• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reciprocal agreement with Texas

JBarL

Question About New Mexico Reciprocity Agreement with Texas
Hello,

I am a Concealed Handgun Instructor for the State of Texas Trying to get clarification on the reciprocal agreement. I had a student last week arguing with me.
Could someone from the State of New Mexico help me to clarify if New mexico allows Texas CHL to carry in that State.
Thanks
JBarL

AH.74

Your student may have been referring to the recent situation in NM where they dropped all states they had been honoring except 5, and then in response to the outrage and/or other influencing factors, basically said "oops, sorry" and added them all back. Supposedly they were just conducting an "audit" and are still making their minds up as to what they will end up doing.

To answer your question directly; as of today, yes- NM honors the TX CHL. But that may change. Hopefully not, if they're even half-way intelligent (very questionable based on what happened).

For future reference, use this excellent site as a trusted resource:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

JBarL

A.H.
Thanks for the info on that. I printed out the reciprocal agreement from New Mexico DPS and as of May 1st it is still honorable. So I will keep a close eye on this matter in the future. I travel to New Mexico alot have family there So I would like to know if I would be able to carry with my CHL I know they are a open carry state But I just prefer to keep it a secret lol again thanks for the info.
JBarL