• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP notification at a traffic stop

Sig229

This must be different in MD...

I got busted for expired tags a few weeks ago (paperwork/change-of-address SNAFU with NC). Despite the fact that I had VCDL and "GSL" magnets on my vehicle, and THREE different CHPs (NC, PA, UT), the MoCo PD officer never asked me if I had any "weapons" in the car, and didn't even mention my permits.

I doubt that MD is linked up with other states Carry permits/licenses data bases.

For instance, if I go to VA with a PA LTCF, I doubt the VA officer would be able to see it on his computer and dispatch wouldn't probably know.

You would think that when a state has reciprocity, they would be linked. But I dont think its so.

Last edited:

sawah

My wife was puller over a few months ago and I was in the passenger seat (vehicle registered in my name. The State Trooper walked back with my wifes license on my side and asked if I was Doug xxxxxx and I verified yes, his next question was "do you have your gun on you?". He stated that my CHP came up with the vehicle registration.

You're a newbie, but bear in mind you had no requirement to answer his questions and had no requirement to answer if you had your firearm on you. The trooper can ask the driver if they have ID, and =might= be able to ask you if you have your CHL as a passenger, but I doubt it. If he sees your firearm (say, bulging or the grip visible) he can ask if you have a =permit=.

By answering his question you're training him to violate 4A rights. You could have said:
1. Officer am I required to identify myself to you? If so what is your reasonable suspicion I've committed a criminal offense?
2. Officer, I am a law-abiding citizen and I desire to remain silent.

IANAL, but IMO, he caught you off guard and made you give up info which he had no right to ask.

speed41ae

I have been pulled over a lot in NOVA, Richmond and places in between. I have a CHP and have never been asked if I have a firearm on me. I have noted a distinct change in the posture of some police when they get both of my hands in view.

paramedic

When dispatch runs a license plate, it automatically shows the registered owner has a CHP. The dispatchers in my area automatically pass this information on to the cop immediately. If the registered owner is not in the vehicle, the cop has no need to know if there is a gun in the car or not. But many will press the issue hoping to come out with a concealed weapon charge on the driver if they also do not have a CHP.

I really hate to get into arguments, or try to sound like a know it all, but a lot of people depend on this site for correct information. CHP info does NOT come back with license plate info unless they run criminal back ground check on the registered owner. It only comes up automatically with DL. I am standing here with a Deputy from Dickenson County Sheriffs office, and a Virginia State Trooper both of whom are very big OC supporters and VCDL supporters.

TFred

You're a newbie, but bear in mind you had no requirement to answer his questions and had no requirement to answer if you had your firearm on you. The trooper can ask the driver if they have ID, and =might= be able to ask you if you have your CHL as a passenger, but I doubt it. If he sees your firearm (say, bulging or the grip visible) he can ask if you have a =permit=.

By answering his question you're training him to violate 4A rights. You could have said:
1. Officer am I required to identify myself to you? If so what is your reasonable suspicion I've committed a criminal offense?
2. Officer, I am a law-abiding citizen and I desire to remain silent.

IANAL, but IMO, he caught you off guard and made you give up info which he had no right to ask.
The law is very tricky here. So tricky, I suspect if it ever reached a higher court, they would make them rewrite it to be clearer.

The pertinent part of Paragraph H of 18.2-308 states*:

"The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer."

There is nothing in the code that says the officer must know that you are carrying a concealed handgun before they are allowed to demand it.

I see this as a Catch-22 situation: You are not required to inform the officer that you are carrying, but if you are carrying, and the officer demands to see your permit, then you must display it for him.

I suppose the truly paranoid officer could make it a point to demand to see the CHP of every person they encounter... They would probably get one of three responses: I don't have a permit, I'm not carrying a concealed handgun, or here is my permit.

I think that would be a legal way for an officer to effectively ask every person they encounter if they are carrying a concealed weapon, even though there is no state code which requires them to divulge such information, generally.

It's a bad part of the law, and it should be fixed.

TFred

* At least until July 1st, after which not having the permit on your person changes from being a Concealed Handgun crime to a civil penalty with a $25 fine:

"The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer. Failure to display the permit and a photo identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer shall be punishable by a $25 civil penalty, which shall be paid into the state treasury. Any attorney for the Commonwealth of the county or city in which the alleged violation occurred may bring an action to recover the civil penalty. A court may waive such penalty upon presentation to the court of a valid permit and a government-issued photo identification. Any law-enforcement officer may issue a summons for the civil violation of failure to display the concealed handgun permit and photo identification upon demand."

Blk97F150

You are not required to inform the officer that you are carrying, but if you are carrying, and the officer demands to see your permit, then you must display it for him.

I think thats technically true.... but I also recall a case in Roanoke where a man refused to answer the 'Are you carrying a gun?' question (after producing his CHP to the officer upon request). He was arrested, and later filed suit. I seem to think he eventually lost on an appeal.

Here is the original story.... (I'm running out the door right now, but this might give you enough info to find the ultimate resolution)
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2419313/posts

t11spanner

In my experience, when we run a VA vehicle through VCIN, anything registered to a CHP holder will automatically bring up the CHP info.

Same goes for the OLN.

Our officers also get that info on their vehicle/motorcycle computers.

The one time I was in a VSP vehicle, my CHP info came up as he ran my info.

When I watched it pop up, I told him that I would have not entered his vehicle without his permission/knowledge if I was carrying at the time. His reply was "I am not worried about you guys, its the thugs/criminals he worries about, or something like that.

Just my experience...

Carl

Sheriff

I really hate to get into arguments, or try to sound like a know it all, but a lot of people depend on this site for correct information. CHP info does NOT come back with license plate info unless they run criminal back ground check on the registered owner. It only comes up automatically with DL. I am standing here with a Deputy from Dickenson County Sheriffs office, and a Virginia State Trooper both of whom are very big OC supporters and VCDL supporters.

No arguments to be had here. It's a learning process. I suppose different areas do things differently. But when our local dispatchers run a license plate check, they used to always automatically run the registered owner's information as well. This way the officer knows the registered owner could possibly have a handgun in the car as he is walking up to it. Once the officer gets to the car, at least he knows the possibility of a firearm was there even if the registered owner isn't driving. It does no good to have the CHP information available to the officer if the officer doesn't know it before he walks up to the car, agreed?

Last edited:

Sheriff

WTF? Duplicate post.

Last edited:

Sheriff

I have been pulled over a lot in NOVA, Richmond and places in between. I have a CHP and have never been asked if I have a firearm on me. I have noted a distinct change in the posture of some police when they get both of my hands in view.

Have you ever seen the movie Fargo? Before we say, "it's just a movie", it was based on a true story. I used to worry about other occupants much more than the driver. As a driver, you can be picking your nose with one hand and scratching your butt with the other hand, I am more interested in what the other people in the car are up to and planning.

zekester

Missouri has got some goofy laws, but at least we do not have to "register" firearms....I mean really....To buy the damn thing we had to go through an extensive background check, what business is that of the LEO to know that I have a weapon.

You pull me over, find out that I own a firearm...so I ask...aren't you going to treat me different?...

Oh wait...aren't you supposed to take every stop and consider everyone armed?

We all hear about "Officer's Safety"..I call B.S.!!!,your training should be your safety!!!!...If you already assume we have a firearm, I think you would react one way....IF you "KNOW" we own one, I think you would act differently, even if I do not have it at the time!!

Hell, that is like you coming to Cardinals baseball game, but your license plate is from Illinois. I must "assume" you are not a Cards Fan...therefore you must be a bad guy (CUBS fan),and if you ARE wearing a Card's Jersey...you must be a spy....(call Homeland Security!!)...I treat you different!! (lol)

That said, only law abiding citizens are going to "register" a weapon, and if you decide to pull someone over, find out that they have a registered weapon, I would think that more respect and less fear is in order. Otherwise...let us register green shirts, I am sure I can find some kind of study that says that people with green shirts are more apt to commit crime than someone in a "hoodie". (pun intended)

Let us take this up a notch! How many crimes are committed by people with red hair?...Now we have to register all hair color purchases for people with red hair that wish to change their look...I ask you...where does it stop?!!!!

Just discrimination on another level!

Z

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Missouri has got some goofy laws, but at least we do not have to "register" firearms....I mean really....To buy the damn thing we had to go through an extensive background check, what business is that of the LEO to know that I have a weapon.

You pull me over, find out that I own a firearm...so I ask...aren't you going to treat me different?...

Oh wait...aren't you supposed to take every stop and consider everyone armed?

We all hear about "Officer's Safety".....if you already assume we have a firearm, I think you would react one way....IF you "KNOW" I own one, I think you would act differently, even if I do not have it at the time!!

Hell, that is like coming to Cardinals baseball game, but your license plate is from Ill. I must assume you are not a Cards Fan...therefore you must be a bad guy (CUBS fan)....I treat you different!! (lol)

Just discrimination on another level!

That said, only law abiding citizens are going to "register" a weapon, and if you decide to pull someone over, find out that they have a registered weapon, I would think that more respect and less fear. Otherwise...let us register green shirts, I am sure I can find some kind of study that says that people with green shirts are more apt to commit crime than someone in a "hoodie". (pun intended)

Virginia doesn't have registration but LE is using CHP's as Gun Owner registration. That's one of the two complaints I have about CHP's and the big reason I refuse to get one.

zekester

so to get a CHP....you have to give them the info on your firearm?

what if you have TEN handguns....you have to give them info on all of them?

Or I may have read that incorrectly....by getting a CHP....it shows that you have a firearm?

DUH...of course it does...do they know that if it is a basic traffic stop...say running a red light....is the CHP connected with your DL?
or license plate

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
so to get a CHP....you have to give them the info on your firearm?

what if you have TEN handguns....you have to give them info on all of them?

Or I may have read that incorrectly....by getting a CHP....it shows that you have a firearm?

DUH...of course it does...do they know that if it is a basic traffic stop...say running a red light....is the CHP connected with your DL?
or license plate

No, you don't...you used to but no longer.
It stands to reason though, that if you have a CHP, you own a firearm...."Gun Owner Registration"!

If it comes up with the DL info seems to depend on the Department judging by the posts here.

Last edited:

zekester

No arguments to be had here. It's a learning process. I suppose different areas do things differently. But when our local dispatchers run a license plate check, they used to always automatically run the registered owner's information as well. This way the officer knows the registered owner could possibly have a handgun in the car as he is walking up to it. Once the officer gets to the car, at least he knows the possibility of a firearm was there even if the registered owner isn't driving. It does no good to have the CHP information available to the officer if the officer doesn't know it before he walks up to the car, agreed?

I am still trying to figure out what business is it of an officer to know that I "may" have a handgun....shouldn't you assume this anyway?

If not....then us as "citizens" should have a computer system in our car, so that when "you" pull us over, we can run a background check on you, with the same capablities the officer has!!

Oh wait.....if that happens, they will come up with some other fee to charge us.....we already pay for the govenrment to access this information...then we would have to pay for our own, and you can bet their will be a permit process...like.....you would have to buy Windows Vista...lol....

Last edited:

wylde007

i always thought it showed as soon as they ran the permit holder's driver's license. :uhoh:
It does in Virginia Beach, because it has happened to me. I was Terry-stopped years ago and they demanded ID which I was not obligated to provide, but did... woe is me.

Anyhow, they may not know from running tags (which they might do BEFORE they even approach a vehicle) but they certainly know immediately upon checking your license. Then they pull the "are you carrying" mumbo-jumbo, which is just another theater act to see how much dominion they can exercise over you.

45acpForMe

It does in Virginia Beach, because it has happened to me. I was Terry-stopped years ago and they demanded ID which I was not obligated to provide, but did... woe is me.

Anyhow, they may not know from running tags (which they might do BEFORE they even approach a vehicle) but they certainly know immediately upon checking your license. Then they pull the "are you carrying" mumbo-jumbo, which is just another theater act to see how much dominion they can exercise over you.

While VA in general doesn't have a stop and ID law where you have to provide ID, I thought VA Beach did have a local ordinance. Depending on where I am driving to/from my customers I may not know whether I am in VA Beach, Norfolk or Chesapeake. Am I wrong about the VA Beach ordinance? Do other localities have similar ordinances if VA Beach does? I figure if the person pulling me over is wearing a uniform from that city it will tell me where I am. :)