• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVa Open Carry Community Service - Adopt-A-Highway road change..

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Over four years ago, we adopted a 2 mile section of Route 7 near the Dulles Toll road under the adopt-a-highway program. It seems that for many of those years "mostly" folks from Loudoun County picked up that section of Fairfax County road. Today, Ray Fary and I relinquished that section of road back to Fairfax County and have secured a new 2 mile section to adopt in Loudoun County! First pick-up will be this summer! We now have Cascades Parkway in Sterling between Route 7 and Church Road. Walking distance from at least 10 homes of frequent NoVa Open Carriers.

581735_379966145386808_100001202771197_1133700_777047658_n.jpg

TFred

As someone who has never volunteered to come up to help... (translate: take this for what it's worth :))

It seems that one thing to be considered in selecting a road is the sign and the publicity and the good will behind the task. Will you have more impact in in a Loudoun neighborhood of open carriers, or in Fairfax, where many of the residents and out-of-state visitors who use that road literally think that all gun owners are criminals?

Taken to its logical conclusion, what if you could somehow sign up for the 1600 block of Pennsylvania Avenue in DC? You can't carry there yet, but you could show up and show that you are good citizens. Think of the impact a sign in front of the White House with opencarry.org or VCDL.org would have.

Just a thought. :)

TFred

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
As someone who has never volunteered to come up to help... (translate: take this for what it's worth :))

It seems that one thing to be considered in selecting a road is the sign and the publicity and the good will behind the task. Will you have more impact in in a Loudoun neighborhood of open carriers, or in Fairfax, where many of the residents and out-of-state visitors who use that road literally think that all gun owners are criminals?

Taken to its logical conclusion, what if you could somehow sign up for the 1600 block of Pennsylvania Avenue in DC? You can't carry there yet, but you could show up and show that you are good citizens. Think of the impact a sign in front of the White House with opencarry.org or VCDL.org would have.

Just a thought. :)

TFred
I understand TFred.. and that was the idea when we originally signed up near tysons... A busy stretch of road right before the presidential election. Carz whizzing past at 60 mph hardly notice. And most of the helpers came from Loudoun. Then once we were done we all had to "travel" to go eat.

Now, we can pick up where cars go 35 mph and when we are done, we go to a restaurant of our choosing within a mile and clean the community in which we live.. So we tried it the one way, now we are trying the other.

Doogie

Northern Virginia.. (Basically there is Northern Virginia and then everywhere else).. I am sure Peter Nap has a different description.

Ed...you crack me up. LMAO

Sometimes you can just feel the love here. :lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Northern Virginia.. (Basically there is Northern Virginia and then everywhere else).. I am sure Peter Nap has a different description.

Actually I think you have captured Peter's thoughts on the matter very well.

Any difference between you two is to be found in the descriptive adjectives applied to the area.

stay safe.