Thread: NoVa Open Carry Community Service - Adopt-A-Highway road change..

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

NoVa Open Carry Community Service - Adopt-A-Highway road change..

Over four years ago, we adopted a 2 mile section of Route 7 near the Dulles Toll road under the adopt-a-highway program. It seems that for many of those years "mostly" folks from Loudoun County picked up that section of Fairfax County road. Today, Ray Fary and I relinquished that section of road back to Fairfax County and have secured a new 2 mile section to adopt in Loudoun County! First pick-up will be this summer! We now have Cascades Parkway in Sterling between Route 7 and Church Road. Walking distance from at least 10 homes of frequent NoVa Open Carriers.

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

As someone who has never volunteered to come up to help... (translate: take this for what it's worth )

It seems that one thing to be considered in selecting a road is the sign and the publicity and the good will behind the task. Will you have more impact in in a Loudoun neighborhood of open carriers, or in Fairfax, where many of the residents and out-of-state visitors who use that road literally think that all gun owners are criminals?

Taken to its logical conclusion, what if you could somehow sign up for the 1600 block of Pennsylvania Avenue in DC? You can't carry there yet, but you could show up and show that you are good citizens. Think of the impact a sign in front of the White House with opencarry.org or VCDL.org would have.

Just a thought.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    As someone who has never volunteered to come up to help... (translate: take this for what it's worth )

It seems that one thing to be considered in selecting a road is the sign and the publicity and the good will behind the task. Will you have more impact in in a Loudoun neighborhood of open carriers, or in Fairfax, where many of the residents and out-of-state visitors who use that road literally think that all gun owners are criminals?

Taken to its logical conclusion, what if you could somehow sign up for the 1600 block of Pennsylvania Avenue in DC? You can't carry there yet, but you could show up and show that you are good citizens. Think of the impact a sign in front of the White House with opencarry.org or VCDL.org would have.

Just a thought.

TFred
    I understand TFred.. and that was the idea when we originally signed up near tysons... A busy stretch of road right before the presidential election. Carz whizzing past at 60 mph hardly notice. And most of the helpers came from Loudoun. Then once we were done we all had to "travel" to go eat.

Now, we can pick up where cars go 35 mph and when we are done, we go to a restaurant of our choosing within a mile and clean the community in which we live.. So we tried it the one way, now we are trying the other.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Hello I am new to the site and OC so im not ashamed to ask a stupid question. what does NoVa stand for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    what does NoVa stand for.
    Northern Virginia.. (Basically there is Northern Virginia and then everywhere else).. I am sure Peter Nap has a different description.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Northern Virginia.. (Basically there is Northern Virginia and then everywhere else).. I am sure Peter Nap has a different description.
    That's got to be one of the OCDO understatements of the year!

TFred

Ed...you crack me up. LMAO

Sometimes you can just feel the love here.

Actually I think you have captured Peter's thoughts on the matter very well.

Any difference between you two is to be found in the descriptive adjectives applied to the area.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit