is appropriate for the LEO to disarm a carrier, whether OCing or CCing, when the carrier is not exhibitting any criminal behaviour? How about when the carrier is on their own property?
I know Indiana doesn't require it, but in Michigan, if you're stopped by the police, or approached by them for some official business, by law you must disclose that you have a CPL and are armed. If you're not armed, you don't have to disclose.

From the perspective of not wanting to piss off the police, I think I'd tell them anyway, specially if there was some possibility of them finding out, eventually. In all my dealings with LEOs, I've never had one disarm me. Usually, when I tell them I have a CPL and that I'm armed, it's about 50/50, where they say either, "Thanks for telling me." Or, "Ok, that's fine, lets just leave it where it is."

Hopefully, it stays that way.

Tanner

Big Gay Convo Killer?

I am still learning but here goes nothing. In VA if there is no RAS then there is no way a LEO can take your firearm. Like anything els im sure there are exceptions. However consider the constitution and how it limits the power of government.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Call me crazy but simply having a firearm is not a crime or RAS so to demand anything from such person with the threat of arrest by a LEO is a direct violation of the 4th amendment. But let me make it clear. A LEO can ask or demand whatever he wants from you. The question would be do you have the stones to say no? In some cases I might not.

Since I am new and have limited knowledge myself can someone explain how a CHP is constitutional? It sounds like a infringement to me.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Titanium_frost

It is an infringement, just not one the SCOTUS has declared to be so... yet.

The SCOTUS won't issue a decision like that because they do not yet recognoze the individual right to carry a firearm outside of your home. If they did it would be short order to reel in the liberal regressive states like Illionois and California among others.

This is still a state issue and one that ours has made decisions on at the ISC and Appeals level. It is unlawful to inquire about firearms once a valid LTCH has been shown. -Richardson v State of Ind

Once notified of the presence of a weapon and of a valid LTCH no search or seizure may take place- Melvin Washington v State of Ind