Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHP notification at a traffic stop

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

CHP notification at a traffic stop

I have to wonder if Officers are always notified about a CHP when they stop someone.

The reason I wonder is that my wife is always getting pulled over. She never gets tickets, but she gets pulled.

Yesterday she was pulled over for expired tags. She didn't believe it and the cop checked DMV. Sure enough dead. He gave her a warning but never asked about a gun and they never do.

She didn't have a gun but I had left 4 of them including my ultra evil black shotgun, in her car.

It just makes me wonder what the key to notification is.

OC related because it involved my OC guns

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I have to wonder if Officers are always notified about a CHP when they stop someone.

The reason I wonder is that my wife is always getting pulled over. She never gets tickets, but she gets pulled.

Yesterday she was pulled over for expired tags. She didn't believe it and the cop checked DMV. Sure enough dead. He gave her a warning but never asked about a gun and they never do.

She didn't have a gun but I had left 4 of them including my ultra evil black shotgun, in her car.

It just makes me wonder what the key to notification is.

OC related because it involved my OC guns
    As I understand it, in Virginia the CHP info doesn't come up on the car computer automatically.... the officer has to specifically request to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    As I understand it, in Virginia the CHP info doesn't come up on the car computer automatically.... the officer has to specifically request to see it.
    Interesting!

i always thought it showed as soon as they ran the permit holder's driver's license.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by mk4 View Post
    i always thought it showed as soon as they ran the permit holder's driver's license.
    Thats what I had thought too, until myself and a couple others were talking about it with a LEO during a break in a motorcycle ERC course. They indicated that they had to specifically do something to request that info. This was about a year and a half ago. I might have an opportunity to ask someone else this weekend....

My wife was puller over a few months ago and I was in the passenger seat (vehicle registered in my name. The State Trooper walked back with my wifes license on my side and asked if I was Doug xxxxxx and I verified yes, his next question was "do you have your gun on you?". He stated that my CHP came up with the vehicle registration.

Maybe the Staties are trained to "push the extra button."

I have a CHP and was pulled over a year or two ago for expired tags by Chesterfield County. Had sent the money but not applied the new stickers.

He was obviously a trainee officer. I had an empty holster on the seat also. No mention of firearms was ever made. fwiw
    Last edited by riverrat10k; 05-11-2012 at 04:22 PM.

I ride with my best friend all the time, a deputy, everytime he runs a DL, it automatically comes up. The dispatcher gives the info that comes, and always states, holder also has a CHP, he never request to know, it just comes back. Maybe it is a different policy per department.

I was pulled over in a speed trap about three years ago. After going through all the normal process and as the officer (Hampton) was handing me my ticket he asked if I was had my concealed handgun on my. I answered yes. He didn't ask to see my CHP though and simply said have a nice day. (after a ticket it is kind of hard to HAVE a nice day though) :-(

A few months later I received a ticket from a VA Beach officer (really these were/are the only two I have ever received in my life) and he never mentioned anything about my CHP (or any of the bumper stickers etc). He was more of a sour puss too although I wasn't any better at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    I ride with my best friend all the time, a deputy, everytime he runs a DL, it automatically comes up. The dispatcher gives the info that comes, and always states, holder also has a CHP, he never request to know, it just comes back. Maybe it is a different policy per department.
    The dispatcher gives him that info.... or it comes up on the computer in his car? (does his department have computers?)

The dispatcher gives him that info.... or it comes up on the computer in his car? (does his department have computers?)
    My experience is mostly the same as all the other posters. I got stopped for once in my life a couple of years ago going down the HOV lanes after 1530 in NOVA (Woe is me) and was normally asked for me DL and registration. The SP came back after a bit with all documents and asked if I had a weapon. I said, I do have a permit, he said I know! That was it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    My experience is mostly the same as all the other posters. I got stopped for once in my life a couple of years ago going down the HOV lanes after 1530 in NOVA (Woe is me) and was normally asked for me DL and registration. The SP came back after a bit with all documents and asked if I had a weapon. I said, I do have a permit, he said I know! That was it.
    Thinking more about it.... the last time I have been stopped was in N. VA on the bike by VSP, he never asked if I was armed (I was.... ). I did get a traffic ticket though.

