• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

east liverpool ohio

cranston2169

Hi im fairly new to handguns and live in a bad area for both crime and horrible police. I will be getting my ccw very soon, but until then i am thinking of open carrying my weapon. I am hoping for some advice because the police here do not recognize o/c and i do not plan on giving up my rights because they are ignorant of the law. Any thoughts will be helpful so thanks.

cKuR6

The musts I have read are:
Voice Recorder
Be ready to be hassled
Make sure you know your rights & what to say/not to say. Which ='s read up on here a lot more.

Hareuhal

The musts I have read are:
Voice Recorder
Be ready to be hassled
Make sure you know your rights & what to say/not to say. Which ='s read up on here a lot more.

I just recently starting OCing as well, my CCW appointment is for the 30th, but I've been carrying openly thus far.
I'd definitely say to read up a lot. I don't know how many times I've read the same material over and over just to remember it better.
Even at that, I've still asked some questions on here just to reassure myself that I was understanding it correctly.

Also something I personally did was write down ORC 9.68 as well as a couple others on index cards to read randomly...Or who knows, if I get stopped, I may be able to read it off to the LEO to inform him, who knows. Really, until I'm completely comfortable with it, I've been carrying those as well as page 17 (or 18?) of the CCW book in which it states the OCing is legal activity..Will any of this actually help me if someone hassles me...who knows. But it comforts me a bit more, anyway! :p

And yes, definitely get a recorder. So far I haven't had to use mine at all to defend myself...because I haven't been hassled yet..but anytime I'm out and about it's definitely recording. I was recommended this one by another member http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...p?id=1218291943350&skuId=1792142#BVRRWidgetID and I'll attest that it is a great deal..the clarity is fantastic!

Good luck!

MyWifeSaidYes

Do you know of any events in E. Liverpool that make you believe the police are anti-OC? Most are, just by nature of being LEO's, but folks around here would love to hear about events in your neck of the woods!

hermannr

Hi im fairly new to handguns and live in a bad area for both crime and horrible police. I will be getting my ccw very soon, but until then i am thinking of open carrying my weapon. I am hoping for some advice because the police here do not recognize o/c and i do not plan on giving up my rights because they are ignorant of the law. Any thoughts will be helpful so thanks.

Know the law and carry with confidence and the chances you will be hasseled will go way down. It is the Nervous Nellys that get hasseled. The nervousness gets peoples interest up...You act confident and people will not even notice you. Worked for me for over 40 years.

Hareuhal

Know the law and carry with confidence and the chances you will be hasseled will go way down. It is the Nervous Nellys that get hasseled. The nervousness gets peoples interest up...You act confident and people will not even notice you. Worked for me for over 40 years.

Sounds like common sense, but I know anytime I OC, I make sure I'm dressed respectably...I actually got into a conversation with some elderly ladies one day about it, and they even commented on how I was dressed.

cranston2169

Do you know of any events in E. Liverpool that make you believe the police are anti-OC? Most are, just by nature of being LEO's, but folks around here would love to hear about events in your neck of the woods!

well i called the police station just to be safe and to make sure everything i have read about was correct and up to date. They told me not to o/c because it wasnt legal to do so. i know that it is legal tried to tell them so but they wanted to hear nothing about and said my weapon would be conficated and i would be given weapon charges. sorry about spelling and punct. i am on my phone and thanks to everyone for their great answers

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Any thoughts will be helpful so thanks.

well i called the police station just to be safe and to make sure everything i have read about was correct and up to date. They told me not to o/c because it wasnt legal to do so. i know that it is legal tried to tell them so but they wanted to hear nothing about and said my weapon would be conficated and i would be given weapon charges. sorry about spelling and punct. i am on my phone and thanks to everyone for their great answers
You asked for advice, I'll give you some.

1) Don't call the police and ask what the law says - they're not lawyers.

2) Don't call the police and ask if they know the law - they don't.

3) Don't call the police and tell them what is legal/not legal a) ever and b) when you don't know what's legal and not legal.

4) READ, READ then READ SOME MORE here before you even think about OCing in your neck of the woods. Being knowledgeable and otherwise prepared will not stop undesirable contacts, but will direct your behavior for better ultimate results. It's clear (at least to me) that you are woefully unprepared.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

What police department did you call?

Did you get the name of the person(s) you talked to?

I concur with BB62's post above. Read more. Learn more. Don't talk to the police

cranston2169

You asked for advice, I'll give you some.

1) Don't call the police and ask what the law says - they're not lawyers.

2) Don't call the police and ask if they know the law - they don't.

3) Don't call the police and tell them what is legal/not legal a) ever and b) when you don't know what's legal and not legal.

4) READ, READ then READ SOME MORE here before you even think about OCing in your neck of the woods. Being knowledgeable and otherwise prepared will not stop undesirable contacts, but will direct your behavior for better ultimate results. It's clear (at least to me) that you are woefully unprepared.

Thanks for info...im readin all that i can to better equip myself.and wont o/c until i feel i know the laws inside and out. I talked to the police because i was under the impression they would know and would help fill in the blanks. I have a resource to learn from now in this site that i didnt have before

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for info...im readin all that i can to better equip myself.and wont o/c until i feel i know the laws inside and out. I talked to the police because i was under the impression they would know and would help fill in the blanks. I have a resource to learn from now in this site that i didnt have before
Fair enough. Thanks.

Read, and not just about Ohio happenings. You must take the first steps to educate yourself by doing lots of reading. You will gain respect and confidence when you do so - and of course we're here to help you.

Remember, if you OC with a gun but without knowledge, you're still unarmed.

Last edited:

Brian D.

This isn't 100% on topic but may say something about one or more law enforcement agencies in the part of Ohio where our original poster resides. It used to be a not uncommon practice for the LEO's on the Ohio side of the river to cite those from Ky. or W.Va. for only having one license plate on their vehicle. In Ohio the law requires plates front and back---for the residents of Ohio that is, NOT the out-of-staters. But some of the police "misinterpreted" the statute, and if a Kentuckian or West Virginian didn't know better or were badgered about it, they'd sometimes pay the ticket. My understanding is that a smattering of local, county, and even Ohio Highway Patrol wrote those citations, it wasn't one cop from a "one cop town".

Just thought a little local historyabout where the OP is from might help him understand why he needs to learn the relevant firearms laws for himself.