• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP notification at a traffic stop

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have to wonder if Officers are always notified about a CHP when they stop someone.

The reason I wonder is that my wife is always getting pulled over. She never gets tickets, but she gets pulled.

Yesterday she was pulled over for expired tags. She didn't believe it and the cop checked DMV. Sure enough dead. He gave her a warning but never asked about a gun and they never do.

She didn't have a gun but I had left 4 of them including my ultra evil black shotgun, in her car.

It just makes me wonder what the key to notification is.

OC related because it involved my OC guns:uhoh:

Blk97F150

I have to wonder if Officers are always notified about a CHP when they stop someone.

The reason I wonder is that my wife is always getting pulled over. She never gets tickets, but she gets pulled.

Yesterday she was pulled over for expired tags. She didn't believe it and the cop checked DMV. Sure enough dead. He gave her a warning but never asked about a gun and they never do.

She didn't have a gun but I had left 4 of them including my ultra evil black shotgun, in her car.

It just makes me wonder what the key to notification is.

OC related because it involved my OC guns:uhoh:

As I understand it, in Virginia the CHP info doesn't come up on the car computer automatically.... the officer has to specifically request to see it.

mk4

As I understand it, in Virginia the CHP info doesn't come up on the car computer automatically.... the officer has to specifically request to see it.

i always thought it showed as soon as they ran the permit holder's driver's license. :uhoh:

Blk97F150

i always thought it showed as soon as they ran the permit holder's driver's license. :uhoh:

Thats what I had thought too, until myself and a couple others were talking about it with a LEO during a break in a motorcycle ERC course. They indicated that they had to specifically do something to request that info. This was about a year and a half ago. I might have an opportunity to ask someone else this weekend....

Ranger

My wife was puller over a few months ago and I was in the passenger seat (vehicle registered in my name. The State Trooper walked back with my wifes license on my side and asked if I was Doug xxxxxx and I verified yes, his next question was "do you have your gun on you?". He stated that my CHP came up with the vehicle registration.

riverrat10k

Maybe the Staties are trained to "push the extra button."

I have a CHP and was pulled over a year or two ago for expired tags by Chesterfield County. Had sent the money but not applied the new stickers.

He was obviously a trainee officer. I had an empty holster on the seat also. No mention of firearms was ever made. fwiw

Last edited:

paramedic

I ride with my best friend all the time, a deputy, everytime he runs a DL, it automatically comes up. The dispatcher gives the info that comes, and always states, holder also has a CHP, he never request to know, it just comes back. Maybe it is a different policy per department.

45acpForMe

I was pulled over in a speed trap about three years ago. After going through all the normal process and as the officer (Hampton) was handing me my ticket he asked if I was had my concealed handgun on my. I answered yes. He didn't ask to see my CHP though and simply said have a nice day. (after a ticket it is kind of hard to HAVE a nice day though) :-(

A few months later I received a ticket from a VA Beach officer (really these were/are the only two I have ever received in my life) and he never mentioned anything about my CHP (or any of the bumper stickers etc). He was more of a sour puss too although I wasn't any better at the time.

Blk97F150

I ride with my best friend all the time, a deputy, everytime he runs a DL, it automatically comes up. The dispatcher gives the info that comes, and always states, holder also has a CHP, he never request to know, it just comes back. Maybe it is a different policy per department.

The dispatcher gives him that info.... or it comes up on the computer in his car? (does his department have computers?)

stickslinger

The dispatcher gives him that info.... or it comes up on the computer in his car? (does his department have computers?)

My experience is mostly the same as all the other posters. I got stopped for once in my life a couple of years ago going down the HOV lanes after 1530 in NOVA (Woe is me) and was normally asked for me DL and registration. The SP came back after a bit with all documents and asked if I had a weapon. I said, I do have a permit, he said I know! That was it.

Blk97F150

My experience is mostly the same as all the other posters. I got stopped for once in my life a couple of years ago going down the HOV lanes after 1530 in NOVA (Woe is me) and was normally asked for me DL and registration. The SP came back after a bit with all documents and asked if I had a weapon. I said, I do have a permit, he said I know! That was it.

Thinking more about it.... the last time I have been stopped was in N. VA on the bike by VSP, he never asked if I was armed (I was.... ). I did get a traffic ticket though. :eek:

Toad

Founder's Club Member
Thinking more about it.... the last time I have been stopped was in N. VA on the bike by VSP, he never asked if I was armed (I was.... ). I did get a traffic ticket though. :eek:

That would be VSP's open door policy: If they open their door you getting a ticket...that's the policy.
I also know that a CHP comes up very clearly and emphasized on the in car terminal of Fairfax Sheriff's cars when such information is available in the system. A deputy I know demonstrated that to me a few years ago.

Blk97F150

That would be VSP's open door policy: If they open their door you getting a ticket...that's the policy.
I also know that a CHP comes up very clearly and emphasized on the in car terminal of Fairfax Sheriff's cars when such information is available in the system. A deputy I know demonstrated that to me a few years ago.

I'll try to catch up with a local LEO this weekend and see how theirs works currently.
Of course we could just wait for NovaCop to come enlighten us all.... :uhoh:

lol

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll try to catch up with a local LEO this weekend and see how theirs works currently.
Of course we could just wait for NovaCop to come enlighten us all.... :uhoh:

lol

be-quiet-shhh-shh-shhhh-silence-please-1.gif

mrjam2jab

Why???

Sheriff

When dispatch runs a license plate, it automatically shows the registered owner has a CHP. The dispatchers in my area automatically pass this information on to the cop immediately. If the registered owner is not in the vehicle, the cop has no need to know if there is a gun in the car or not. But many will press the issue hoping to come out with a concealed weapon charge on the driver if they also do not have a CHP.

Dreamer

This must be different in MD...

I got busted for expired tags a few weeks ago (paperwork/change-of-address SNAFU with NC). Despite the fact that I had VCDL and "GSL" magnets on my vehicle, and THREE different CHPs (NC, PA, UT), the MoCo PD officer never asked me if I had any "weapons" in the car, and didn't even mention my permits.

Which is interesting, considering the BPD's (working with WRTAC) recently-issued directive that ANY vehicle with out-of-state tags (especially from NC, V or WV) and "pro-2A" stickers should be treated as a "potential high threat to officer safety"...

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/06/06/baltimore-police-issue-2nd-amendment-decal-warning/#axzz1ucdA5nOc

Last edited:

ryan7068

Twice in a month.

I was pulled over twice in a month with a CHP. I was OCing both times and had a second cop approach passenger side both times with not so much as a mention about my firearm. I was quite impressed with the lack of B.S. (both times were for a expired inspection I was still working on items)