Founder's Club Member
    Thinking more about it.... the last time I have been stopped was in N. VA on the bike by VSP, he never asked if I was armed (I was.... ). I did get a traffic ticket though.
    That would be VSP's open door policy: If they open their door you getting a ticket...that's the policy.
    I also know that a CHP comes up very clearly and emphasized on the in car terminal of Fairfax Sheriff's cars when such information is available in the system. A deputy I know demonstrated that to me a few years ago.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    everytime he runs a DL, it automatically comes up.
    That is correct.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    That would be VSP's open door policy: If they open their door you getting a ticket...that's the policy.
    I also know that a CHP comes up very clearly and emphasized on the in car terminal of Fairfax Sheriff's cars when such information is available in the system. A deputy I know demonstrated that to me a few years ago.
    I'll try to catch up with a local LEO this weekend and see how theirs works currently.
    Of course we could just wait for NovaCop to come enlighten us all....

lol

I'll try to catch up with a local LEO this weekend and see how theirs works currently.
    Of course we could just wait for NovaCop to come enlighten us all....

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    Why???
    States don’t have rights. People do.

This must be different in MD...

I got busted for expired tags a few weeks ago (paperwork/change-of-address SNAFU with NC). Despite the fact that I had VCDL and "GSL" magnets on my vehicle, and THREE different CHPs (NC, PA, UT), the MoCo PD officer never asked me if I had any "weapons" in the car, and didn't even mention my permits.

Which is interesting, considering the BPD's (working with WRTAC) recently-issued directive that ANY vehicle with out-of-state tags (especially from NC, V or WV) and "pro-2A" stickers should be treated as a "potential high threat to officer safety"...

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/06/06/b...#axzz1ucdA5nOc
    Last edited by Dreamer; 05-11-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Twice in a month.

I was pulled over twice in a month with a CHP. I was OCing both times and had a second cop approach passenger side both times with not so much as a mention about my firearm. I was quite impressed with the lack of B.S. (both times were for a expired inspection I was still working on items)
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    This must be different in MD...

I got busted for expired tags a few weeks ago (paperwork/change-of-address SNAFU with NC). Despite the fact that I had VCDL and "GSL" magnets on my vehicle, and THREE different CHPs (NC, PA, UT), the MoCo PD officer never asked me if I had any "weapons" in the car, and didn't even mention my permits.
    I doubt that MD is linked up with other states Carry permits/licenses data bases.

For instance, if I go to VA with a PA LTCF, I doubt the VA officer would be able to see it on his computer and dispatch wouldn't probably know.

You would think that when a state has reciprocity, they would be linked. But I dont think its so.
    Last edited by Sig229; 05-12-2012 at 01:02 AM.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
    when dispatch runs a license plate, it automatically shows the registered owner has a chp. The dispatchers in my area automatically pass this information on to the cop immediately. .

why???
    States don’t have rights. People do.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    why???
    If I may borrow a line from Wylde... Brawk Brawk "officer safety" Brawk Brawk "officer safety"

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    My wife was puller over a few months ago and I was in the passenger seat (vehicle registered in my name. The State Trooper walked back with my wifes license on my side and asked if I was Doug xxxxxx and I verified yes, his next question was "do you have your gun on you?". He stated that my CHP came up with the vehicle registration.
    You're a newbie, but bear in mind you had no requirement to answer his questions and had no requirement to answer if you had your firearm on you. The trooper can ask the driver if they have ID, and =might= be able to ask you if you have your CHL as a passenger, but I doubt it. If he sees your firearm (say, bulging or the grip visible) he can ask if you have a =permit=.

By answering his question you're training him to violate 4A rights. You could have said:
    1. Officer am I required to identify myself to you? If so what is your reasonable suspicion I've committed a criminal offense?
    2. Officer, I am a law-abiding citizen and I desire to remain silent.

IANAL, but IMO, he caught you off guard and made you give up info which he had no right to ask.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

I have been pulled over a lot in NOVA, Richmond and places in between. I have a CHP and have never been asked if I have a firearm on me. I have noted a distinct change in the posture of some police when they get both of my hands in view.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    When dispatch runs a license plate, it automatically shows the registered owner has a CHP. The dispatchers in my area automatically pass this information on to the cop immediately. If the registered owner is not in the vehicle, the cop has no need to know if there is a gun in the car or not. But many will press the issue hoping to come out with a concealed weapon charge on the driver if they also do not have a CHP.

I really hate to get into arguments, or try to sound like a know it all, but a lot of people depend on this site for correct information. CHP info does NOT come back with license plate info unless they run criminal back ground check on the registered owner. It only comes up automatically with DL. I am standing here with a Deputy from Dickenson County Sheriffs office, and a Virginia State Trooper both of whom are very big OC supporters and VCDL supporters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast